Home U.S. Coin Forum

Think this trade dollar will make the grade?

Seemed like a good price. Think the 55 will hold up?
EBAY

Comments

• coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    It has the appearance of a coin that has been cleaned and re-toned. So, my guess is no.
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It has the appearance of a coin that has been cleaned and re-toned. So, my guess is no. >>

Well, the seller does indicate that it has 'strong hairlines.'
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    While I wouldn't bet against retoning although it could be original too, I would say it would cross if not dull. For the 55 to hold up it would have to have lots of luster to be that dark. The pictures are not the best for grading even for those of us who make it a point to grade trade $s off of bad pictures. All and all it looks like a nice type coin.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That reminds me of a 20c piece I bought a while back, ANACS MS60. I was really unsure about the toning but I stupidly shot first and asked questions later. Here are the dealer pix.

imageimage

I sent it to PCGS, cross at any grade, and it came back "genuine" for questionable color. I cracked it and did a 5 second acetone dip. Acetone, mind you, not a cleaning dip. This was the result.

imageimage

What you see is a stained 20c piece that some doctor toned artificially with something organic, to cover up the stains. Acetone doesn't remove natural toning. It was an expensive lesson.

I still have the coin, tucked away in a flip. And every time I get the instinct to jump at something with toning that just doesn't feel right, I take out this 20c piece and look at it a while.

I'd avoid that T$.
    Lance.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lkeigwin, The Before-n-After on the Double Dime is intense! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Seemed like a good price. Think the 55 will hold up?
    EBAY >>

I don't think it will grade AU-55 at PCGS or NGC but I could be wrong.
  • pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    Just curious Lance, and probably a stupid question: Did you like the twenty cent piece better before, or after, its acetone bath?

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a dumb question, Gayla. I like that the AT is gone, but I am disappointed by what is underneath. The stains are permanent, I'm afraid.
    Lance.
  • SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you think it would grade now that it has had a bath? The questionable color is gone, but do you think it would BB for "altered surfaces" or some other reason?
    Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Where are the stains you refer to?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the coin 'after' the acetone .... not for grade, or the harsh metallic look (could be the picture), but for the detail. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file