Home Sports Talk
Options

Pat Burrell now a Giant

digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
I guess the Giants are hoping that a change of scenery will help Burrell like it seems to be doing for Aubrey Huff.
My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496

BTW, I hope for your sake a change of scenery helps him. But he left the Rays saying he wasn't given a fair shot. Earth to Pat Burrell, you were given over a year to prove yourself and you hit about .180 against Lefties (which is what he was signed to do) in that time frame!!! When he left the Rays everyone was saying, he can't field, he can't run and he couldn't hit.....what exactly is it he can do?? Maybe a trip back to the NL will do him some good.

Text
  • Options
    The Giants are paying him the league minimum, so if he ends up sucking badly, they probably won't play him.

Plus, the Giants didn't get him to be a starter. At least, I hope they didn't. The current corner outfielders (Huff and Torres) are the team's best hitters, and while center fielder Aaron Rowand is struggling badly, his job is secure because the Giants ALWAYS play the money, regardless of performance.

• Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>The Giants are paying him the league minimum, so if he ends up sucking badly, they probably won't play him.

>>

Yeah I realize. The Giants are paying him $400k while the Rays pay the rest of his salary image

All I'm saying is don't expect to be getting "Pat the Bat".
  • Options

<< <i>All I'm saying is don't expect to be getting "Pat the Bat". >>

The Giants just waved middle reliever Brandon Medders (who's on the 15 day DL and rehabbing in AAA) to make room for Burrell.

Medders coughed up 12 runs in 15 innings of work so far this year.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good move by the Phils getting rid of him at the right time...I was in favor of this move even though a number of Phillies fans wanted to keep him after the WS win.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Pat Burrell can cough up more runs than that with his stellar fielding...
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pat Burrell can cough up more runs than that with his stellar fielding... >>

I think his career fell apart when he started dying his hair blond. What a wierd time that was.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    I stand corrected, Burrell is starting in LF tonight. !?!?!

The thing that shocks me more is that Bengie Molina is batting cleanup. He has the lowest SLG% of any of the starters, and has hit a grand total of 7 extra base hits (5 doubles, 2 homers) all year. In contrast, the backup catcher Eli Whiteside has managed to hit 9 extra base hits (5 doubles, 4 homers) in a third of the at bats.

• Options
    Well, it looks like Burrell is officially the new #4 outfielder, shoving poor Nate Schierholtz further down the hole. Oh well.

Pat the Bat launched a 2 run bomb today. No exposive errors in the field yet though.

<< <i>I think his career fell apart when he started dying his hair blond. What a wierd time that was. >>

His hair looked dark on TV, and he's been productive so far. Looks like the dye was affecting his swing. image

• Options
    Pat enjoying a beer during the Giants victory parade.... at 11 am??!??!

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Digi your boys deserved it...

too tough...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I like the logo Digi, are you still on the emotional high?
  • Options
    Kinda looks like a soda. Maybe a Pepsi? Burrell had a HORRIBLE Series. But to be honest, .266 with 18 HR's and 51 RBI's in 60% of a season for $400k is a pretty good bargain for the Giants. Burrell seems like a good guy. I want him to succeed. Hopefully the Giants will keep him around and he will hit like he once did. Congrats to the Giants.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>Kinda looks like a soda. Maybe a Pepsi? Burrell had a HORRIBLE Series. But to be honest, .266 with 18 HR's and 51 RBI's in 60% of a season for $400k is a pretty good bargain for the Giants. Burrell seems like a good guy. I want him to succeed. Hopefully the Giants will keep him around and he will hit like he once did. Congrats to the Giants. >>

Look closely, it's a Bud Light can.

The Giants wouldn't have made it to the post-season w/o Pat. He was a key ingredient in the Giants success. He helped carry the team to October, and the team returned the favor and carried him to the finish line.

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Look closely, it's a Bud Light can.

The Giants wouldn't have made it to the post-season w/o Pat. He was a key ingredient in the Giants success. He helped carry the team to October, and the team returned the favor and carried him to the finish line. >>

even w/o HD it screamed Bud Light. and agree w/you re Burrell. he won a few games and did some work for the team to get where it needed to be.

BTW did you go to the parade?...haven't read any posts today. it's forever on my DVR in HD. and in some ways more emotional to me than the WS victory
  • Options

<< <i>BTW did you go to the parade? >>

No. I listened to the event on the radio and streamed video (when it worked) on the internet. I probably saw more than 90% of the people there. image

• Options
    What do you think about the Giants offseason plans? I actually think they should bring everybody back except for those with outrageous contract demands. Except for Guillen of course, who was a nonfactor. Until Zito and Rowand's contracts expire, they'll be against their internal salary cap limit, so they really can't afford to go after Werth. I'm not really all that impressed by Werth either. I think he's overrated. And with Torres emerging last year, I don't really think that Crawford is a necessity. Everybody was/is tremendously worried about the Giants' offense, but I think that's mostly a product of last year and early this season. Once Posey came up, and with their late season pickups, their offense improved considerably. I think the biggest thing that people are worried about is the middle of the order 3-5. Only Posey is a good fit there, and the rest are decent players but not stereotypical big bat 3-5 hitters. However, I think the combination of Burrell, Huff, Ross are good enough to score some runs with the pitching staff they have. Anyway, if I were the Giants, I would just be cost conscious and try to re-sign as many of the current players for reasonable contracts. I think that would please the fans, who would understand that the Giants not go after a big bat. They should lockup Sanchez during arbitration. He's still an excellent option at 3 or 4 in the rotation. They need to get Panda fixed up over the offseason, and from what I read, they gave him a good talking to. If Sandoval could return to a .300+ hitter, that could be a big boost to the offense. Finally, I've heard they have another stud in the minors similar to Posey. If one of the group of Huff, Ross, Burrell falters, they can bring this guy up, and shift the others over. De La Rosa is also coming back from injury, so he could be a nice surprise. Even though the Giants lack the big bat, they still have a bunch of players who are good mix and match and can plug holes if someone else isn't playing well. I mean no expected anything from Rentaria or Rowand in the playoffs, and Rentaria paid off huge even though Rowand didn't.
  • Options
    Might be time for a "Giants Hot Stove League" thread. image