Home Precious Metals

APMEX has the 5 oz hockey pucks listed on their site

OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
but not available for sale yet.

APMEX
"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Comments

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D'oh, I made a post yesterday in the coin forum thread on these, forgot over here. Sorry folks.

Signed up for the alerts to see when they're up and what price...
  • I wonder what the diameter of those will be? I wouldn't mind owning a few if they aren't too big.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>D'oh, I made a post yesterday in the coin forum thread on these, forgot over here. Sorry folks.

Signed up for the alerts to see when they're up and what price... >>

10 lashes with a wet noodle for ya....those old fussy duddies aren't interested in bullion.image
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder what the diameter of those will be? I wouldn't mind owning a few if they aren't too big. >>

Apmex sez 40.6 mm diameter.

But I did not know this: $1 denomination
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405

<< <i>

<< <i>I wonder what the diameter of those will be? I wouldn't mind owning a few if they aren't too big. >>

But I did not know this: $1 denomination >>

Neither did I. But if they are 40.6mm, they should be 5 times thicker than an ASE! Am I wrong?

<< <i>

I believe the $1 den. may be a mistake we shall see, but these suckers got to be thick, since they are only 2/3 the size of these 5 oz rounds & I've got a boat load of them.

Reg size 5 oz rounds

<< <i>

But if they are 40.6mm, they should be 5 times thicker than an ASE! Am I wrong? >>

Sounds about right.
    I want 1/ea if the premiums are $10~/per initially. More than that and it might be tuff to justify at Aussie pricing.

I'm staring at a 10, 6, 5, 1oz stack of rounds right now. If these are a stocky/husky 5oz that would be cool.
    Apmex is wrong. It will be 3 inches in diameter and the denomination will be "quarter dollar".

‘‘(1) IN GENERAL.—The Secretary shall strike and make available for sale such number of bullion coins as the Secretary determines to be appropriate that are exact duplicates of the quarter dollars issued under subsection (t), each of which shall—
    ‘‘(A) have a diameter of 3.0 inches and weigh 5.0 ounces;
    ‘‘(B) contain .999 fine silver;
    ‘‘(C) have incused into the edge the fineness and weight of the bullion coin;
    ‘‘(D) bear an inscription of the denomination of such coin, which shall be ‘quarter dollar’; and
    ‘‘(E) not be minted or issued by the United States Mint as so-called ‘fractional’ bullion coins or in any size other than the size described in paragraph (A).

Link

edited to add: I recall Mr.Moy was saying they were having troubles because of the lettering on the edge, because 5 oz with 3 inches in diameter will be thin like paper. No idea how they fixed this issue though.

<< <i>Apmex is wrong. It will be 3 inches in diameter and the denomination will be "quarter dollar".

‘‘(1) IN GENERAL.—The Secretary shall strike and make available for sale such number of bullion coins as the Secretary determines to be appropriate that are exact duplicates of the quarter dollars issued under subsection (t), each of which shall—
    ‘‘(A) have a diameter of 3.0 inches and weigh 5.0 ounces;
    ‘‘(B) contain .999 fine silver;
    ‘‘(C) have incused into the edge the fineness and weight of the bullion coin;
    ‘‘(D) bear an inscription of the denomination of such coin, which shall be ‘quarter dollar’; and
    ‘‘(E) not be minted or issued by the United States Mint as so-called ‘fractional’ bullion coins or in any size other than the size described in paragraph (A).

Link

edited to add: I recall Mr.Moy was saying they were having troubles because of the lettering on the edge, because 5 oz with 3 inches in diameter will be thin like paper. No idea how they fixed this issue though. >>

Interesting...btw 3" 5oz is not paper thin...about 1/4" thick....
    How can APMEX be so wrong? They are a US Mint Silver wholesalers

<< <i>Interesting...btw 3" 5oz is not paper thin...about 1/4" thick.... >>

That's what he said, but we know he is not that good at what he does... image

"Then, because it was 3 inches in diameter, well we’ve got a 5 ounce piece of silver and we stretch it out to a 3 inch diameter, it’s paper thin. And then congress mandated that we had to edge letter it. So when you edge letter a paper thin coin, you get crumples. We went back to congress and said technically it isn’t possible, and they said we’ve got too many other things going on, you guys figure out how to do it. We’ve been technologically struggling to make this coin happen. "
    B.S. 3" from the government - who's got the fresh jokes????

