Home Metal Detecting
Options

So. Have any of you MD guys and gals ever found any gold coins during your hunts?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
If so, details and pics please.

Comments

• Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    Nope, not a 1.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nope none at all
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    None here either, no silver dollars or silver half dollars either!
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None yet also.
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no silver dollars but theres enough silver halves. all common but just the same image
  • Options
  • Options
    Gee, you look like a Denver Bronco fan. Don't know if I should answer your question about finding gold or not. Several years ago I posted several pictures here of a $5.00 gold coin I found. It is a $5.00 U. S.1887/s liberty gold coin. It is in VF condition. I'll tell you, I found it in Colorado. Early one morning I was at a park and I got the pull tab sound from my machine. Only this time, the sound was much louder than the typical pull tab. My machine emits the same sound when it locates a nickel too. It was in a grassy area and I decided to just take my hand and see what all the commotion was about. Much to my surprise, when I spread a few blades of grass apart there before my eyes was the gold coin I had always hoped for. It was just laying on the top of the ground with the grass covering it. I will see if I can find the pictures and post them later. I have also found six gold rings, and one 14-K Russian Orthodox cross. One ring had a diamond in it apprased at $1,000.00 back in 1998. Make it seven gold rings if you want to count a 14K white gold ring with a genuine Lindsey star sapphire stone with a small diamond on each side of the sapphire.

Why did you want pictures and details?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cache hunters do not reveal their finds - to many litigious individuals out there - as I am sure you realize since you are an attorney. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Metaldetectinghound - Great story, congrats on finding a gold coin (and the other gold items). Did you find the coin in a large city (i.e. Denver, Colorado Springs, etc.) or in a small town or the open country? If I was lucky enough to find a gold coin, I would keep it and never sell it (let my heirs have it).

Rico - point taken, but I assume even the most secretive hunters would not be able to resist disclosing that they had found some gold coins [leaving out or putting in as much detail as their good judgment allows them to]. I mean what is the fun of finding and not telling anyone of your good fortune?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check your PM... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never a gold coin, but have found 2 gold rings and a necklace. Nearly enough to pay for my machine. Always hoping for that gold coin though.
  • Options
    i have dug one mexican gold coin and a few morgan dollars.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be carefull! You never know who and why someone is asking.
  • Options
    My friend found 5- Gold coins. 3- 2half dollars and 2- 5 dollars. He detector since 1962.
  • Options
    HiBuckyHiBucky Posts: 582 ✭✭✭
    I finely dug my first Gold Coin. Found on 3-28-09. It is a 1878 US Five Dollar Gold coin found with my new E-Trac detector. It was like all other signals when digging old foundations, you get a good signal you dig it... But this one was different, NO junk, No shell casing, No Copper, No Lead but a wedge of soil with this gold edge sticking out the side. I could see the gold but in the past I have been fooled by heavy Gilt golden Buttons. I could see the reeding on the edge of the item. I knew now it was a gold coin. As I removed the dirt I was hoping it was a $10.00 gold coin, then I was hoping it was a 1700 gold coin, I then so carefully removed the dirt but I did not scrap the dirt off I picked it off not wanting to cause damage to the surface. I did manage to hit it slightly on the edge with a shovel but you can only tell when holding the coin in the light you can see the new scrapes. Wow 31 years , thousands of holes and when you least expect it .. A Gold 1878 $5.00 coin appears in a hole that should have been just another target ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, You never know... !!! Bucky

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hahahahahahaha. I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself. I wish I would find one silver coin.image
  • Options
    This turned out to be counterfeit it did NOT weigh 1 ounce :-( I think it was .67 of a troy ounce (31.1 g)
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage