Home Precious Metals
Options

Johnson Matthey 2.5 Gram Gold Bar

just won this bar on ebay last night....think i did pretty well on it ($48 a gram). I was wondering are these kinda rare? I have looked on the internet and watched ebay for the last year, and don't recall seeing the 2.5 gram JM bar......any thoughts?
Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/JOHNSON-MATTHEY-2-5-GRAM-999-GOLD-BAR-/290447164089?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a00002b9
"When someone tells you nothing is impossible, ask them to dribble a football"

MANY positive BST Transactions

Comments

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I have a 5 gram bar. Mine is loose too. Have not seen any for sale in original packaging.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    RedHerringRedHerring Posts: 2,077
    Not rare but very nice. That is a good price. Congrats.
  • Options
    I have a 5 gram JM in the original package, but like i said (loose or not) i haven't seen many 2.5 gram JM bars, so I figured I would snatch it up.
    Thanks!

• Options
    sebrownsebrown Posts: 424
    I picked up this 2.5 gram on eBay some months ago and I hadn't seen too many before that, especially in sealed assay card. You acquired your bar for about $15 cheaper than I obtained mine.

imageimage

"In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation [...] Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights." - Alan Greenspan
  • Options
    sebrownsebrown Posts: 424
    After looking at the JM bar you won and my bar pictured above, the two bars appear to be different in height/width ratios. Your bar appears shorter/wider as opposed to mine.

"In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation [...] Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights." - Alan Greenspan
  • Options
    yeah i noticed that on some of my Credit Suisse 2.5 gram bars....I have 3 total and 2 of them are smaller/thicker, and 1 is thin and bigger.......not sure, but i think some of these companies started making them one way and switched to a different style at some point.....who knows! image

• Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Although not "rare" the 2.5g is much more scarce than either the 1g or the 5g. But the real JM fractional gold "prize" is the 1/10th ounce. I have seen that bar on fewer occassions than I have fingers on one hand.
  • Options
    (2) of the 1/10th oz JM bars just sold on ebay the last couple weeks.....1 went for $177 and 1 went for $167.

• Options
    3 of these 2.5g JM Bars are now listed on ebay......... just an FYI

• Options
    Nice looking bar.
    Currently Working on:
    U.S. Type Set
    Classic Silver Commemoratives
    Modern Commemorative 50c, $1 sivler
    Modern Gold Commemoratives
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice bar. congrats image
  • Options
    3 of these 2.5g JM Bars are now listed on ebay

I see 2 in frames ....... the 3rd?

Keep on Stack'n.

S.B.
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options