Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is nipple butter?

I inherited a bunch of coins from my wifes father.
I opened one of the boxes yesterday and found a baby food jar with a yellow greesey substance in the jar. On the lable my father in law had wrote nipple butter I think he may of used it to preserve some of his coins. Any idea what this stuff is?
Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a cream that's used to soften the utters of cows.

There's also a human version to heal sore cracked nipples during breastfeeding.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    It is used by breast feeding moms.

The nipple gets dry and could crack and the nipple butter lubes it.

Not sure of an application for coins.

From google:

Sweetie, you got sore nipples? Has Mama got the clinically tested, non-irritating natural nipple cream for you! The first organic, all natural, plant-based balm created without lanolin, so it is certified vegan too. Earth Mama Angel Baby's Natural Nipple Butter is a rich, organic nipple cream, made with naturally healing organic calendula, cocoa butter, shea butter and mango butter. It is clinically tested and safe for both nursing mamas and babies - no need to wash it off before nursing - and it is hospital recommended!

We all know that breastfeeding is a wonder of nature, and the best way to nourish your new little one. But sore nipples are no petty predicament. Sore and cracked nipples can diminish some of the joy of nursing, so keeping them nourished, protected and moisturized helps you as you nourish your angel baby, naturally.
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Not sure of an application for coins. >>

Your father in law may have used it as a natural preventative to prevent oxidation.

Sort of like a coating of Cosmoline on metal to prevent rust.

If any of the coins have a greasy sheen to them soaking them in rubbing alcohol should remove it with no harm.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apply at the rate of two nipples to a dime.........

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Apply at the rate of two nipples to a dime.........

image >>

1/2 dose for SLQ type I
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Apply at the rate of two nipples to a dime.........

image >>

1/2 dose for SLQ type I >>

I'm going back to bed.
  • Options
    TevaTeva Posts: 830
    I just found the original tin and it was peters nipple and breech plug lube. So now I know what it is I am wondering what my father in law used it for? My father in law was a master machinist fo over fifty years he knew metal so its still my guess that he used it to preserve
    some coins.I have over $5000 in face value of gold silver and copper
    that I inherited and I have not seen anything that looks like its greesy or coated but this stuff has been boxed up for a long time
    and I have only gone thru the gold and a small fraction of the copper so I may not have seen it yet.
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Options
    Maybe he just had really dry chapped hands image
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did he have any black powder fire arms? "Nipple butter" is used as a preservative to prevent rust.
    Doug
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Now for the real question: Does using nipple butter on coins constitute "doctoring" of coins?
    Dr. Pete
  • Options

<< <i>Now for the real question: Does using nipple butter on coins constitute "doctoring" of coins? >>

No, that would be "nursing" of coins!!!!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>Now for the real question: Does using nipple butter on coins constitute "doctoring" of coins? >>

LOL I sure it dose but these coins were put into the safty deposit box july 1966 and I am sure my father in law was doing what he thought was the right thing to do at the time and was probably advised to do so by a local expert dealer times have changed..
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    omg, i dont see this thread getting none to big. then again what do i know lol image. ( keep it up )
  • Options
    Nursing coins...that's just about the funniest thing I've read here - ever.

I know that they the bump where the cap is placed on a blackpowder firearm is a nipple, and I suspect that nipple butter was used to keep the charge dry and moisture free.

Then again, maybe he owned a dairy on the side as well...
  • Options
    Did your father in law own a lot of bust coinage image
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can nipple butter be used by a coin doctor to cover up a trace of friction on the "high points" of 1916-17 Standing Liberty Quarters?
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin Nurse... image

I think we need to hear from the local WIN chapter on this... image
  • Options

<< <i>Did he have any black powder fire arms? "Nipple butter" is used as a preservative to prevent rust. >>

Or maybe owned a Fembot as it Austin Powers with machine gun nipples image

• Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    those fembots dont need machine guns, they are weapons from the floor up
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe he just had really dry chapped hands image >>

Or nipples...

• Options
    pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920

<< <i>

image >>

image Dang, Capt. you're quick!
  • Options

<< <i>

image >>

That made me laugh so hard I think I hurt myself.....
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree on "Nursing".

