Home Precious Metals
Options

new $100 bill and being stored until 02/2011

57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
the standard reasoning is redesigning the last note (other than the $1) to reduce counterfeiting.

but why wait until next February to release?

is the "storage" of these in case of a massive run on the banks for cash?

even though Geithner says the "old" ones will still be honored, that could be changed as well?

some of it just seems fishy.

Comments

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    JimDepotJimDepot Posts: 957 ✭✭
    Linky?

• Options
    ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a link to the new $100. Not sure why they would be storing the bills until next February?
    There a lot of gold on the new bills though???

$100 Bill (Front)

$100 Bill (Back)
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    Tim Geithner's signature ought to lend some credibility to it.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tim Geithner's signature ought to lend some credibility to it. >>

Turbotax Tim?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there expecting something later this year. maybe thats why the wait
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously ugly bills. They are looking more and more like third-world devalued currency.

When ever I get one I will write "tax cheat" above Timmy's sig.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    What ever is coming, can't be good. I suspect that the Government may require
    folks to turn in their old 100 dollar bills for new. This will flush out illegal funds
    before the old notes are made null and void.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>What ever is coming, can't be good. I suspect that the Government may require
    folks to turn in their old 100 dollar bills for new. This will flush out illegal funds
    before the old notes are made null and void. >>

Good thought Old Bear...
    The drug cartel probably would not suffer as they sleep with Washington anyway and would find a way around it

Memorial Day...
    Thank you who have served and have sacrificed for our country. All gave some, some gave all.

I watched the flag pass by one day,
    It fluttered in the breeze;
    A young Marine saluted it,
    And then he stood at ease.

I looked at him in uniform,
    So young, so tall, so proud;
    With hair cut square and eyes alert,
    He'd stand out in any crowd.

I thought... how many men like him
    Had fallen through the years?
    How many died on foreign soil?
    How many mothers' tears?

How many pilots' planes shot down
    How many died at sea
    How many foxholes were soldiers' graves
    No, Freedom is not Free.

I heard the sound of Taps one night,
    When everything was still;
    I listened to the bugler play,
    And felt a sudden chill;

I wondered just how many times
    That Taps had meant "Amen"
    When a flag had draped a coffin
    Of a brother or a friend;

I thought of all the children,
    Of the mothers and the wives,
    Of fathers, sons and husbands.
    With interrupted lives.

I thought about a graveyard
    At the bottom of the sea,
    Of unmarked graves in Arlington.
    No. Freedom is not Free!
    UCSB Electrical Engineering....... USCG and NASA
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I recall, every other major redesign has been announced at least six months before the bills are actually released.
    Get the knots out of your undies, ladies! There is no conspiracy here!
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As I recall, every other major redesign has been announced at least six months before the bills are actually released.
    Get the knots out of your undies, ladies! There is no conspiracy here!
    TD >>

I agree with you. Wait.....is that a black helicopter I see in the sky?
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it interesting that the US Government has to deal with so much more counterfeiting outside the country because that's where most of the $100 bills are going. Inside the States, most counterfeiting rings get busted and never reach the levels of sophistication that can be achieved in places like N.Korea, China, Russia, Eastern Europe. I wouldn't be too surprised to start hearing about places like Iran or Turkey getting into the business at some point.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Looking more and more like Monopoly Money which it really is.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I find it interesting that the US Government has to deal with so much more counterfeiting outside the country because that's where most of the $100 bills are going. Inside the States, most counterfeiting rings get busted and never reach the levels of sophistication that can be achieved in places like N.Korea, China, Russia, Eastern Europe. I wouldn't be too surprised to start hearing about places like Iran or Turkey getting into the business at some point. >>

it's easier to tote a suitcase full of $100's than two of $50's...?
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    US might be setting up logistics to require exchange of all existing $100 bills on 02/2011. May be plans to flush all exisiting bills out of the system at one time.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    12 years ago when the first redesign in decades came out, I can only imagine the theories that were alive on this board. Bills are redesigned continuously now, I don't think this redesign is anything new.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>Backed by one gram of gold? >>

This coupled with the mandatory exchange of all old notes might be the only thing that could save the nation. Otherwise, its just a newer version of the same "monopoly money".

Edited to add: With 8,000 tons of gold controlled by the government, they would be able to legally produce just over 7 billion of these notes. Of course, that would make gold worth about $3,100 per oz.....not really that hard to fathom.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>US might be setting up logistics to require exchange of all existing $100 bills on 02/2011. May be plans to flush all exisiting bills out of the system at one time. >>

Now, now.....take your meds and lie down until the feeling passes.........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>US might be setting up logistics to require exchange of all existing $100 bills on 02/2011. May be plans to flush all exisiting bills out of the system at one time. >>

Now, now.....take your meds and lie down until the feeling passes......... >>

Do I have to wash them down with the koolaid?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    KUCHKUCH Posts: 1,186

<< <i>Tim Geithner's signature ought to lend some credibility to it. >>

• Options

<< <i>the standard reasoning is redesigning the last note (other than the $1) to reduce counterfeiting.

but why wait until next February to release?

is the "storage" of these in case of a massive run on the banks for cash?

even though Geithner says the "old" ones will still be honored, that could be changed as well?

some of it just seems fishy. >>

Do you think Timothy loves the banksters? Another clueless policy. Who is on the congressional finance committee that we could ask?
  • Options

GREECE IS COMING TO A SHORE NEAR YOU.

Time to unload the stack of $100's buried in the garden?