Home Sports Talk
Options

I'm already sick of the World Cup being shoved down our throats...

frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
...and it's just the first day. I was sick of it weeks ago when the promos started hyping it up. Even though it's only every four years, I can't stand it. I really, really hate soccer.

Look, I understand that it takes tremendous stamina to play a soccer game and I am sure that there are great athletes involved. However, I really think soccer is a sport that parents push their kids into when the child cannot hit a ball, catch a ball, shoot a basketball, dribble a basketball, or catch or throw a football. I can see uncoordinated little Johnny and mom now, "Ok, Johnny, kick the ball to mommy". "I did it mommy, I kicked the ball." "Good, Johnny. Now kick the ball straight to mommy so that Mommy doesn't have to go get it." "Ok, Mommy. Whee, I kicked the ball!"

Shane

Comments

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Like soccer or not, it's the sport that everyone else in the world plays. The best soccer players in Europe and South America don't play soccer because they can't pitch, hit, tackle or shoot...they play because that's their sport

You've hit the nail on the head about why the US stinks at soccer (because OUR best athletes don't play it)

and why the rest of the world dominates at it (because in many cases - that's the ONLY sport they play).

Take solace in this...if you live to be 70, this one month will only be 1/840th of your life.

Calm down.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>However, I really think soccer is a sport that parents push their kids into when the child cannot hit a ball, catch a ball, shoot a basketball, dribble a basketball, or catch or throw a football. >>

You sound bitter. Did your mommy and daddy make you play soccer?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Frank image

Steve
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I'm not , just didn't watch any tv today. lol
  • Options
    soccer players do a lot of running around. yawn.
  • Options
    I really enjoy soccer, especially the world cup, but all the falling down and ankle grabbing really pisses me the f*#@ off. Yes, these
    guys are great athletes, but most of their wives probably have bigger balls than they do.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I really enjoy soccer, especially the world cup, but all the falling down and ankle grabbing really pisses me the f*#@ off. Yes, these
    guys are great athletes, but most of their wives probably have bigger balls than they do. >>

it's like watching 22 Manu Ginoblis out there, disgusting.
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

I'm not at all a soccer fan, but I always watch at least a few games during the World Cup.
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    I don't mind soccer but what I hate seeing is all the crying and moaning and diving, everytime a guy gets to close the other player flops to the ground holding
    his leg like it just got cut off, and then after the red card or green card, or whatever the heck they hand out, gets held up they jump up like Jesus just healed
    them. What a crock.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like soccer....moms!

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I really enjoy soccer, especially the world cup, but all the falling down and ankle grabbing really pisses me the f*#@ off. Yes, these
    guys are great athletes, but most of their wives probably have bigger balls than they do. >>

it's like watching 22 Manu Ginoblis out there, disgusting. >>

Or 22 Paul Pierces. I'm sure he can relate when the soccer medics bust out the stretcher for a guy who just tripped over his own shoelaces, given his Oscar-worthy performance in the '08 Finals.

I'm not sick of soccer, but I am sick of people complaining about soccer. And as a parent of a son who plays soccer I can tell the OP that one of the primary reasons why kids in the US get involved in soccer isn't because 'they can't do anything else'. It's because a) it doesn't require you to mortgage your house to buy the equipment, and b) it's about the only team sport kids can play until they're about seven or eight. Unless you count T-Ball, which I don't. Kids can't play basketball until they can dribble, pass and shoot, and they can't play baseball until they can accurately throw a baseball farther than 10 yards. Soccer is great exercise, kids enjoy it, and the rules are easy to understand.

• Options
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I understand you may not like the sport, but I completely disagree when you basically call soccer a sport for failures. BTW, I'm not a soccer fanatic but enjoy the game. I follow soccer and go to matches but am not extremely well versed in the strategy or history of it. It's nowhere near to my favorite sport but I have respect for the game and enjoy it a great deal. And I will be watching the match tomorrow in my USA jersey.