We actually used a product called "Bag Balm" on our baby's behinds, which was produced for use on dairy cattle nipples. It had antiseptic properties and kicked butt on diaper rash, in fact we still have a tin of it in the cupboard. Wondering if it's antiseptic properties might kill verdigris or other growth on coins?
  • Options

<< <i>Did your father in law own a lot of bust coinage image >>

It been ten years and I have not even looked at the silver I just started opening the boxes yesterday. I had to go to the bank and empty out my safety deposit boxes because the bank is moving into a new building so I brought it all home and started
    looking thru it . All I have seen so far are morgans peace dollars
    standing libertys a lot of standing libertys its more like a hoard than a collection.
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    I gotcher nipple butter ... right here!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, sounds like a snack.....any good on toast? image Cheers, RickO

• Options

<< <i>mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, sounds like a snack.....any good on toast? image Cheers, RickO >>

Now if Teva can only find a jar of petroleum Jelly in the other boxes! imageimage
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did your father in law own a lot of bust coinage image >>

Nicely done Broadstruck, well played! image

JH
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< Now for the real question: Does using nipple butter on coins constitute "doctoring" of coins? >>

No, that would be "nursing" of coins!!!! >>

Now Capn' I salute you, that was funny.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

<< <i>

image >>

You may want to copy write that phrase?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i><< Now for the real question: Does using nipple butter on coins constitute "doctoring" of coins? >>

No, that would be "nursing" of coins!!!! >>

Now Capn' I salute you, that was funny.
    Jim >>

Can I get a "POTD"??????

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does nipple butter go with sex wax?
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm eagerly awaiting the story of the long lost horde of grampa's dollar bags that were found with a can of bag balm.image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    ......my thread on plugging up the oil leak with coins get's bammed and now I gotta stoop to putting butter on my nipples ......
  • Options
    MinerscoinMinerscoin Posts: 87 ✭✭
    Nipple cream is really nothing more than lanolin. Does that collection have lots of large cents because that is what some put on their circulated dull large cents to brighten them up a little. I bought a small tube at walmart 25 years ago to see if it really worked and it does brighten up circulated dull copper. You really only need a very minute amount to work or you will end up with a sticky greasy mess. It seems to work wonders on dull copper and was used for many years and may still be used by some old time copper guys. I have no idea if it helps or hurts high grade large cents because I was always afraid to try it on them.
    I don't think it really changes anything on the coin except makes it a little brighter and more presentable. Pretty much the same way oil helps and protects old copper from getting worse. I now only use it to protect the metal on guns and old rusted metal on antiques and it does work.

Mark
  • Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    Nipple Butter.... This thread is useless without pictures!

Anyone agree?
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like something you'd find at your local Hustler Superstore...
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    up here in maine we call that bag balm
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, Bag Balm is for the cows (and useful on humans as well) and Nipple Grease is for muzzleloaders. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a cream that's used to soften the utters of cows.

There's also a human version to heal sore cracked nipples during breastfeeding. >>

I agree---except it should be UDDERSimage
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    the "nursing" of coins

all time greatest (so far)
    "spot on my UHR, nevermind, I wiped it off"
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    This thread is UDDERLY rediculous!

Perhaps he was trying to turn his cold-hard-cash into soft money?

Trying to grease the wheels of commerce?

Giving his bullion some liquidity? (greasy as it might be)

Softening his financial burden?

Perhaps he was working toward some SUPPLE-mental income?

Additionally:

Do you know what happened when the cow with short legs tried to jump the barbed wire fence....udder destruction!

• Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Unless you've got some GREAT coins in the jar, I'd toss it all rather than deal with that glop.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>Yep, Bag Balm is for the cows (and useful on humans as well) and Nipple Grease is for muzzleloaders. Cheers, RickO >>

Sure, makes using the nipple wrench much easier when cleaning your (muzzle loaders) nipple. A fouled nipple could case a misfire.
  • Options
    Collector Of Indian Cents!
    Fly-In Club
    My PCGS Registry Sets

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file