Home Metal Detecting
Options

Got an oldie tonight...thought I would share a couple of quick pictures!

kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
My oldest US coin to date- not quite the chain cent I was wishing for, but it did get me into the teens!

Looks to have been probably in XF or AU condition when lost even, and better yet I believe it is the overdate - the 9 looks to have remains of an 8 under it!

I'll try to fill in some details tomorrow when I have more time- but a little teaser- this is not my first large cent from this site this year!

Comments

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! It has excellent detail, and the surfaces look great for being buried so long.

I found two large cents last year - 1816 and 1817 and they weren't even close to this condition. Congrats!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice.... and an overdate as well.... cool. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW! I wouldn't be able to sleep for a week after a find like that-- awesome!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    Excellent find!..I'd comb that site slow and steady.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Awesome find. My hands would still be shaking. How deep was it down?
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Awesome find. My hands would still be shaking. How deep was it down? >>

Nearly on the surface....I've been working a site where they are removing an old street and replacing it with grass, area probably hasn't been exposed to hunting for quite some time. Just got back tonight from finding a small sterling silver ring and an 1854 half penny - too bad it is Canadian token type. We had a heavy rain that prevented me from working all the new exposed areas of the site today, will try to hit tomorrow or on the weekend weather and time permitting. There almost ready to re-sod it and the hunting will be done then. I've got to get time and post some of the other interesting items the site has yielded as well- including the other large cents and silver items!
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    That's a awesome find. I bet that 1819 cent has a lot of history to tell.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice job and even better pick up image
  • Options
    those are nice finds...