Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Which Ted Williams?

Hey guys, I am thinking of buying a graded PSA Ted Williams. I have been looking at the 1939 Play Ball because it is his RC. I always favor buying a RC if I am going to spend decent cash on a card. I have been scanning Ebay just to see what they go for and what other years are popular. It is looking like I can get a PSA 7 RC for around $3000. That is about where I want to spend, I would love a 8, but I just do not want to go to the $5000-$6000 range. I also am kind of picky so I do not want a PSA 5 or 6 in any other year. Just looking for some input.

Comments

• Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    His rookie is a card that will always be popular and in demand, followed closely by '41 playball and '54 Bowman IMO. Good Luck!
  • Options
    Can't tell you too much about Williams cards, but since the '41 Play Ball card was mentioned, I will tell you that having tracked the eBay sales of that card for the past year or so (I did miss a few months during the winter season), the card sells for about $1,500-$2,000 in PSA 7. This PSA 7 card went for a little over $1,000, but the reserve wasn't met. It also sold I've never seen the card actually sell in PSA 8, but it has consistenly been listed with BINs in the upper $4,000s, and does not sell. Perhaps it can be had for around $4,000, give or take $500.

I love this card for it's first line on the back. "Ted Williams proved last year that he was no flash-in-the-pan...". Talk about an understatement! He would hit .406 that very year and go on to become one of only two players who can arguably be considered the best left-handed hitter in history.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    If you want something extremely common and everyone else has, go with the 1939, 1940, or 1941 Play Ball.

But if you want something that is also his Rookie and is 100+X times scarcer, go for the 1939 Goudey R303-A Ted Williams.

It is more attractive (especially graded) IMO.

Its pictured with the Other Williams cards at this link (R303-A is the 3rd card)
    Ted Williams Cards

PS on the Exhibits, the "#9 showing" pose was made from 1939-1941, and the very common "#9 not showing" pose was REALLY made from 1946-1960
  • Options
    I like the relative rarity of the 1954 Bowman, my guess is having a story behind it will help it hold value at least as much as a rookie card
    Tom
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget the Wilson Franks Williams card...that is my personal fave, and I just don't see that one going down in value. If you can't afford that one, the Red Man card is always nice, a little cheaper, and holds a good value as well....
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    If you're considering spending up to $3000, I would buy one of his classic Topps cards from '54 or '55. Colorful, oversized, issued during the best decade in Baseball, the 1950's. Just my opinion.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey guys, I am thinking of buying a graded PSA Ted Williams. I have been looking at the 1939 Play Ball because it is his RC. I always favor buying a RC if I am going to spend decent cash on a card. I have been scanning Ebay just to see what they go for and what other years are popular. It is looking like I can get a PSA 7 RC for around $3000. That is about where I want to spend, I would love a 8, but I just do not want to go to the $5000-$6000 range. I also am kind of picky so I do not want a PSA 5 or 6 in any other year. Just looking for some input. >>

His rookie would probably be the best option. Thats usually with any huge star player except for the 52 mantle being an exception. I would try and get a graded 7. always buy for the card and not the slab imo. sometimes you can find good deals. there was one nice 39 williams SGC 7 that sold for $1900 on ebay a few months ago.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    If cost/value are not your first priority, my favorite Williams is the 1959 Fleer #17, with a beautiful portrait of the young Ted Williams.

Capecards
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you want something extremely common and everyone else has, go with the 1939, 1940, or 1941 Play Ball.

But if you want something that is also his Rookie and is 100+X times scarcer, go for the 1939 Goudey R303-A Ted Williams.

It is more attractive (especially graded) IMO.

Its pictured with the Other Williams cards at this link (R303-A is the 3rd card)
    Ted Williams Cards

PS on the Exhibits, the "#9 showing" pose was made from 1939-1941, and the very common "#9 not showing" pose was REALLY made from 1946-1960 >>

Yeah, stay away from those "common" 39, 40, and 41 Playballs because everyone has them. I think I have a few extras that I was going to give to the kids to play around with but if you need one let me know and I can send it off to you.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    I'm kinda partial to this one from my personal collection.
  • Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    I'd go 1954 Bowman . . .

It's a beautiful card -- it's relatively rare -- and has a unique story behind it.

Scott
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info guys and I will probably go for the RC in the near future.