I put false data in holding environments all the time. Apmex might be right, might not, it's not official so who knows. Fuddy duddy dB to get the alert figures up for their initial order and premiums, wouldn't count it as official at all.

But 25oz year as a collector commitment for 10 yrs.....makes the ASE proof collectors sane...

• << <i>

<< <i>

Neither did I. But if they are 40.6mm, they should be 5 times thicker than an ASE! Am I wrong? >>

I would love to see a round at that thickness. (crossing fingers) image
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too big for "slabs." Maybe PCGS will come up with a "coffin."

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• RedHerringRedHerring Posts: 2,077

<< <i>Neither did I. But if they are 40.6mm, they should be 5 times thicker than an ASE! Am I wrong? >>

<< <i>I would love to see a round at that thickness. (crossing fingers) >>

Edge lettering should not be a problem at that thickness. image
  • JimDepotJimDepot Posts: 957 ✭✭
    "This is one of the most talked about United States Mint Bullion products ever released, they will have maximum declared mintages and are expected to sell out quickly."

Maximum declared mintages, is that new for the pucks?

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"This is one of the most talked about United States Mint Bullion products ever released, they will have maximum declared mintages and are expected to sell out quickly."

Maximum declared mintages, is that new for the pucks? >>

I had not heard that.

APMEX goofed and picked up its size and denomination information from the one ounce silver eagles. Beyond that they are wild guessing. We spoke with one of the largest American Eagle distributors Friday, and they have still not received any information on the HP's (Hockey Pucks).

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>

<< <i>"This is one of the most talked about United States Mint Bullion products ever released, they will have maximum declared mintages and are expected to sell out quickly."

Maximum declared mintages, is that new for the pucks? >>

I had not heard that.

APMEX goofed and picked up its size and denomination information from the one ounce silver eagles. Beyond that they are wild guessing. We spoke with one of the largest American Eagle distributors Friday, and they have still not received any information on the HP's (Hockey Pucks).

TD >>

Interesting ... I suspect you are correct ... but what bothers me is since APMEX is now a: United States Mint Authorized Purchaser for their Silver bullion... how could they have gotten this so wrong?
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably just rushing to get something up on their site. We'll see if they edit it over time.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    I hope they offer PCGS First Strike 70s. I don't think I want to buy these raw.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope they offer PCGS First Strike 70s. I don't think I want to buy these raw. >>

I get the feeling that 70's will be rare due to the large size of this coin. Are you willing to pay multiples of their melt value to get one?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• << <i>

<< <i>I hope they offer PCGS First Strike 70s. I don't think I want to buy these raw. >>

I get the feeling that 70's will be rare due to the large size of this coin. Are you willing to pay multiples of their melt value to get one? >>

• I'm wondering if one design or another will be a runaway. I kind of feel like Yellowstone will be the ebay winner once these drop.
    "YOU SUCK!" Awarded by nankraut/renomedphys 6/13/13 - MadMarty dissents

<< <i>I'm wondering if one design or another will be a runaway. I kind of feel like Yellowstone will be the ebay winner once these drop. >>

You don't want the five ounce Arkansas Bidet???

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm wondering if one design or another will be a runaway. I kind of feel like Yellowstone will be the ebay winner once these drop. >>

You don't want the five ounce Arkansas Bidet???

image >>

imageimageimage

Now that you mention it I can scratch that design off my want list.

<< <i>

APMEX removed the size and denomination reference. For once, the US Mints specs may be correct.
    Now they have no specs up.
  • RedHerringRedHerring Posts: 2,077

<< <i>Now they have no specs up. >>

3" diameter, .999 fine silver are a given.

I see a colorized version of this piece on the horizon..............

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

APMEX removed the size and denomination reference. For once, the US Mints specs may be correct. >>

those are not US Mint specs.

that is the actual law that created these.

They will absolutely be 3 inches in diameter and bear a value of ... ahem... quarter dollar. image

here is Cornell's web site with the coinage law.
    just search the page for this — (u) Silver Bullion Investment Product.— and start reading,

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may collect the colorized versions for fun....not.

<< <i>

<< <i>Now they have no specs up. >>

3" diameter, .999 fine silver are a given.

I see a colorized version of this piece on the horizon..............

image >>

I hear that the U.S. Mint is going to sue Kitco for lifting this cliff face to depict today's gold market......