Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What would be the best scopes/loupes......

Microscope to inspect coins with at home?

I have a real low end one that doesnt even have lights shining down on the coin which is a real negitive but would like to know what would be a better one with lights shining down on the coin with adjustable lenses. Any recommendations?

Best loupe for checking coins with on the go? I have a 16x metal loupe and a 3 way plastic loupe 5x-20X . I was wondering do they make better stronger ones so i can see in better detail around mint marks and double strikes.
Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3

Comments

• Options
    Its spelled loupe.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a 12x Eschenbach (for cherrypicking varieties) loupe recently, and I can't say enough good things about it. Best $100 I ever spent. The optics are clear, and it's a larger size, making everything easy to see.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    I use this scope. It does have an upper and lower light. The lower light is useless for coins and the upper light is a bit weak so I use an OTT Lamp for additionaly lighting. It is by no means the best scope but it does serve my purpose. Any future scope will have a camera mount.

For a loupe I use a 10 x Hastings triplet for detailed looks and a cheapy folding loupe for quick and dirty work.
    For me, loupe's are 6 speed transmissions for an automatic transmission guy as I always struggle with getting a good light source. Maybe it's the size of my probiscus blocking out the available light? Who knows?

The scope is used for finalizing and photography.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    I fixed my spelling issue. I wont let it happen again.

Anyway, Im thinking http://www.coinmicroscopes.com/products/028b000m.html might be a good one for me but I was wondering where can i get a used one that is just as good or better for a good price. Any examples and advise would be helpful ( on scopes and LOUPES)
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zeiss D36 6X and 3X can make 9X

expect to pay from $115 to $135 or so

edited spelling so I wouldn't get slapped by the spelling police.

hope I don't make any more misteaks
  • Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use B&L 2X fixed pod with 15x eyepieces for my home viewing. Awesome setup, and quite cheap. Lighting will cost you more than the scope and stand.

For loupes, I prefer Russian optics over B&L, though I have some B&L Triplets that are really nice. The Eschenbach single lens are the best singles around, but I still prefer the triplets.

RayP
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know anything about this thing for $179?

Scope with 2MP Digi Camera
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    zas107zas107 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    In my opinion the best loupes are made by Zeiss, and Eschenbach. I would strongly recommend a 3+6=9 loupe by either company. Eschenbach makes a 20x that is good if you need something that is really strong.
  • Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Its spelled loupe. >>

It's spelled it's (It is = It's) image
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont get me started I can't spell worth a sh$% but I try. image This is what I use.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Zeiss D36 6X and 3X can make 9X"

I agree... great loupe and no distortion. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyway, Im thinking http://www.coinmicroscopes.com/products/028b000m.html might be a good one for me but I was wondering where can i get a used one that is just as good or better for a good price. >>

If the sample pictures are meant to impress, here's one that doesn't.

Look at the chromatic distortion (blue and red fringes) near the left and bottom edges where the detail is not in focus. Also note that the only part of the image that is in focus is the center. This screams "cheap optics." Better scopes are sharp edge-to-edge because the optics are corrected to prevent this distortion, which makes them more expensive. You'll notice the same effect on your 16x loupe if it's the one I think it is. I use a Bausch & Lomb 10x Hastings triplet that cost me about $30-35 new and a Bausch & Lomb StereoZoom 4 (7-30x when using 10x eyepieces) microscope I bought used for about $300 on eBay. If you stick with name brands like Bausch & Lomb, Leica, Nikon, Zeiss, Meiji, and Olympus, not only will you get well-designed optics, but a used scope will retain most, if not all, of its value.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...i'm surprised this wasn't mentioned.

"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Zeiss D36 6X and 3X can make 9X"

I agree... great loupe and no distortion. Cheers, RickO >>

I own one and it's a great loupe but it may be a little pricey for someone on a budget. B&L makes some nice magnifiers that are much less expensive and still do a good job.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    B&L Stereozooms are selling for peanuts on eBay lately. I don't recommend buying them unless you are willing to do the alignment and cleaning, but if you want to spend a few hours on them I've seen SZ-4 on stands with 10x eyepieces for <$100. I personally like working on them so ended up buying several to play with, give to family, or re-sell.

• Options
    A bonded triplet will always be better than a separated doublet if minimum distortion and chromatic aberration is important to you. Not as flexible since you don't get two magnifications, but a better image.

• Options
    Im mostly satisfied with my loupe but wouldnt mind looking for an upgrade if something was a little stronger. but microscopes its hard cause i never bought one before and know very little about it. I dont know via online how to know what one would be best for my application. I know what im looking for in the end just not good with terms and what limitations scopes have with coin viewing
  • Options
    Tell us what you are looking for in your own words and I bet someone will be able to make a recommendation.

• Options
    Here is my loupe now its a 16x

and heres the microscope i have and the setup i have going.

The loupe I would like a 20 or 24x. maybe with a light but i can do without a light

Microscope:

I need one with a good light pointed down onto the coin (no light pointed upwards)
    1 or 2 eye pieces
    from 2xor 4x to 40 x or 20x would be nice .
    Camera link up with either a screen like the one i saw for 209.00 a forum member posted here. or a camera that could link up via USB.
    For as a camera I know some screw on to the eye piece and some are mounted from the top like on a pole.
    If the set up is good enough and i cant get/afford a camera if i can use my phone for a picture it would work great too.
    Im not too worried about size it can be on the bulky size if it saves on price at all.
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Microscope to inspect coins with at home?

I have a real low end one that doesnt even have lights shining down on the coin which is a real negitive but would like to know what would be a better one with lights shining down on the coin with adjustable lenses. Any recommendations?

Best loupe for checking coins with on the go? I have a 16x metal loupe and a 3 way plastic loupe 5x-20X . I was wondering do they make better stronger ones so i can see in better detail around mint marks and double strikes. >>

Dermascope

Anyone ever try one of these? I saw one at the dermatologist after I developed a PVC fungus from faulty coin flips(haha).
    I brought a coin in on my next routine checkup. It worked so well I bought one. The attached has a 10x variable lens with a scaled lens template and a great light source.
    Works good for me with my big mits.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Microscope to inspect coins with at home?

Best loupe for checking coins with on the go? I have a 16x metal loupe and a 3 way plastic loupe 5x-20X . I was wondering do they make better stronger ones so i can see in better detail around mint marks and double strikes. >>

Dermascope

Anyone ever try one of these? I saw one at the dermatologist after I developed a PVC fungus from faulty coin flips(haha).
    I brought a coin in on my next routine checkup. It worked so well I bought one. The attached has a 10x variable lens with a scaled lens template and a great light source.
    Works good for me with my big mits. >>

ttt
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    I just tried using these image
    on coins: Pentax Papilio 6.5. The Papilio focuses to a half-meter. Which means you can hold a coin at less than arm's length and it is like holding a coin three inches from your eyes, but with perfect stereo vision! I can both appreciate the coin better and make out its flaws easily. The Papilio also comes in 8.5x, which should make it even more useful.

Can't wait to try 'em out at the next auction lot viewing - it'll sure speed things up!
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file