Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1964 SMS Roosevelt PCGS MS-67

DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
Folks,
I will be making way for a new purchase and most likely parting with my 1964 SMS Roosevelt PCGS MS67. (Im on the fence.) Reasonable offers will be accepted before this coin moves to eBay. A very rare and mysterious coin. For those of you who are registry conscious, the deadline for upgrades in June 30. Why not add the king? PCGS Guide listed at $4250
Edited to add photo in slab.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
"Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Comments

• Options
    QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    So what are the key markers that makes this an SMS? Just curious.
  • Options
    The SMS coins of 1964 are widely believed to be experimental pieces or prototypes for the release of the 1965-67 sms sets. They were all found, to my knowledge, in the estate of a former mint employee in the early nineties. They display super strong strikes, heavy die polishing lines (which I believe you can see in the scans, and the squared off borders typical in matte proofs. Quite breathtaking and very rare. PCGS has graded 22 total. And how many of this are resubmittals?
    Thanks for the interest. Coin will move to eBay sometime this week. Again, if anyone is interested in making an offer before that, shoot me an email at dcarverwells@yahoo.com.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>The SMS coins of 1964 are widely believed to be experimental pieces or prototypes for the release of the 1965-67 sms sets. They were all found, to my knowledge, in the estate of a former mint employee in the early nineties. They display super strong strikes, heavy die polishing lines (which I believe you can see in the scans, and the squared off borders typical in matte proofs. Quite breathtaking and very rare. PCGS has graded 22 total. And how many of this are resubmittals?
    Thanks for the interest. Coin will move to eBay sometime this week. Again, if anyone is interested in making an offer before that, shoot me an email at dcarverwells@yahoo.com. >>

I believe that the 1964 SMS coins came out of the estate of an extraordinary dealer and gentleman, Lester Merkin, and that they were sold in more than one Stack's sale in the early 90's.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had the money.........I need that one for my Complete Roosie variety set.
  • Options
    "I believe that the 1964 SMS coins came out of the estate of an extraordinary dealer and gentleman, Lester Merkin, and that they were sold in more than one Stack's sale in the early 90's."

And did not Mr. Merkin acquire these pieces directly from the estate of a former Mint employee/ director??? I guess conjecture is all we have to go on.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>"I believe that the 1964 SMS coins came out of the estate of an extraordinary dealer and gentleman, Lester Merkin, and that they were sold in more than one Stack's sale in the early 90's."

And did not Mr. Merkin acquire these pieces directly from the estate of a former Mint employee/ director??? I guess conjecture is all we have to go on. >>

That's the part I wasn't sure of, so I omitted it. image
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have studied the 1964 SMS coins quite a bit since I acquired my 1964 Kennedy SMS MS67 PCGS a few months ago. Photos of that coin are on my website and the Complete Kennedy Half Dollars Set, Business Strikes and Proof PCGS Registry Set where I am #4 overall.

All of the conjecture--and that's all it is, unless someone steps up with facts or documentation--points to Eva Adams, or else another Mint employee, as the source for the 1964 SMS coins, which numbered 20 sets, not 50 as thought earlier. And the fellow who bought most of them says that not all of them contained real SMS Kennedy halves. Adams died in 1991. Lester Merkin bought them out of that/her estate, and then after he died, I believe in 1993, Stack's offered them in a series of sales beginning that same year. The first public clue to the existence of the 1964 SMS sets, as far as I can tell, came from a tiny, unassuming lot description in a Stack's catalog dating from December 1993 (lot 1299).

Here it is verbatim:
    "A SPECIAL SET. 1964'P' Cent through Half Dollar Mint Set. Choice Brilliant Uncirculated. Nearly all show evidence of die refinishing at the Mint. The strike on all the coins is far sharper than is seen even on the Special Mint Sets. We suspect that these were struck as an experiment to determine the sort of finish the Mint would use from 1965 to 1967. 5 pieces, 1 set."

I'm also trying to keep a Census of all 1964 SMS coins for research purposes. (If anyone has any 1964 SMS coins I would appreciate their info. Please PM me.)

I have seen several of the Kennedy SMS coins (not all of the complete sets contained SMS Kennedys, which is apparently the rarest denomination) and at least one each of the other denominations. This dime sure looks like the real deal to me, and it has traded hands at least three times before that I know of as an SMS in this same holder. Nice coin, BTW! Good luck.
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    Offers before the bay???

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    Coin is now listed on ebay as well as the bst. Thanks for all the interest and PM me if you have any questions. Good luck to those bidding!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia