Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The Superfractor 1/1 ended at $25,000.00!

At least he got free shipping! image

Comments

• And to think our economy is in the shape it is.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭

<< <i>And to think our economy is in the shape it is. >>

In what way or is that just cliche talk?

Are you surprised that it didn't go higher because more people would be potential bidders but backed off due to the economy?

Sorry to be a bit cynical and truly nothing against you, but if anyone spending any serious(defined by each individual situation) money on sportscards doesn't understand that modern cards are often subject to the Greater Fool Theory and even greater when your at or near this price level.

Any person that is basically telling me they value a Stephen Strasburg or whatever parallel blah blah blah more than Wilt Chamberlain, Ted Williams, Mantle, Aaron, Mays, Unitas, Namath, Jim Brown, Orr, Howe, Cobb, and so on, true legends and cards that have a nice history with much fewer inevitables to worry about(injuries, etc...) that is hard to convince me to even consider puttting any money there.

• fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Funny Bidding on these New Hype cards... Someones got to teach these clowns how to bid and win.

Most if not all of the bids were way too early (usually so one can brag he bid on it), and the 2 highest bidders had the same exact bid as winner, $25K, yet the 2nd place guy didnt throw out $100 more, he would have won. There were NO bids at the end, why? Very strange bidding habits in New shinny cards IMO. Looks like its a status thing to bid on these for these new card collectors, and in the end no one was really serious about Winning it. It sold by default.

If it were a tough vintage (PreWar) card that only showed once every 10 years or so..... it would have had most of its bids in the last 5 seconds with snipes, and no one serious about winning a prized card would ever bid more than once (why run up the bids).
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Frank, don't forget if it was a rare pre war type it would've also had half a dozen low ball offers to end it early.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    I love shiny modern cards.. they make me decent money.

And to think someone paid $20k for the Clay Bucholtz autographed superfractor (off ebay transaction)

• stormsurgestormsurge Posts: 859 ✭✭
    I bet money that Griffins bought it! image
  • What I don't get is that so many people were ripping the first guy that bought it for $16k. I remember all of the post about modern cards this and he doesn't know what he is doing and a fool and his money. Turns out he did a smart business move and made a great profit in just 3 weeks. I sense a lot of jealousy on these boards that others did not get the chance to do this. Personally I would never pay that amount but my hat is off to anyone who wants to. I collect older hockey and agree with most about vintage but you also have to remember a lot of people buying these have pockets too deep for me to imagine.

• << <i>

<< <i>And to think our economy is in the shape it is. >>

In what way or is that just cliche talk?

Are you surprised that it didn't go higher because more people would be potential bidders but backed off due to the economy?

Sorry to be a bit cynical and truly nothing against you, but if anyone spending any serious(defined by each individual situation) money on sportscards doesn't understand that modern cards are often subject to the Greater Fool Theory and even greater when your at or near this price level.

Any person that is basically telling me they value a Stephen Strasburg or whatever parallel blah blah blah more than Wilt Chamberlain, Ted Williams, Mantle, Aaron, Mays, Unitas, Namath, Jim Brown, Orr, Howe, Cobb, and so on, true legends and cards that have a nice history with much fewer inevitables to worry about(injuries, etc...) that is hard to convince me to even consider puttting any money there. >>

What you said. Greater fool theory plus unwarranted track record for $25K reminds me of the tech stock bubble. At some point, someone will be left holding a tulip. Plus, how many more 1/1 cards are out there that manufacturers put out to hype their products?

To me, the market started falling off after 1992-1993. I'd love to collect a PSA basic set of Will Clark, but said forget it after I saw how many cards there were after 1994.

On another note, I argue that some of the players you mentioned above will mean much less to collectors in the future. I, for instance, did not see any of the players you referenced and they do not mean much to me on a personal level (i.e. dad did not take me to see Mantle) although I greatly appreciate the history and contribution. Boomers love to play up the old stuff but even I would rather have their cards than most of this new stuff.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • i think the person thats running the show over at topps deserves a big fat juicy raise,, their the ones who did their job promoting, marketing, selling the topps product, ill bet their stock went up this year with the million card give-a-way and now the strasburg phenom.,, good job topps,,,,, bj
    imageimageimageimageimage

• << <i>What I don't get is that so many people were ripping the first guy that bought it for $16k. I remember all of the post about modern cards this and he doesn't know what he is doing and a fool and his money. Turns out he did a smart business move and made a great profit in just 3 weeks. I sense a lot of jealousy on these boards that others did not get the chance to do this. Personally I would never pay that amount but my hat is off to anyone who wants to. I collect older hockey and agree with most about vintage but you also have to remember a lot of people buying these have pockets too deep for me to imagine. >>

Exactly
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i don't care how good the kid is, he's doomed if his team don't score.

the tip of the iceberg has begun to melt.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i don't care how good the kid is, he's doomed if his team don't score.

the tip of the iceberg has begun to melt. >>

Fear not Jeff. Soon we're gonna fit him up for a nice pair of pinstripes.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>i don't care how good the kid is, he's doomed if his team don't score.

the tip of the iceberg has begun to melt. >>

Fear not Jeff. Soon we're gonna fit him up for a nice pair of pinstripes. >>

not if the men in white coats get him first. image
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Rumors have Adam Dunn being traded before the deadline. Dunn is the only consistent producer on the team this year. hard to believe the Nats will score LESS.

As for Strasburg, watching all five of his starts, I have concluded that against a patient team, he is hittable. The problem is, most lineups do not have a string of hitters who are and will swing at his breaking stuff. It will be interesting to see what he will do against some of the better hitting teams in the NL as his first four games did not come against the strongest of hitting teams.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • SalinasSalinas Posts: 326
    Dunn? You must be forgetting All Star 3rd Baseman Zimmerman. And Willingham is having another solid year. Get rid of done, and the team is essentially the same. there are more problems with the team than hitting. Fielding killed the game last night for Strasburg.
    I collect PSA graded 1980-81 Basketball.

Successful transactions with bouwob, lifeshouldbefun, SDSportsFan, Bkritz, tsalems1, kwtoz, johnny1976, Topps29, Calaban7, nascar20, bking, bedellsonics, Beck6, Dialj, Echocanyon, mdkuom, gosteelers, artimus.
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I love shiny modern cards.. they make me decent money.

And to think someone paid $20k for the Clay Bucholtz autographed superfractor (off ebay transaction) >>

I believe that was an April Fool's joke of some kind
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dunn? You must be forgetting All Star 3rd Baseman Zimmerman. And Willingham is having another solid year. Get rid of done, and the team is essentially the same. there are more problems with the team than hitting. Fielding killed the game last night for Strasburg. >>

I am not saying Zimmerman isnt a good player, but he has been hitting under .250 with 2 HR and 6 RBI in June and Willingham has only been batting in the .250's during the month of June and I was speaking on a level of consistency. Neither of those two players have ever been consistent, they have always produced their stats in quick spurts. On a team like the nationals where the majority of your offense is from 3 or 4 players, losing Dunn is a huge loss depending on what they get back. Thats not to say these players are not good, but with Zimmerman/Willingham usually batting 3rd and 5th with Dunn in the middle, there is going to be a big shift of pitching by the opponents if either of these players have Bernadina/Morse/Harris batting behind them. Getting rid of Dunn means less RBI's for the #5 batter and less protection for the #3. Dunn's OBP is almost .400 for his career and that will make a huge difference in the offense.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Do you really honestly think someone paid for that card? Are you kidding??? image anyone interested in buying a bridge?
  • drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    a few posts seemingly defending modern shiny cards, but how many people here have actually spent $5,000 on a card from 1980 to present?