Home Metal Detecting
Options

Got out today at a late 19th century kiln site...

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
I found a buckle, a whats-it and a bottle. The bottle is in really good shape-- what looks like stains on it are actually air bubbles from when the bottle was made. The Hanley company was around between 1905 and 1910. The bottle is a whiskey bottle, found at the foot of a redwood tree near the kiln.

It's a good site, if anyone is in the Santa Clara/Santa Cruz area and is curious I can take you there!
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bottle is in great shape... check a couple of bottle collector sites.. that one may be worth some $$$ Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I got a reply from Bruce Silva at Western Whiskeyana concerning the bottle:

Hanley Mercantile was one of a number of very successful wholesale liquor dealers doing business out of San Francisco after the city was rebuilt, subsequent to the great Earthquake and fire of 1906. The bottle that you found is generally referred to as a "tanker"; more properly called a full quart rectangle. This example is #357 in Western Whiskey Bottles 4th edition, and dates ca. 1906 - 1918. It was originally fitted with a Riley patent hard rubber (actually ebonite) inside screw stopper which was embossed with Hanley's name. I've got one in my collection with the original label for Hanley Rye. Rye was a very popular style of whiskey during that period. As far as value goes, they both book and sell for $10 ~ - $20~, if damage and stain free and if fitted with the correct stopper.

A nice find! Congrats!

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    That bottle is in superb condition. Almost like it was never in the ground at all. Excellent find!
  • Options
    Very nice bottlyimage
  • Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    you have some very old finds there! your big iron piece is an ox shoe, it could date to around the 1850's.
  • Options

<< <i>you have some very old finds there! your big iron piece is an ox shoe, it could date to around the 1850's. >>

An ox shoe! I never would have guessed. Thanks for the info! I was telling my roomie on here that you knew more about relics in this area than any man alive, Demodigger. image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice bottle. thats a wonderful pick up
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    that bottle is really nice!
  • Options
    The metal buckle looks like a clip for bib overalls, except there appears to be a metal bar where it would slip over the button on the overalls. You can still buy them at walmarts to this day. At least in the south you can.
    FlynJack