Home Metal Detecting

Garrett Ace 250

123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
I just bought one of these entry level detectors. Does anyone have any experience with this model? Thanks!

Comments

• ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I bought it a couple of months ago and like it so far. I was going to get a better one, but opted for the sun ray pin pointer instead of buying a better machine. -Dan
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought it a couple of months ago and like it so far. I was going to get a better one, but opted for the sun ray pin pointer instead of buying a better machine. -Dan >>

Thanks for the info Dan. It is much appreciated!
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    I've been using one for about the last three years now since I sold my Garrett GTAX1000, it performs every bit as well as the more expensive machine in my experience and is alot lighter and uses less batteries. I've found probably 6+ large cents with it and lots of silver and Indians. See my post from a couple of nights ago- I found my oldest US coin to date with an ACE250- an 1819 large cent and just got back tonight from finding a sterling silver ring and an 1854 1/2 penny- to bad its Canadian. I don't think there the greatest machine around beaches, but they give alot of performance in my opinion for the dollar and are pretty simple to use.

<< <i>I've been using one for about the last three years now since I sold my Garrett GTAX1000, it performs every bit as well as the more expensive machine in my experience and is alot lighter and uses less batteries. I've found probably 6+ large cents with it and lots of silver and Indians. See my post from a couple of nights ago- I found my oldest US coin to date with an ACE250- an 1819 large cent and just got back tonight from finding a sterling silver ring and an 1854 1/2 penny- to bad its Canadian. I don't think there the greatest machine around beaches, but they give alot of performance in my opinion for the dollar and are pretty simple to use. >>

Thanks for the great info and I will read your post.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ace 250's are a fine machine.... although not in wet (salt water) sand or water. On another forum (www.metaldetectingforum.com), many people use it and are very happy with it. Seems to be a great unit, albeit not high tech. And if you are not looking for those extras (programmable, extra depth, etc) then you will be happy too. Cheers, RickO

<< <i>Ace 250's are a fine machine.... although not in wet (salt water) sand or water. On another forum (www.metaldetectingforum.com), many people use it and are very happy with it. Seems to be a great unit, albeit not high tech. And if you are not looking for those extras (programmable, extra depth, etc) then you will be happy too. Cheers, RickO >>

I getting so much great information. Thanks Ricko!
  • laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    In my experience, do not set the sensitivity too high and you will do better. I set mine a little more than half way. I do find that the pinpointing is not too accurate and is more to the side and rear than right under the half circle.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    I got one from someone on here for $150 and have been loving it so far, but I am comparing it to my first detector a cheapo Bounty Hunter Quick Silver. The only 2 things I don't care for about it are how the metal screws that hold the main electronics box onto the pole screw into the plastic on the box. Its a minor complaint but I hate when companies decide to have plastic threads for metal screws. The only other thing I don't care for, and its only a preference, is that the settings to change between all metal/jewelry/coins etc. are kinda not necessary because you can just set it on "all metal" and then just select and discriminate out the metals you don't want. I find the pinpointer very accurate, unlike someone else, and it seems to be showing a 100% pinpoint signal for coin size items in the center of the coil and about maybe 1-2" away from center. I'm so happy about the battery life because my Bounty Hunter, with its rechargeable batteries mind you, only lasted about 6 hours at best on 2 fully charged 9-volts. The Ace 250, using 4 AA's, has lasted me atleast 15 hours and the batteries still have plenty left. For some reason the Ace 250 wouldnt work with earbuds that I was using on the Bounty Hunter but that might have to do with I cut off one earbud so I had one ear free and I was using a "small to large" adapter for the headphone plug. It would be nice if Garrett incorporated some kind of brighter lit display so its easier to see it in darker hours.
    Nice info. Thanks!
  • I just bought the Garret 150. Seems to work good. I have some occasional problems discriminating between different metals. May be the user, as I don't have much experience using it yet. It does pin point pretty well, and the things it detects are pretty much where they should be. I imagine the 250 is better at discriminating between the different metals, but this rig is a good entry level buy.
    FlynJack

<< <i>I just bought the Garret 150. Seems to work good. I have some occasional problems discriminating between different metals. May be the user, as I don't have much experience using it yet. It does pin point pretty well, and the things it detects are pretty much where they should be. I imagine the 250 is better at discriminating between the different metals, but this rig is a good entry level buy. >>

Hope you do weel with your FlynJack.