Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Smithsonian American History Museum - a Numismatic Disappointment

I was in D.C. for a meeting last Thursday. The meeting ended about 2:30PM and was in a building just off the Mall. Since my plane didn't leave Reagan National until 9:30PM, I decided now was my chance to finally see the Numismatic Collection in the "newly renovated" American History Museum.

I'm hoping I missed the exhibit and one of my fine forum friends will explain to me that if I just looked "here" I'd see the real deal. What I saw was a room small enough to be a bedroom with a few display cases. There were plenty of rarities NAILED to the display boards but overall, the "history of money" exhibit was worse than not having an exhibit at all. I watched the people filing through. None of them showed any excitement about the exhibit. I doubt any of them actually learned anything. I'm certain this exhibit, in our great country's national museum did less than zero to inspire interest, awe or respect for numismatics. I say "less than zero" because, in my case, it has actually served to de-motivate me as a collector (I'm recovering my passion as I write).

As a collector, I found the exhibit uninspired. In fact, when the American History Museum was closed (maybe 2005 or 2006) I was in D.C. and was able to view either this same display or a slightly larger one in the Castle. And while it was a nice setting in the middle of the Castle, during my visit two days ago the exhibit was pushed off to the side in the American History Museum in a little dimly lit alcove that in another time could have housed an exhibit on the Evolution of American Janatorial Storage.

Yes, I will admit, at least the first time (in the Castle) when I saw some of the highly touted rarities (like the 1933 $20, and the 1913 5C Liberty), I was excited. But in this uninspired setting, these coins could have been just any nickle or double eagle. In fact, the double eagle looked so plain and ordinary (still a nice example of the type), I actually rolled my eyes about the current Government litigation over the Langbord suite. It all seems much ado over a few ounces of gold. sigh... Being a little better numismatically informed than many of the folks making their way through the exhibit (a rather grand word for what is actually there), I can work up some left-brained enthusiasm over the suite and the history of the coin.

I've seen much more interesting exhibits at coin shows than the Smithsonian was able to muster. It was sad. I was sad at how uninspired the presentation was.

Now with all that numismaticly related stuff said... The rest of the American History Museum was fabulous! The inventors hall, Julia's kitchen, the history of lasers display, the flag, the civil rights rights exhibits - just fantastic! The Air and Space museum was also in the usual outstanding form. I will be back in D.C. the last three working days of June and hope to have three hours a day to spend in the museums. I'm open to any suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    It sounds like the exhibit was designed and put together by a non-collector. And most visitors in the general public wouldn't know any better either.

Send them an email describing your disappointing visit from the viewpoint of a collector. Or just send them your post.

A museum just might take into consider feedback from their visitors. Especially from one with experience and passion on the subject. Unlike the exhibit designer.

Or not.
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was there in May, and did not share your lack of enthusiasm. I was drooling on the cases, in fact. Did they change the exhibit since then? There were three 1804 dollars side by side in one case.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Are the renovations finished yet? That may be why.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    The size of exhibits at the Smithsonian and in particular at the NMAH are generally proportional to the amount of general public interest there is regarding the exhibit theme. Though coins are interesting to coin collectors and money buffs, an 1804 silver dollar or a 1913 nickel just doesn't carry as much mainstream interest as the star-spangled banner or the first ladies' dresses. Consequently you can't expect the money exhibit to be equal in size or prestige as "The American Presidency: A Glorious Burden" or "The Price of Freedom" exhibits.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly most of us will never get to see very many of the items that make up the Smithsonian collection, which is perhaps the greatest in the world. Reflecting the attitudes of some dealers and collectors the display includes only "key dates." Here's a photo I took there of the 1907 small Ultra High Relief $20 gold. It gave me a chance to compare it with my 1909 Ultra High relief coin.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    I saw this exhibit this past Thursday and the coins absolutely knocked my socks off!! THREE 1804 Dollars, a 1913 Liberty Nickel, an 1822 Half Eagle, and a $100,000 bill among other INSANE rarities. (Unfortunately, the 1849 and 1933 Double eagles were not on display). True, the exhibit room is very small and the presentation isn't really anything special, but who cares?? The coins are American treasures that I got to see with my own eyes! I will never forget my visit. image
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1849 $20 and the 1933 $20 were in Boston.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file