Home Metal Detecting
Options

Is this a musket ball?

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
Demodigger's recent find has me wondering about a find I made a couple of years ago...

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Size and shape are right.... is it lead? Did it have a 'white' oxidation coating when you found it? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    every musket ball i've ever seen and dug was whitish-brown. usually they are hand formed and slightly lumpy. a pistol ball would look more like what you have. the area you found it at would tell the identity.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does seem to be lead-- I think it looked pretty much like it does now when I pulled it out of the ground *somewhere* in Northern California. There's a lesson in this-- tag your whatsits with a location! Like Demodigger mentioned, if I knew where I took it from I'd have a better chance narrowing down what it is. The item also retains it's historical context as well. As an Anthropology major you'd think I'd remember that.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.