My girlfriend plays college soccer and she can probably throw a baseball farther than half the guys on this board. I have friends that played a "failure" sport like soccer throughout high school but are now in college on (American) Football scholarships. I have a friend who played goalkeeper in high school soccer and also led his high school basketball team in scoring and assists and entertained numerous D-1 offers before blowing his knee out. And do you honestly believe that somebody who is uncoordinated do this? LINK
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...and it's just the first day. I was sick of it weeks ago when the promos started hyping it up. Even though it's only every four years, I can't stand it. I really, really hate soccer.

Look, I understand that it takes tremendous stamina to play a soccer game and I am sure that there are great athletes involved. However, I really think soccer is a sport that parents push their kids into when the child cannot hit a ball, catch a ball, shoot a basketball, dribble a basketball, or catch or throw a football. I can see uncoordinated little Johnny and mom now, "Ok, Johnny, kick the ball to mommy". "I did it mommy, I kicked the ball." "Good, Johnny. Now kick the ball straight to mommy so that Mommy doesn't have to go get it." "Ok, Mommy. Whee, I kicked the ball!" >>

I would apply many words to this statement, one of which is "ethnocentrism"

There are others, of course.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many people consider baseball the ultimate bore where you have guys standing around doing absolutely nothing for extended stretches of time, and it's the only sport where you can still be out of shape and play. I'm not a soccer fan, per se, but the World Cup is worth watching as a sports fan, and to belittle it as the OP did just because he doesn't understand it, is rather pitiful, really, no matter if you watch soccer or not..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    if you like soccer than thats great. its a great sport with great athletes. but as long as there is football, i will never have any interest in watching soccer.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Just don't watch the European teams play. Watch the Africans, Asians and the South American teams. They don't dive and whine nearly as much.

You poor suffering NFL fans just have to deal with it, it's only once every four years. The NFL dorks and hype machine are on almost 24/7 all year every year.

It's not like there isn't still baseball and the NBA finals for those who hate it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>However, I really think soccer is a sport that parents push their kids into when the child cannot hit a ball, catch a ball, shoot a basketball, dribble a basketball, or catch or throw a football. >>

You sound bitter. Did your mommy and daddy make you play soccer? >>

Nope, not bitter at all. Just don't like it. It's just one of those things that I can't explain. Everybody has their own, for instance, band or music group that they don't like. Soccer is that way with me. I just don't like it. I tried watching a game one time and after about 10 minutes, it bored me to tears. I even played a "pick up" soccer game one time in high school. I scored 2 goals, but I was like, whoopedy doo! Never played it again.

Shane

• Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i> I even played a "pick up" soccer game one time in high school. I scored 2 goals, but I was like, whoopedy doo! Never played it again. >>

Dang man, you probably could've gone pro.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    i don't like Hockey, and I find Soccer to be similar, but with less action and less scoring... NO thank you. With that said, I'm STILL going to watch today's game against England. I'm drawn to spectacles...
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Nope, not bitter at all. Just don't like it. It's just one of those things that I can't explain. Everybody has their own, for instance, band or music group that they don't like. Soccer is that way with me. I just don't like it. I tried watching a game one time and after about 10 minutes, it bored me to tears. I even played a "pick up" soccer game one time in high school. I scored 2 goals, but I was like, whoopedy doo! Never played it again. >>

It's fine not to like it, but you don't need to denegrate the sport with a wacked-out opinion like "I really think soccer is a sport that parents push their kids into when the child cannot..."

On a different note... I'm not a soccer fan either. But I found this movie to be quite enjoyable. image

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>i don't like Hockey, and I find Soccer to be similar, but with less action and less scoring... NO thank you. With that said, I'm STILL going to watch today's game against England. I'm drawn to spectacles... >>

No Yuengling for you!
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    deleted for humanitarian reasons

• Options

I absolutely agree with you. It seems every year that I coach little league baseball, the 2 worst athletes on the team are always the 2 that play soccer. By pure coincidence, those 2 kids are always the 2 with the hottest moms.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think all sports are great for kids - ALL sports...builds character, friendships, and teamwork - even in individual sports, players usually work together with others to hone their skills.

I remember when I played football on the high school team, I thought I was in such great shape and frankly didn't have that much respect for soccer...but one time in gym class playing soccer for around 30 minutes, I got winded beyond belief, I could hardly catch my breath - LOL... I then gained respect for soccer as a game of endurance and of course other athletic skills involved.

