Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How is this SLQ even close to being a Full Head?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spot on holder???image
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    you know Full Heads as well as anyone I know .

and apparently much more then the CAC guy image
  • Options

<< <i>you know Full Heads as well as anyone I know .

and apparently much more then the CAC guy image >>

Thanks... I'm getting ready to start a Stickering program just for CAC stickered TPG FH designated SLQ's! image
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I once fell into that trap - and its a learning experience
    but I wouldn't pay for a FH coin - regardless of what the
    holder said - if the coin looked anything that that one.

Don't get me wrong - I really like that coin - but its not
    a FH coin !!!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That coin is a poster child for why collectors still need to learn to grade what they collect.
    It was deemed FH by NGC, CAC and Harry L. image

And any schmo who buys it will learn the real meaning of FH when he tries to sell it later on.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options

<< <i>I once fell into that trap - and its a learning experience
    but I wouldn't pay for a FH coin - regardless of what the
    holder said - if the coin looked anything that that one.

Don't get me wrong - I really like that coin - but its not
    a FH coin !!! >>

Thanks MFH as at first I thought my eyes where playing tricks on me... then I zoomed in.

Wow there's a LOT of detail missing to even make the bare minimum requirements of a FH.
  • Options

<< <i>That coin is a poster child for why collectors still need to learn to grade what they collect.
    It was deemed FH by NGC, CAC and Harry L. image

And any schmo who buys it will learn the real meaning of FH when he tries to sell it later on. >>

It's like a $5,200.00 loss as PCGS values for a non FH MS63 = $750.00.

I'm now completely convinced that CAC is NOT stickering these TPG FH designated SLQ's for the Head... JUST the Grade.

Here's another 1920-S FH thread which was for educational purposes.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Does CAC look at the designation as well? I thought I heard they only look at the numerical grade on the holder.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>Does CAC look at the designation as well? I thought I heard they only look at the numerical grade on the holder.

-Paul >>

I feel it's just the grade as I've seen roughly 8 CAC FH SLQ's that had no full heads.

Yet if your paying them for a Forth Party Opinion and they sticker it wouldn't you expect them to agree with FH, FB, FBL, FT, etc. designations image
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    .....let me tell you this , whether Full Head , Full Bands, Full Bell Lines-

CAC is stickering the designation as well as the grade - make no mistake about this .

Cac , once this becomes a obvious blunder , will ask for the coin back so they can pull the sticker off to save face .

Then they call it "taking the coin off the market" ......yea ............right
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Extremely pleasing key date in FH designation

I think Harry skirting the issue.....
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    machoponchomachoponcho Posts: 355 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Extremely pleasing key date in FH designation

I think Harry skirting the issue..... >>

Exactly. A bit of numismatic tap-dancing. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm not convinced either way that it is or isn't a Full Head based on those pictures. The more I look at it, the more it looks like that light area over the head is a spot on the slab, not the coin, and a Full Head might be visible below that spot on the slab if it is a spot.
    I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Extremely pleasing key date in FH designation

I think Harry skirting the issue..... >>

Exactly. A bit of numismatic tap-dancing. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm not convinced either way that it is or isn't a Full Head based on those pictures. The more I look at it, the more it looks like that light area over the head is a spot on the slab, not the coin, and a Full Head might be visible below that spot on the slab if it is a spot. >>

This coin has crossed Heritage 3 times in the last 6 years, easily identified as the same coin by the toning pattern.
    Heritage too tip toed around actually addressing the head on this example on all descriptions.
    Here below is the best of the 3 head details from prior auctions...
    Notice a pin hole for a ear hole, yet the full hairline along the brow and face along with three well defined leaves are missing.

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 1,240 ✭✭
    Interesting coin. Ask yourself, why is the toning missing around the earhole but covering most of the head?

TRUTH
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe HL's description coyly skirted the 'issue', but his asking price sure doesn't.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    Someone dropped the ball on that one.
  • Options
    Its a FH when you buy it and a non FH when you go to sell it later. Classic example of why you need to grade the coins yourself. So much for CAC.image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broadstruck, if anyone knows 'full head', I am sure it is you...image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    the blow-up around the head at HLRC shows a larger circle of untoned area around the head

I suspect

this is why PCGS started the lawsuit - coin looked much better when graded (and CACd) I suspect

and then after years the putty and tooling melted back to mush, causing a rebuy issue
  • Options
    looks like a playboy icon sitting on the side of her head. Price is generously high.
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

I am not sure either if this is a Full Head. Is there supposed to be an indentation where the ear is?

Regardless, it appears that two rivets on the shield at the lower left are weak and the image in the center of the shield, the mini shield, looks weak, which might give some purists some consternation that this is not a "full strike".
  • Options

<< <i>I am not sure either if this is a Full Head. Is there supposed to be an indentation where the ear is?

Regardless, it appears that two rivets on the shield at the lower left are weak and the image in the center of the shield, the mini shield, looks weak, which might give some purists some consternation that this is not a "full strike". >>

The two rivets are weak but there.

When your chasing full heads sometimes you need to make sacrifices as it's rare to find an example that possess it all.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    If a SL quarter collector doesn't know what a true "FH" (or also a fully struck) coin looks like, he shouldn't be buying.
  • Options
    machoponchomachoponcho Posts: 355 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting coin. Ask yourself, why is the toning missing around the earhole but covering most of the head?

TRUTH >>

Hmm, jargons!

Having viewed the additional photos of the coin in question, I will now agree it does leave a bit to be desired for being an FH, but that best Heritage photo is better than the Laibstain photo. I wasn't ready to condemn this coin based on only the HLRC pics.
    I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.
  • Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file