Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coinstar hounds: End of an era?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
Posted on my favorite Coinstar machine. Appears to be the same idea as coinstar, except owned by the store instead of by CoinStar. Anyone have experience with CoinMax machines? Will they still offer free fistfuls of foreign and obsolete coins for the taking? I fear the worst image

http://www.coinmax.com/default.htm
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sign says it's a currency and coin dispenser, isn't that the opposite of what a coinstar machine does?
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it has a reject slot. But there are some newer CoinStar machines that keep all rejected coins - which is a complete rip off.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That sign says it's a currency and coin dispenser, isn't that the opposite of what a coinstar machine does? >>

Yeah, I saw that word "dispenser" and said "HUH?!?!?"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I think there will be Intellectual Property issues to deal with for the new guy.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, even if the new Coinstar machines keep the rejects... it makes no difference here... the store workers check the reject slot every time they pass by.... I never find a coin there... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I never had any Coinstar finds either. I can't imagine how people can leave the rejected coins in there considering the whole time it is counting your coins it says "Check reject slot for rejected coins" or whatever - and it continues to display this until it is done counting your coins. Maybe the machine I have at my work is more modernized or something..image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My bank has a self-service coin counting machine. I've only found an aluminum Austrian 10 groschen in the reject pan, and that's after having it count my change.
  • Options
    I found a 1940 Merc a couple of weeks ago, it was posted here. I find stuff every once in awhile in the reject slots.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    All I ever found was a metal button and a Chuckie Cheese token.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image

Looks like it has a reject slot. But there are some newer CoinStar machines that keep all rejected coins - which is a complete rip off. >>

I'm surprised that it's legal to do that.
  • Options
    The idea of a machine that counts coins and gives a ticket to the user is not copyrighted or patented. It is the mechanism used to do it that is patented. As long as they didn't copy the mechanism from the Coinstar machine there is no patent infringement.
  • Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    I can't speak about the new machines, but I can tell you that it has been a while since I found anything in a Coinstar machine.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options
    I sometimes go weeks without a find, but then hit the jackpot occasionally - early date wheats, the Merc, lots of foreign coins. Over the past few years I have got 3-4 silver dimes from the machines.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's needed is a Gradestar machine.

• Options

<< <i>What's needed is a Gradestar machine.

image >>

With lasers. there is no reason a machine can't grade coins. image
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are my coinstar foreign and exonumi finds from the last several years, combined with all the US modern and obsolete from 03-09 to now (mid-march of last year I cashed in my modern US coinstar finds and bought a WLH with the money).

I count coins from 8 or 9 countries, a dozen tokens, six wheats (including a '43), and a few dozen modern US coins valued at about a buck.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file