Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do PCGS's Moves - the Big One and the Bigger One - give them a market advantage

OK - so it is easy to imitate a "Plus" designation. But what of the other develppments? The detailed imaging of the Secure service? The newly advertised 'Sniffer' for doctored coins?

I feel that this should give PCGS a decided advantage in the high end segment of the coin market. I can envision some collectors only buying Secure Plus Sniffered Coins. Or at least paying a premium for them. Not only for the grade and traditional authentication, but also for the new value added detection as well.

I also imagine that this technology may be difficult to imitate quickly, giving our hosts an edge in the market for some time to come.

Thoughts?

merse

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In all honesty.... I prefer my modern gold in NGC holders. Everything else in PCGS holders. Don't like the way gold eagles appear to "turn" in PCGS holders. ICG holders appear to have similar problem. Would like to see PCGS tackle this problem when they aren't busy with more serious problems.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the pace of today's technology, and the availability of equipment, the edge will not last long. Application software is the biggest barrier and with the talent that is readily available in the market place, even this is not a major leap. Cheers, RickO
  • GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    There is a significant difference between the confidence buyers will get when buying a newly certified PCGS coin, and the confidence submitters will have when sending their coins to PCGS. While I believe all the new moves by PCGS will increase buyer confidence in PCGS coins, I believe it will reduce the number of coins being submitted to PCGS, and increase submissions to NGC.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>At the pace of today's technology, and the availability of equipment, the edge will not last long. Application software is the biggest barrier and with the talent that is readily available in the market place, even this is not a major leap. Cheers, RickO >>

However, as this technology gets patented, it may become much more difficult to use/redevelop it without license. For something like the plus designation, plenty of dealers have used that, so it's not novel, just new to TPGs. The scanning software and design of the machine, though, may contain some proprietary technology that NGC can't just take.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now, who is PCGS's competition?
    It certainly isn't ANACS or ICG.

And, sadly, I see NGC loosing vanity points with recent developments.

peacockcoins

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I predict PCGS will lose business. The coin doctors will take their business elsewhere.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

<< <i>I predict PCGS will lose business. The coin doctors will take their business elsewhere. >>

Think of this: PCGS grades tens of thousands of coins per month. Out of those how many are submitted by these doctors?
    The goodwill PCGS is generating will more than make up for these few lost submissions and probably they'll garner additional submissions by those collectors and dealers who are now more comfortable dealing with PCGS.

peacockcoins

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I predict PCGS will lose business. The coin doctors will take their business elsewhere. >>

Not the kind of business they are after anyway.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Not the kind of business they are after anyway. >>

Hey, guys. It was a JOKE!!!!!!image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Hey, guys. It was a JOKE!!!!!!image >>

::Whoops:: And I'm usually pretty good as sussing out forum sarcasm. . .

peacockcoins

• GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

If PCGS becomes too tight they'll lose the type of business they do want.
  • AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭
    abitofthisabitofthat <<OK - so it is easy to imitate a "Plus" designation. But what of the other develppments? The detailed imaging of the Secure service? The newly advertised 'Sniffer' for doctored coins?

abitofthisabitofthat continues <<I feel that this should give PCGS a decided advantage in the high end segment of the coin market. I can envision some collectors only buying Secure Plus Sniffered Coins. Or at least paying a premium for them. Not only for the grade and traditional authentication, but also for the new value added detection as well.>>

In the second installment of my weekly column, I put forth an idea as to how the NGC can employ technology that they already have to compete with the PCGS SecurePlus program. Please find a link below.

I admit, though, that I have not addressed the deeper issues that are raised here. Before drawing conclusions, I choose to give the NGC time to develop new programs and implement new policies. My sources tell me that the NGC will be making important announcements later in 2010.

My suggestion is that the NGC join with the PCGS in order to file additional lawsuits against alleged coin doctors, or act separately. In my analysis of this PCGS lawsuit, I discuss, with considerable input from John Albanese, the number of coin doctors and the extent of the problem. I believe that the coin doctoring problem can be contained. Please read my analysis and see if you agree. Thanks.

My Analysis of the PCGS Lawsuit Against Alleged Coin Doctors

My suggestion as to how NGC can use technology that the NGC recently employed to discourage coin doctoring
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file