I don't follow soccer, and don't particularly like watching it, but I respect the game, and I would never knock the players, especially the kids who enjoy it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> I even played a "pick up" soccer game one time in high school. I scored 2 goals, but I was like, whoopedy doo! Never played it again. >>

Dang man, you probably could've gone pro. >>

Yes, I could have, but I wouldn't have lasted very long because I would've lost interest midway through the first half of my first game of my rookie season. They would have released me the next day.

<< <i>

I absolutely agree with you. It seems every year that I coach little league baseball, the 2 worst athletes on the team are always the 2 that play soccer. By pure coincidence, those 2 kids are always the 2 with the hottest moms. >>

Thank you Bill. That is exactly what I meant.

Shane

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    The only thing worse than soccer is all of this endless talk and hype about the World Cup. Enough already, most of the U.S. could care less. Soccer is a lot like hockey, in that it does not translate at all to television. As boring as it is to watch in person, it is torture to watch soccer on tv. Most of the time, the ball is endlessly kicked back and forth in the center of the field, while the players try to "set up a play". There is nothing at all interesting or exciting about this.

There is some truth to the statement that kids play soccer because they can't play any other sports yet - and soccer is popular in a lot of poorer nations because it requires nothing, just a field and a ball. It will never be anything more than a small niche sport in this country, and once every four years is about the only time anyone even talks about it.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Have we Americans become too fat and lazy to even reach for a remote?
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Have we Americans become too fat and lazy to even reach for a remote? >>

Good point. Just change the damn channel. No complaints about football players walking aroung for 2 hours. No complaints about watching 50 commercials in the last 2 minutes of a football game. No complaints about baseball players taking 5 minutes to strike out.

• Options

<< <i>The only thing worse than soccer is all of this endless talk and hype about the World Cup. Enough already, most of the U.S. could care less. Soccer is a lot like hockey, in that it does not translate at all to television. As boring as it is to watch in person, it is torture to watch soccer on tv. Most of the time, the ball is endlessly kicked back and forth in the center of the field, while the players try to "set up a play". There is nothing at all interesting or exciting about this.

There is some truth to the statement that kids play soccer because they can't play any other sports yet - and soccer is popular in a lot of poorer nations because it requires nothing, just a field and a ball. It will never be anything more than a small niche sport in this country, and once every four years is about the only time anyone even talks about it. >>

Wow, I agreed with ctsoxfan! Will wonders ever cease? image

Shane

• Options
    < The only thing worse than soccer is all of this endless talk and hype about the World Cup. Enough already, most of the U.S. could care less. Soccer is a lot like hockey, in that it does not translate at all to television. As boring as it is to watch in person, it is torture to watch soccer on tv. Most of the time, the ball is endlessly kicked back and forth in the center of the field, while the players try to "set up a play". There is nothing at all interesting or exciting about this.

There is some truth to the statement that kids play soccer because they can't play any other sports yet - and soccer is popular in a lot of poorer nations because it requires nothing, just a field and a ball. It will never be anything more than a small niche sport in this country, and once every four years is about the only time anyone even talks about it. >>

Wow, I agreed with ctsoxfan! Will wonders ever cease?

Narrow-minded opinions and comments make strange bedfellows. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I just enjoy watching the South American and European sissies cry like babies when they get "hurt" on the field.

Hockey plays loose teeth, get stitched up, and return to the ice.
    Baseball players get hit with 95 mph fastballs and are trained to walk to first base without showing any pain.
    That's North American sport for ya.

South Americans and Europeans are taught that when an opponents foot slightly touches your cleat, you are to roll around
    on the pitch for a minute, then have a trainer come out and treat you like a newborn.
  • Options
    South Americans and Europeans are taught that when an opponents foot slightly touches your cleat, you are to roll around
    on the pitch for a minute, then have a trainer come out and treat you like a newborn.

In many cases, the flopping is done to try and draw a penalty, much like a punter flopping after the lightest brush on a kick or a basketball player trying to draw the foul.

There is no question that professional soccer games are the most grueling of any sport in terms of conditioning and endurance. In baseball you got guys like Prince Fielder who's fatter than some guys in my weekend softball league.

