Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS AG-3 1916 SLQ on Heritage. Very Questionable.

Something is VERY wrong here! I see the lower loop of the"6" but none of the diagnostics look right. Altered date misattributed? This is the second one from PCGS I've seen that I have seriously questioned.... Can we alert Heritage if there is a problem?

PCGS AG-3 on Heritage
All coins kept in safety deposit box.

Comments

• Options
    Cert verification checks out. Here are the pictures, and I rotated the obverse around for easier viewing. There are still 4 days left until the end of the auction.

• Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭
    I don't collect SLQ's, but I think that last digit looks wrong-ish.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a 1916 to me just based on the head and the lower gown details.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    According to this ANACS article, the inner bead on either side above Liberty's head should be weak. I agree, not a 1916.

-Paul
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like a 1916 to me just based on the head and the lower gown details >>

Really? There is nothing about that coin that matches the diagnostics imo.
    -The head does not break into the top beads(should be cut in half).
    -The shield rivets and stars are way too bold
    - The robe crease beneath her right arm does not extend past the bulkhead.
    -The fold at the bottom of the robe is of the 1917 type.

I am quite confident that this is not a 1916.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    The rivets on the shield are too strong. Unless there is a different die than what I have seen in diagnostics before.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Nope your right I was looking at the large blow up on Heritage upside down.

Looking at your turned images it is a 1917.

Here's a 16 in G-6.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice catch Johnny! image
  • Options
    Nice 1916 slq Broadstruck! I recently pulled a FR02 from an ebay lot and it just got back from ANACS. :-) see thread:
    http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=768314

Anyways, what should we do from here? I'm not too familiar with Heritage, except I know that they are an extremely reputable auction house....so can we report it to them? It's already up to $1840 w/BP, so someone stands to lose a lot of money...:-(
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely '17 to my eye.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know the last digit that is barely showing looks like a 6, but everything else looks wrong. I agree with the OP- maybe an altered date that did time as a pocket piece to cover up the work...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

<< <i>Anyways, what should we do from here? I'm not too familiar with Heritage, except I know that they are an extremely reputable auction house....so can we report it to them? It's already up to $1840 w/BP, so someone stands to lose a lot of money...:-( >>

Not sure what they will do image

A few years ago I reported a ANACS Cleaned coin that had been enhanced by a Coin Doctor and was now in a PCGS Slab.

Off course I discovered the earlier coin in their archives right after I had placed a bid.

I sent Heritage a lengthy email and they retracted my bid, but let the coin run.
  • Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 1,240 ✭✭
    The coin in the OP appears to be a 1917 type 1 from the diagnostics.

TRUTH
  • Options

<< <i>Nice 1916 slq Broadstruck! I recently pulled a FR02 from an ebay lot and it just got back from ANACS. :-) see thread:
    http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=768314 >>

Your Thread Link

Nice catch johnny54321 image

That 16 belongs to a friend of mine.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    That coin is NOT a 1916 just look at the folds in the drapery in her hand and compare it to the AG coin. Not even close and it should be taken down and looked at by PCGS.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think everyone might have a point here....but to me...it looks like "MELT".
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The rivets on the shield are too strong. Unless there is a different die than what I have seen in diagnostics before. >>

Even upside down the rivets showed the coin is actually a 1917...
    the date's been altered at one time - because the curve of a 6 just
    doesn't match up with the other diagnostics.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>Even upside down the rivets showed the coin is actually a 1917 >>

Thanks for rubbing salt in the wound MFH... I just woke up from a nap when I replied! image

• Options
    pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    I THINK the holder looks okay. So even if Heritage doesn't want to hear it, - I bet our honorable hosts would...
  • Options
    Snowman24Snowman24 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    is the rotation wrong too ????
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    The coin in question is most definitely a 1917 T1.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Looks undergraded at AG03 too.
  • Options
    What really concerns me is that this is the second one that has come up. There is another (misattributed or counterfeit holdered) that I brought up in a different CCU thread as PCGS graded FR-2(see the Link).

Link
    Photos:

There is a lot of discussion here, and looking at the PCGS number, it seems like they were "slabbed" close to around the same era based on the serial numbers.

What I'm hearing is that the slabs themselves look authentic, and the owner of the FR2 example stated that a PCGS grader told him that the coin was a genuine 1916 and the slab was authentic! Does PCGS know something that we as the collector community don't know about the 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter? Maybe the newer die was used on some of the 1916 quarters....Or did they just goof on multiple occasions? I'd really like to hear what PCGS has to say, because I am concerned/confused here.
  • Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 1,240 ✭✭
    Lesson to be learned. If you know your coins, you will not get burned.

TRUTH
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    The coin in the image is absolutely a worn 1917. I would be much more concerned about the
    authenticity of the holder, after seeing a few fake PCGS holders that looked VERY GOOD at
    first glance.
  • Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    Would PCGS buy these back or would this count as "machine error"?
  • Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    Here is a real 1916 PCGS VG8 and the HA coin

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alltheabove76:

Thanks so much for the pictures. They really clarify the issues!
    Mark

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice side by side pictures. Thanks!

I would really like to hear what PCGS has to say about these.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭

<< <i>Here is a real 1916 PCGS VG8 and the HA coin

image >>

Thank for the side by side. A great learning tool.
  • Options
    It is a 1917, gown, beads and rivets all say 1917, so.............what now, heritage, bpcgs, who takes this off the market and makes it right?
  • Options
    Honestly it amazes me they can find the small alteration of a MM or something that most people spot, but these are obvious and there are som many diagnostics, you only need 1 not all to know that it is not a 16?? Blows me away.
  • Options
    HeritageGreg,

What say you? image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope they kill the auction. Wouldn't it be something if PCGS traced the provenance of the submission to a prominent defendant? The simple, low grade side-by-side shown here needs to be one of those things that's easily available to everyone looking at SLQs. Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    machoponchomachoponcho Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    Informative thread. Nice detective work! Everyone goofs up now and again. What is done when the one that goofed is informed that they goofed is likely what determines character.
    I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.
  • Options
    Well, hopefully PCGS can respond here. I am afraid that the auction will go on, the buyer will pay for the coin and then be oblivious to the fact that he was royally ripped off. The buyer of the FR-02 in the other thread I listed is convinced that the forum opinion of the coin was wrong and that his coin is a genuine 1916.

Truthsayer nailed it though. To play in this market, there is really know substitute for knowlege. TPGs help our chances of a successful purchase, but they aren't foolproof.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Well, hopefully PCGS can respond here. I am afraid that the auction will go on, the buyer will pay for the coin and then be oblivious to the fact that he was royally ripped off. The buyer of the FR-02 in the other thread I listed is convinced that the forum opinion of the coin was wrong and that his coin is a genuine 1916.

Truthsayer nailed it though. To play in this market, there is really know substitute for knowlege. TPGs help our chances of a successful purchase, but they aren't foolproof. >>

Those who are concerned should contact Heritageimage
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    go for a better grade if you can afford it. why play games
  • Options

<< <i>Those who are concerned should contact Heritage >>

I sent them a problem report in regards to this auction, and linked to this thread. I don't know how much good it will do coming from me, especially since I haven't purchased anything from them. Maybe if multiple folks report it they will take it more seriously.

thanks for all of your help.
    John
  • Options
    I sent them a message yesterday, as well.
  • Options
    Mr. Feld was a professional grader for many years and I've been wondering what his opinion was... I'm glad to see him post to this thread.
    Am I correct in assuming that you concur, sir? Do you believe this is misattributed? And if so, doesn't it seem like the company that should be alerted is PCGS?

• Options

<< <i>Mr. Feld was a professional grader for many years and I've been wondering what his opinion was... I'm glad to see him post to this thread.
    Am I correct in assuming that you concur, sir? Do you believe this is misattributed? And if so, doesn't it seem like the company that should be alerted is PCGS? >>

Based on a glance at the images and comments, I concur. But, either way, feel that Heritage should check it out.

I believe that Heritage should be notified first, since time is of the essence and they are the ones who can end the listing. But ultimately, PCGS should be made aware of it.
  • Options
    Thank you for clarifying your opinion. And while I can appreciate the logic behind the "time is of the essence" argument for contacting Heritage. I fear the only entity that Heritage would "hear" is PCGS.
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you for clarifying your opinion. And while I can appreciate the logic behind the "time is of the essence" argument for contacting Heritage. I fear the only entity that Heritage would "hear" is PCGS. >>

Well, due to your fear, I have sent an email to PCGS, as well. image There's nothing wrong with a two pronged assault.image
  • Options
  • Options
    swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    We will review the coin tomorrow. If we agree that it's misattributed, we will withdraw the coin and encourage the consignor to contact PCGS.

Thanks!
    Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options
    Thumbs up for Heritage! A careful review should be sufficient. Thanks for your help Mark!
  • Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭
    interesting thread
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    image Heritage.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file