Home Sports Talk
Options

What are you doing to enhance youth sports in your town ?

Are you coaching, umpiring, taking kids to practice, sitting on committees ?
Hockey, baseball, soccer, football, tennis, swimming ? Or does work keep you too busy to get involved ?

Comments

• Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    I'm still pretty fresh out of the local youth sports scene but I'm still involved. I have umpired little league baseball in the past, but am no longer doing that. This summer I am working at a day camp put on by the county parks & rec department. I'm pretty much the average camp counselor, but more specifically as a counselor whose focus is on sports. We'll be trying to expose them to as much as possible (given certain budget, skill, equipment constraints), including sports like flag football, soccer, basketball, kickball, swimming, etc. Those are the only ones I know so far... It hasn't started quite yet, but the fun gets under way next week.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I coach my kids teams in baseball, basketball and soccer. I alternate which kid I am coaching each season. I also go to all my kids swim meets and many practices. I am too busy at work but I still do all the coaching and other stuff!
  • Options
    I guess I could date a couple of cheerleaders and help keep their spirits high.image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    You first Fitzgerald, what are YOU doing?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I used to go to baseball games pretty regularly until I was banned.

It might have had something to do with the fact that I enjoyed wearing a long trenchcoat and hat pulled down low, and sitting alone in the bleachers with a really shady look on my face.

Oh, I almost forgot that I wore dark sunglasses and had a beard at the time.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You first Fitzgerald, what are YOU doing?

Steve >>

Oh snap.

I raise/donate money through group rides. A majority of them support youth athletics; either for the financially disadvantaged or physically handicapped.

Work keeps me busy but I still find time to help others.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    I am supporting adult and post-collegiate opportunities, thus ensuring all the hours the youths spend on sports will not be wasted once they've grown up
    Tom
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    My son just turned 5 a few weeks ago and my girl isn't quite 2 yet which means I haven't been involved in youth sports yet. My job has crazy hours and no set schedule, I know I won't be able to commit to being a manager or a coach...that bums me out a little. I'm sure I'll be able to help out when I'm off a project or be a team father and help during the weekends. As far as my wife, I totally picture her being a team mother one day.

I'm also hoping to be involved in various fund raisers for charity as my kids get older.

• Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    I helped out with my 7 year old daughter's softball team this year and plan on doing so next year too. Myy 18 month old has yet to begin her reign as the most dominate player of her age, looking foward to that too!
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I help a little with Bee Ball, Baseball for blind people. It is kinda cool, trying to hit the ball to all the players and spread it around. You go "Ready' "Setty" throw the ball in the air and then say "Ball" when you hit it. Then another person will usually help with where the ball is going and calling that section out. So then the sight impaired (most are not 100% blind) person in the area called listens for the beeping ball. The guy that calls out the area..or someone else...gets to play with the stop watch and the fielder has to shut off the beep within 8 seconds of play. I want to play blindfolded but they don't seem to want me to so I help out in the other parts.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Very interesting what everyone does. I coach youth baseball in my town, along with youth basketball in the winter. I spend my Saturday and Sunday's in the winter at the ice rink, and spend my summers doing baseball and ice hockey as well. Winter is my busiest month because I spend two nights a week coaching basketball, and then many hours at the rinks on Saturdays and Sunday. Thanks goodness there isn't any grass to cut in the winter time. Little league baseball just ended, but I volunteer to hold pick up games with the kids in
    our town during the evenings in the summer. Summer ice hockey is a great way to beat the heat and humidity too.