MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    THANK YOU !!!!!

I wish I had those images when I was a teenager going thru rolls
    of silver quarters. I came upon so many dateless Type One's -
    and I couldn't tell a 16 from a 17 without an actual dated example
    in front of me.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Great work! Now we just need to create one that gradually "morphs" from the 1916 to 1917. ;-)
    All coins kept in safety deposit box.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the actual diagnostics, other than the inner shield, the head into the border, and the flatness of the garment over her right biceps. That's all I know and would appreciate any additional diagnostics.
    Thanks
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great work! Now we just need to create one that gradually "morphs" from the 1916 to 1917. ;-) >>

How is this?

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    The laurel that Miss Liberty is holding changes.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What are the actual diagnostics, other than the inner shield, the head into the border, and the flatness of the garment over her right biceps. That's all I know and would appreciate any additional diagnostics.
    Thanks
    Jim >>

Check the oval fold just above the 19. It appears more closed and flat on the 1916.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great visuals. Thanks for the effort behind it. image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually this is a really great way to note the subtle differences in the diework between the 1916 and 1917 Type 1 coins. Thanks for showing us this!
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    I worked a long time on that, I hope someone saves it and puts it on a website somewhere.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alltheabove76 imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent work here! Very informative, thanks for posting it!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920

<< <i>I worked a long time on that, I hope someone saves it and puts it on a website somewhere. >>

Or, maybe on a poster to hang in the grading room. image
  • Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What are the actual diagnostics, other than the inner shield, the head into the border, and the flatness of the garment over her right biceps. That's all I know and would appreciate any additional diagnostics.
    Thanks
    Jim >>

I am not an expert on these, but I think the 6 and 7 are the easiest diagnostics to identify.image
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice morphing job...

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>

Thanks
    Jim >>

I am not an expert on these, but I think the 6 and 7 are the easiest diagnostics to identify.image >>

Not when the coins are so worn that the date doesn't show. And at that point, there are still other diagnostics that do show.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thanks
    Jim >>

I am not an expert on these, but I think the 6 and 7 are the easiest diagnostics to identify.image >>

Not when the coins are so worn that the date doesn't show. And at that point, there are still other diagnostics that do show. >>

Not to mention being able to tell altered dates by looking at the other diagnostics.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    thanks for all the effort

it would be nice in a FR-02 or a P-01 where most people are scratching their heads
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice post. As others have mentioned, it would be very informative to see dateless ones morph. And maybe a set of VFs, VGs, and AGs to watch them wear. Endless possibilities for your talent. Thanks.
  • Options
    very cool. great work
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks
    Jim >>

The diagnostic I find most useful (especially for very worn or dateless coins) is the shape of the curve of the bottom of the gown outside liberty's right foot. I keep hoping to spot a dateless, slabbable 1916.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool pictures, and great looking SLQs too.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    Wow, thanks!

Coinsaboutforum.com Join today!
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    VERY sweet ! i have pics of both but the dfifferences are SO much easier to spot with your morph job. im off to find a dateless 1916
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to the OP

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

NICE.

you did that before i even joined the forum. :+1:

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@pakasmom said:
    << I worked a long time on that, I hope someone saves it and puts it on a website somewhere. >>

Or, maybe on a poster to hang in the grading room.

I was able to save it-just because I think it's cool. Great job!

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

It's tricking my brain into hearing it switch, but only when it switches to the 1916

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's pretty neat. Nice work

• Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

can you repost your overlay or PM me a link for it.......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file