Home Metal Detecting
Options

Eyeball find

While crossing a recently planted corn field to get to a favorite fishing spot on the river, I walked past an odd shaped
rock. I got about five steps by it and just had to turn around and take a closer look. Glad I did! Looks to be a
primitive stone tool.

Comments

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty cool looking. Any idea of its age?
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Have no idea of age. Would like to find out.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super find. If you live near a college, the Archeaology department could likely help. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    interesting find. like ricko said check and see if the archeology dept can help you out. good luck and keep us posted image
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were to find something like that on the way to my favorite fishing spot I think that fishing would have to wait until I was through looking in that field.image

You did wellimage
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually that was the first attempt at designing the wheel. Almost had it right! image

I think that perhaps a leather strap would go into the groove with a wooden handle and
    it becomes a club. Weapons are cool for sure. Think maybe?

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    half of a mortar and pestle.

nice find!
  • Options
    Looks to me to be a net weight. So they were there for the same reason you were. Ground stone is nearly impossible to date. The range is considered to be around 2500 to 200 ybp. Taking it to the local university archaeology department would give you more information, as I do not know much about Minnesota's prehistory. However, please refrain from doing any invasive testing of the area. Removing artifacts from a site without a research plan, diminishes the overall value of the site. It is also illegal in most states to knowingly disturb an Archaeological site.
    Think before you dig.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with archydigger on this-- at very least, note *exactly* where you found it so you can reference it later.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    Interesting and curious looking find
  • Options
    goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Very interesting find. Wondering what could it be...
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/