Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1910/2010 Lincoln Cent Images Side By Side! Reverses added!

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
imageimage

and if this works, a GIF

hard on the eyes...

[URL=http://www.makeagif.com/W08j9F]image[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The VDB on that 2010 looks way too prominent. It should be removed. image
    Lance.
  • Options
    I am actually very impressed with the return to a version more like the original portrait. Looks quite good - especially if you put it side by side with a 2009.

Thanks for showing this.
    "spot on my UHR, nevermind, I wiped it off"
  • Options
    Id say they got the obverse pretty "right". Damn why didnt they do that last year? and add the S...and add the wheat back...oh sigh..............................
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    modeled upon the 1909.....

I have to say, seeing both side by side, I'm still liking the 1910 better.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2010 has lost the detail. No eye lid, poorly formed concha (ear) and bow tie.
    Better but not the pizazz of the original. But, after all it's just a copy, right?

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lost some detail around the cheekbone and mouth, and lost some mouth detail too. Check out who needs a collagen injection!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    I think these new 2010's will look good when they go brown. remember too Im showing a matte proof there so the BS coin of the era would have less detail also, and compare better with the 2010.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder why they did not go back to the original date position?
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2010 date is more even. I've always thought the 1910 date was ugly - the zero is way too big, and round instead of oval. It doesn't match the other digits at all.

<< I think these new 2010's will look good when they go brown. remember too Im showing a matte proof there so the BS coin of the era would have less detail also, and compare better with the 2010. >>

It might be interesting to compare it with a Satin Finish 2010 when they become available.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>The 2010 date is more even. I've always thought the 1910 date was ugly - the zero is way too big, and round instead of oval. It doesn't match the other digits at all. >>

The early numerals, which varied in size, shape and style from year to year, are much more artistic and attractive than the boring uniform ones in modern coins...IMO, anyway. I love the tails on 3's, 5's, and 9's. I like the different placement, the shapes of 0's, and stubby numbers, like the 1 and 5 in 1915. To each his own, I guess.
    Lance.
  • Options
    TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Different shaped forehead. Different lips. Different beard. Different profile on the 2010 all together! Why?
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1910 is much more attractive. The 2010 adds 'weight' and somberness. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    2010 cents are much thinner than 1910, so there's less metal to work with. Also, the shield reverse bleeds metal from the obverse relief, which Brenner's wheat ears did not.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for thr thread, Ambro. Even though the spaghetti beard is gone, this is still a good example of "they dont make 'em like they used to."

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>2010 cents are much thinner than 1910, so there's less metal to work with. Also, the shield reverse bleeds metal from the obverse relief, which Brenner's wheat ears did not. >>

Huh?

If this were so, wouldn't the rolls be a lot shorter????

I have not noticed any difference.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    The 1910 is FAR superior.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    Here are the Reverses. I hate to say it...but it is possible to imagine Brenner himself coming up with the shield initially in 1909....he liked ribbons, the design is somewhat French, the one cent is in similar style lettering....who knows...anyway, these shields will look good BN also> I want one in a nice chocolate brown VF!
    Ive decided I LIKE the reverse. And I like it because there isnt one iota of political correctness in it. It IS what it IS. Certainly beats any of the 4 "photomural" reverses in 2009!
    I like all the die finish lines on the reverse. they must have turned the pressure UP on these coins, in order to fully strike the relief required. Id be on the lookout for die cracks that could be the result of this....just speculation .

imageimage
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...i'm still looking for the 2012 coin. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    Give it a year or two.
    Lance.
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should have used the same font for "one cent" on the shield cent as they did on the wheat back cent...

There is something to be said about the simple beauty of the wheat cent... so many minted yet still classy to this day.

The only recent "circulating" design we may look back on 50 years hence in the same way would possibly be the Sacajawea dollar from 2000-2008, especially the reverse.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    Its ironic also, the furor over V.D.B. initials on the coin...and here we have LB JFM...........!
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think these new 2010's will look good when they go brown. >>

image I've been carrying a brand new, shiny one around in my pocket for a couple of weeks now. Doesn't appear it's going to take too long. image
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << 1910/2012 Lincoln Cent Images Side By Side! Reverses added! >>

2012?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think these new 2010's will look good when they go brown. >>

image I've been carrying a brand new, shiny one around in my pocket for a couple of weeks now. Doesn't appear it's going to take too long. image
    image >>

Looks like the idea for the new Lincoln Cent reverse came from a pattern cent coin minted 114 years ago?
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just love the union shield on U.S. coinage.

Great post Brian!
  • Options
    HeY Id submit that 2010-D Youd probably have the only AU58 certified example! A Pop 1 (wow think of THAT!)
  • Options
    << 2010 cents are much thinner than 1910, so there's less metal to work with. Also, the shield reverse bleeds metal from the obverse relief, <<which Brenner's wheat ears did not. >>

Huh?

If this were so, wouldn't the rolls be a lot shorter????

I have not noticed any difference.

TD >>

If you want to see a shorter roll of cents, compare a roll of pre 1993 cents with a roll of 1993 or later cents. And the cents weigh the same! It is the lower relief reverse making the difference. And after 1993 they went to the old reverse to strike proofs.
  • Options
    I would agree when I first saw the shield it felt like it was older then 2010.
    I don't know much though. I have only been collecting cent (from circulation and the bank.)

I have come across quite a few rolls of these from a local department store that seems to have them all the time.
    Are these rolls worth holding on to?

You have to see me at the tolls circulating all the "junk" pennies. The looks I get from the toll workers. It really is priceless.

That 1910 sure is pretty
  • Options
    Ambro51... - I like the new cent alot considering the time of it's creation - and I like your comparison.

<< <i>HeY Id submit that 2010-D Youd probably have the only AU58 certified example! A Pop 1 (wow think of THAT!) >>

and ...AU58 is easy......give me a F12 - now this one would keep your Pop 1 for some time image

Rok
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like the 1910 lots better image jmho

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file