Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What coin is your own personal holy grail?

2»

Comments

• Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    1884 or 1885 3CN in business strike.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭
    My bust half dollar image

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a long time I really wanted a nice S-1 Chain Cent, and the right one could fit that bill. Lately I've been thinking it's this coin, merely an upgrade to the one I already own:

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the fun side, I sure would like to see an XF-45 1912-S Liberty nickel.

On a more serious note, I wish I knew where the PCGS PR-64 1878 Reverse of 1879 Morgan Dollar is hiding. It hasn't appeared in public view in 15 years.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clipped 1909-S VDB, same as always. My good friend finally parted with his earlier this year when I had no chance of affording it, and even less so once the dealer marked it up. Right behind that would be a clipped 1933-D Lincoln, that's the one date from my set that I've never heard of or seen (the others I've found record of, they're just very rare).

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    TevaTeva Posts: 830
    This one is easy for me its a 1793 chain cent.
    I have passed on a couple and I am still beating myself up for passing on the last one because it had a foggy date but it had a date so now that you have reminded me I think I will have another pitty party todayimage
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lot of good responses by everyone. Had no idea there would be so many different answers. Really cool thread to read through.

Mine is the 1913 V-Nickel image

Second on my list would be to stir up trouble with a legit to own 1964 Peace Dollar!

Greg
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    A true full head 1927-s Standing Liberty quarter or a problem-free Chain cent VG or higher.
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486

<< <i>image >>

Me too, that's the one I lust after!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always wanted one of those high-grade, prooflike 1796 quarters from the Col. Green accumulation

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1796 or 97 half dollar in perfect vf. >>

Mine too. A 78-S half in perfect XF would be another.
  • Options
    I've always wanted one of those high-grade, prooflike 1796 quarters from the Col. Green accumulation

Is that where those come from? I never heard of that accumulation. What's the story on that?
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    true and simple happiness would do it for me
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    my holy grail would probably be my 1872 $2.50 in VF35 out of the richmond collection. Its got a nice low mintage and it was the highlight of my early gold collecting days
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Eliasberg Quintiple Stella.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1835 LM-12 Capped Bust Half-Dime. 3 known, one was at auction a couple weeks ago and I forgot all about it. Rumor has that my bid may have taken it....
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1814 Classic Large Cent (plain 4 variety), properly graded in a PC 4 BN holder. I've only seen one of them like this, and at the time, it belonged to a forum member. I'm never going to see one like that again.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    In patterns, I'm with MJ, an Amazonian quarter. A close second however to the James Stack 1873-CC No Arrows Seated Quarter. From the Briggs' book...

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any U.S. coin dated 1793 in uncirculated condition!
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    Only the lottery is holding me back . The coin is the 1913 Liberty Nickel , as I have the rest of the set .
    The mini grails are six more shield nickels , and about 7 more buffalo nickels . Then , after euphoria ,
    I have to start upgrading .
    Home of quality widgets
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've always wanted one of those high-grade, prooflike 1796 quarters from the Col. Green accumulation

Is that where those come from? I never heard of that accumulation. What's the story on that? >>

From the 1796 Bust Quarter section of my book...

"From the comments of longtime coin dealer Abe Kosoff in the book “Abe Kosoff Remembers”, it is believed that collector (hoarder) Colonel E.H.R. Green, son of Hettie Green the “Witch of Wall Street”, had an unbelievable group of nearly 100 uncirculated pieces when his collection was dispersed during the 1930’s and 1940’s. Kosoff relates seeing this large grouping when dealer James G. MacAllister, who along with Burdette G. Johnson, liquidated the vast holdings of Colonel Green, offered them to him. This hoard also included many proof-like examples of perhaps both die marriages. It is not known how or when this hoard was accumulated. Some or all of these may have come from the Virgil Brand holdings. Both Green and Brand had almost unlimited funds and were buyers of multiple coins and multiple collections."

As an aside: Eric Newman also saw these coins and was able to pick out one for his collection, along with several of the Browning plate coins.

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    Spanish Trail in AG3-VF30 with look and wear of my avatar; prob never happen in lifetime
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    1921 assay commission medal in gold, assuming it still exists.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

Well I'm a cheap date....I have had and sold some decent........not rare by any means.........coins over the years but to me this 1909 Lincoln (NGC MS66BN) is it for me....

Yes I see coins all the time that I would love to have....but can't afford......this one I bought in a whitman album...to me it's the prettiest Lincoln I have ever seen that I can afford...image

imageimage
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Holy grail is a common date bent, graffitti'd twenty dollar gold coin.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

<< <i>My Holy grail is a common date bent, graffitti'd twenty dollar gold coin. >>

Cannot argue with that choice!
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1913 Liberty "V" Nickel
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of mine just popped up on eBay. To bad I can't come close to affording it. image

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    The best answer to the question for me would be the New England Shilling posted back around page 2 or 3. I've always loved its design as a kid--"NE" on the front and "XII" on the back. (It was starkly minimalistic, but I could draw it really easily in under a minute, whereas getting Lincoln's beard took a good hour.) Unless some phenomenal timing of windfall cash and even having one show up again at auction happens, I'll probably never own one.

There are coins that are more expensive, and if I had a cheat code to the Universe that would let me automatically have a coin, it would probably be the pattern $20 Saint Gaudens design listed as the #2 most valuable coin in the CoinFacts top ten. Yes, CoinFacts considers the very first pattern $20 even higher, but I like the design of the Saint better.

For that matter, when I was a kid, behind the NE XII, an uncirculated Saint Gaudens $20 with the Roman numerals was my second top favorite. Proof ultra-high relief coins are still way out, probably higher than the NE XII, but theoretically I may own some day a High Relief MCMVII Saint. Right now they run in lower grades about $20k to $25k, about the value of my entire collection. They're likely to climb in value over the coming years, but I may catch up to them in the next ten years or so. I hoped as a kid that I would be able just to own any Saint Gaudens $20, as a common uncirculated one was about $600, which sounded like a lot of money at the time. Twenty years later, I paid about two and a half times that much for one, and already it's worth even more. That coin is kind of the sentinel benchmark of my current way of collecting.

A tough benchmark that I achieved about two weeks ago is a 1911-D quarter eagle, AU55. It's currently my most valuable coin, and it's a testament to where my future collecting can go with enough time, patience, and work hours. My next step up would be an AU-graded or better draped bust liberty half eagle, from 1807 (facing right) or earlier. They start around $9000 but I can expect to pay between that and $12,000--or more, since they're busy accumulating value even as I work to get to the point of being able to get one. At the present rate, I went from Saint Gaudens $20 to 1911-D quarter eagle in three years. I suspect it'll be some time in 2014 when I'm ready to make the upgrade. But, I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to own one, so it's not a "holy grail" so much as a present day answer to the Lego Galaxy Explorer set I wanted as a kid or a Magic: the Gathering Black Lotus card I wanted while in college.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One of mine just popped up on eBay. To bad I can't come close to affording it. image

Sean Reynolds >>

Wow, you know you want it. Hefty price, but can you find one any cheaper is the BIG question image

I still waiting a a good price on a 2000 mule like that will ever happen.
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    A genuine 1964-D Peace dollar. Don't really need to own it -- just holding it would be good enough.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine would be an 1874-CC dime in PCGS58!
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    mine is an 1889 cc morgan dollar in ms 65...i suppose in a GSA box would be pushin itimage
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Among U.S. coins, a nice $50 Pan-Pac (either type).
    Where is the drool icon? image
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file