I wouldn't be mocking soccer if you are a hockey fan...in the US virtually no one even watches the Stanley Cup, much less cares about professional hockey.

• Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be mocking soccer if you are a hockey fan...in the US virtually no one even watches the Stanley Cup, much less cares about professional hockey. >>

That's not true by any means. Attendance average around the league is over 90% average and the sport is thriving right now. 2 million people showing up yesterday for the Blackhawks parade proves that people do care. You might not enjoy it, but there are MANY of us that do.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i don't watch soccer but once every four years and only if the US is in it so i don't mind

U.S.A. U.S.A. U.S.A. U.S.A. U.S.A.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

<< <i>

In many cases, the flopping is done to try and draw a penalty, much like a punter flopping after the lightest brush on a kick or a basketball player trying to draw the foul.

. >>

True, but you won't see punters lying on the field like little babies after trying to draw the penalty.
    Soccer players lie on the ground for minutes, and then get up and start sprinting like Jesus just healed them.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

. >>

True, but you won't see punters lying on the field like little babies after trying to draw the penalty.
    Soccer players lie on the ground for minutes, and then get up and start sprinting like Jesus just healed them. >>

If by minutes you mean 25 seconds, you're on the money
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

. >>

Soccer players lie on the ground for minutes, and then get up and start sprinting like Jesus just healed them. >>

If by minutes you mean 25 seconds, you're on the money >>

One of my favorite features of this board is that the youngest guy here- who I'm nearly sure is Goot- is also the most mature and level headed. I don't think I've ever seen a board where a 19-20 year old set the standard for decency.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Try watching a little of the World Cup games and I think you might change your opinion. It's really exciting. Since there is so little scoring each goal means so much. Similar to hockey I think it's very exciting even though I am not real knowledgable on either sport. I watched a bunch of the game today, along with many others, during our kids swim meet. A lot of the parents were running back and forth from the pool to the TV.

As stated above soccer is the world's sport and there is nothing wrong with USA trying to keep up with the rest of the world. Maybe if we caught up people would like the sport better.

As for the worst athletes thing that's not true in my area. The vast majority of kids play soccer regardless of athletic ability.
  • Options

<< <i>

One of my favorite features of this board is that the youngest guy here- who I'm nearly sure is Goot- is also the most mature and level headed. I don't think I've ever seen a board where a 19-20 year old set the standard for decency. >>

I'm not sure about most mature and level headed, but I try and keep an open mind about nearly everything. Thanks for the compliment though. And yep, I'm 19 now... as lame as it sounds you guys have kinda seen me grow up and mature on here.

Now back to your regularly scheduled flame war... image
  • Options

<< <i>Try watching a little of the World Cup games and I think you might change your opinion. It's really exciting. Since there is so little scoring each goal means so much. Similar to hockey I think it's very exciting even though I am not real knowledgable on either sport. I watched a bunch of the game today, along with many others, during our kids swim meet. A lot of the parents were running back and forth from the pool to the TV.

As stated above soccer is the world's sport and there is nothing wrong with USA trying to keep up with the rest of the world. Maybe if we caught up people would like the sport better.

As for the worst athletes thing that's not true in my area. The vast majority of kids play soccer regardless of athletic ability. >>

Agreed on all points. Anyone who's ever tried to kick a ball accurately can attest to how difficult this sport is to play. It's also worth noting that in a sport like baseball you only need to do one thing well in order to prosper. Take Babe Ruth for example-- the guy was clinically obese, and he's heralded as one of the greatest baseball players of all time. Why? Because he could turn on a pitch. His ability to put a bat on a ball is the reason he's so highly regarded today, and even if he had no other discernible skills (i.e., even if he wasn't also a competent pitcher) he would still be revered by baseball fans and historians. In a sport like soccer, however, it's not enough to be able to simply 'kick the ball accurately'. You also have to have the stamina of long distance runner, and the native athletic intelligence of a point guard. There are no 'one trick ponies' in world-class soccer; something that cannot be said for baseball.

In any event, I think the World Cup is a lot of fun. I'm not a big soccer fan, but every four years it's fun to gather at the local watering hole and see if the US can put together a decent performance. It's also VERY NICE to watch two hours of sport that's virtually uninterrupted by Bud Light and Viagra commercials.
  • Options
    Here's what BJ Upton, one of those real athletes has to say about soccer. This is from the St. Pete Times.

<< <i>B.J. Upton is, arguably, the best athlete among the Rays and one of the elite in the majors with a combination of speed, strength, agility and grace that makes it seem anything is possible any time he steps on the field. But for the next month, he will be the one watching in awe. Soccer's World Cup is under way, and Upton is the leader of a group of Rays who are big fans of the game and the players.

"You hear a lot of people knock the sport," Upton said. "But to be able to handle the ball like they do — with their feet — and to run that much, close to 4-5 miles a game, at the same time, that's tough to do."

Upton is rooting hard for the U.S. team, and his interest led to a role in an Adidas campaign to garner fans. Upton's favorite player is forward Jozy Altidore, and he'll wear his No. 17 jersey on the Rays' World Cup-themed flight to Atlanta on Monday.

With some prodding, Upton said he could see himself as a speedy midfielder or forward but acknowledged that without considerable improvement in his skills he'd have to stick to defense.

Realistically, Upton said, there's no way, even as good shape as he's in, that he could stay on the field for anywhere near 90 minutes with the real players.

"No chance," he said. "No chance. You won't see me on the pitch."

<< <i>

• Options
    WOW! They can run 4 or 5 miles a game. Must be superior world class athletes. I drink and smoke and I can do that.
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    Soccer was made for 5 - 8 year olds. It shouldn't be a grown mans sport - and if it were - it should never be at this level. The only way I could watch it is with a hang-over - because I know I wouldn't miss anything while I'm asleep; recovering. Hey, we have another 0-0 final score!!!!!!!!!! Exactly what did you do for those 90 or so minutes?????
  • Options

<< <i>WOW! They can run 4 or 5 miles a game. Must be superior world class athletes. I drink and smoke and I can do that. >>

Do you and frankhardy have the same agent?

And despite what many think on here, I'm not some soccer apologist. Just trying to show that soccer deserves respect. Younger generations are taking it more seriously and it is becoming more popular in the states slowly but surely and is here to stay. This isn't the 1960s, or even 80s where this is a game that only "dem fureners" play.

BTW, you guys realize you collect sports cards, right? Something as silly as collecting another grown mans picture. And yet you criticize athletes by saying they're not manly enough? Do any of you play in the NFL? And people wonder why the sports cards market is going downhill... some of you closed minded old codgers kind of set the precedent for the hobby.
  • Options
    BTW, you guys realize you collect sports cards, right? Something as silly as collecting another grown mans picture. And yet you criticize athletes by saying they're not manly enough? Do any of you play in the NFL? And people wonder why the sports cards market is going downhill... some of you closed minded old codgers kind of set the precedent for the hobby.

+1

• Options
    As a former captain of my high school soccer team, and starting third baseman of my high school baseball team, I can
    tell you that neither sport is harder to play. You get out of it what you put into it.

However, doing a bicycle kick or any move in soccer is much easier then hitting a 95 mph fastball, or an 84 mph changeup.
  • Options

<< <i>

BTW, you guys realize you collect sports cards, right? . >>

Nah, that's for silly folks. The real men collect silver and gold. image
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    The younger generation is really into soccer, that is why we have seen the US team improve so much during the last two decades. Team USA is now a World Cup regular and always a threat to get into the second round.

There is a growing number of kids involved in soccer and as they get older, they try for the national team. This is why soccer will only get better here in the USA. I wonder what will happen to the popularity of soccer cards in the coming decade.....now they are next to nothing, but as more people become interested, it may be a sleeper.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    dantheman984dantheman984 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭
    Opinions really are different. I can`t believe people are comparing Soccer to Hockey?? Hockey is non-stop excitement to me. I really tried to watch the U.S. play Soccer yesterday. In 5 minutes, I had enough. I am not going to bash Soccer but I put right up there with curling. Can`t wait for Hockey!!
    Danimage
  • Options
    Marathon runners are tremendous athletes, but I ain't watching them run.

Shane