Home U.S. Coin Forum

IN WHO WE TRUST .......

..........isn't there something that's on virtually every U.S. coin you own , that is so powerful and prolific that by American law

a coin can not be minted without it ?

This Memorial Day we will remember all those who suffered or died to preserve our Liberty.........

Liberty , that's stamped on virtually every U.S. coin as well ; so important and so treasured

let us not loose sight of what Freedom means and who our coins remind us we trust

Comments

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone was in an uproar when a few president dollar coins were mistakenly released without "In God We Trust" on them.
    Even when it was properly imprinted on the edge, there were people who still boycotted the coins because the motto wasn't
    visible enough. What, are they in danger of slipping over to the dark side if they don't see their motto every time they
    spend a dollar for a cup of coffee or something ? How weak is your so-called "faith" if you insist that it must be printed everywhere ?

So why isn't everyone even more concerned that none of the new president dollars say "Liberty" on them ?
    Another sign that our liberty is slipping away, and nobody seems to care. If "In God We Trust" were taken off all money,
    those that have true faith would still have it. But if Liberty goes away, we are all S.O.L.

Back in the late 1950s there was a campaign started by a citizen to get "In God We Trust" put on all paper money.
    What we really need is to have "Liberty" permanently added to all coins and paper money.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liberty has been displayed allegorically and in words since the first coin was struck by the US Mint. It has been a great motif for over 200 years.

I don't need a coin to remind me to have faith; my way of life is all I need.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    How about this?:

"For duty and humanity!"
    ~ The Three Stooges

"Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard!"

"Paging Dr. Benway!" "Mr. Lee, please return the scalpel!"
  • RobbRobb Posts: 2,034

Add me to the list that say yes to Liberty and no to God appearing on our coin and currency.
    imageRIP
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>..........isn't there something that's on virtually every U.S. coin you own , that is so powerful and prolific that by American law

This Memorial Day we will remember all those who suffered or died to preserve our Liberty.........

Liberty , that's stamped on virtually every U.S. coin as well ; so important and so treasured

let us not loose sight of what Freedom means and who our coins remind us we trust >>

well said.
  • Where's the dead horse being beat emotion icon....
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't need a coin to remind me to have faith; my way of life is all I need. >>

Hear, hear!
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Everyone was in an uproar when a few president dollar coins were mistakenly released without "In God We Trust" on them.
    Even when it was properly imprinted on the edge, there were people who still boycotted the coins because the motto wasn't
    visible enough. What, are they in danger of slipping over to the dark side if they don't see their motto every time they
    spend a dollar for a cup of coffee or something ? How weak is your so-called "faith" if you insist that it must be printed everywhere ?

So why isn't everyone even more concerned that none of the new president dollars say "Liberty" on them ?
    Another sign that our liberty is slipping away, and nobody seems to care. If "In God We Trust" were taken off all money,
    those that have true faith would still have it. But if Liberty goes away, we are all S.O.L.

Back in the late 1950s there was a campaign started by a citizen to get "In God We Trust" put on all paper money.
    What we really need is to have "Liberty" permanently added to all coins and paper money. >>

That's a great idea Daniel!

How do we proceed?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What else is left, God I guess. Certainly don't trust my Government.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

Add me to the list that say yes to Liberty and no to God appearing on our coin and currency. >>

image Ramen brother!

JH
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    I have always found it interesting that Teddy Roosevelt wanted IGWT removed from coinage because of his religious beliefs and thought it was "in effect irreverence which comes dangerously close to sacrilege."
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bring back "To Be Esteemed, Be Useful" and "Mind Your Business". Many in our entitlement society have "Trusted" too much in others, whether Entity or Big Government, becoming weak and dependent in the process. Our Founding Fathers would be fascinated to see how far "E Pluribus Unum" has come, and how far from "Liberty" we're falling.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• It would be interesting to see how this turns out. Our forefather's believed in a lot of things, change was one the important ones. I would see a lot of political unrest over this issue, but people would have to remember, faith is something that is practiced everyday, not just what we put on currency. I would miss the errors though...

--------------------------------
    Life should never be boring
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “When a religion is good, I conceive it will support itself;

and when it does not support itself so that its professors

are obliged to call for the help of the civil power,

'tis a sign, I apprehend, of its being a bad one.”

- Benjamin Franklin
  • DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. >>

Susan B. Anthony
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And so the debate rages on.... For my part, I would like to see Liberty on all the currency... as a statement of who we are as a country. Any religious reference is, in my opinion, unnecessary, out of place, and not relevant. Cheers, RickO
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the presidential dollars, wasn't the Statue of Liberty on the reverse intended to substitute for the word "Liberty"?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    Give me liberty .......or give me death
  • Oh. I don't know... Maybe with how the world is going to hell in a hand basket, we could use a little moreimage
    Ilikacoinsawholebuncha
    it certainly could not hurt.....

• FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>..........isn't there something that's on virtually every U.S. coin you own , that is so powerful and prolific that by American law

let us not loose sight of what Freedom means and who our coins remind us we trust >>

In God We Trust became our national motto on July 30, 1956 under President Dwight D. Eisenhower and after instigation by the Knights of Columbus,
    a clut of the Roman Catholic church. And what about those who gave their lives for this country who did not believe in your version of "God."?
    Are they simply to be forgotten?
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Give me liberty .......or give me death >>

There would be mass deaths if that was adhered to. Suprising that most of them can even spell it much less underdstand what it is, or in this case, was.
    Any person that gave their life for us should never ever be forgotten .

We are one nation under God , whomever or whatever that God might be .
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Good, bad or indifferent, the religious motto on coins and currency is what it is. It is not going to go away.

140 years ago, Director Linderman wanted to eliminate “E Pluribus Unum” as being duplicative of the same idea as “United States of America.”

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file