Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NCS vs PCGS

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was wondering if NCS wil be affected by this new initiative by PCGS, anyone have any thoughts? I realize they "conserve" coins and that they do not Alter them, but what will the perception be going forward?

Also will people now just not buy coins with "fixable" problems?

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was wondering if NCS wil be affected by this new initiative by PCGS, anyone have any thoughts? I realize they "conserve" coins and that they do not Alter them, but what will the perception be going forward?

Also will people now just not buy coins with "fixable" problems? >>

You answered your own question.

peacockcoins

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Interesting perspective.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people do not collect coins for resale... they collect them as a hobby. Therefore, likely NCS will still have business. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I doubt it at all. NCS does a wondeful job removing contaminents without altering the coin, as PCGS does on occassion removing PVC for example.

Why have all the koolaid drinkers decided this lawsuit against the coin doctors is a great time to bash NGC? Personally I don't have a preference in grading services, so it amazes me that people take this approach.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>...Why have all the koolaid drinkers decided this lawsuit against the coin doctors is a great time to bash NGC? Personally I don't have a preference in grading services, so it amazes me that people take this approach. >>

Sorry, but that sounds like quite an exaggeration to me.image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NCS does a service and makes note of it. Coin doctors do a disservice and do not.
  • Options
    ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>NCS does a service and makes note of it. Coin doctors do a disservice and do not. >>

Nicely said
    Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    There is no problem with altering a coin. There is a big problem with altering a coin and selling it as problem free. In the case of NCS sending coins back to NGC to slab as problem free is wrong in mho. Wouldn't you want to know if carbon spots have been removed or color changed? If we do it, it is called doctoring, If they do it, it is called conserving. I find the relationship of NCS to NGC to be unacceptable, and therefore do not buy coins in those respective holders.
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    I just had a coin come back from Ncs courtesy of the Fun free offer. They took a coin with unattractive toning a removed it. While now it is blast white is is still has a better appearance with the same grade.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    I was thinking of this when I was reading the definition of doctoring in the court papers.

Best,
    Eric

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file