Home Metal Detecting
Options

Found one!!

For those who look down.

I was on a dirt road, not far from home, driving my motorcycle. A large truck was coming down the road, which was only one lane. Inasmuch as the truck had more momentum than me, I wisely pulled off the side of this road, allowing the truck to pass. When it did, a giant cloud of dust kicked up and enveloped me. So I closed my eyes, looked down and held my breath until I thought the cloud had passed. When I opened my eyes, I spotted a rock, half buried on the side of the road. The setting sun was hitting it at a low angle and the top surface of the rock had small, shallow depressions in it. I got off the bike and pried the rock out of the dirt. It was about the size of a hand, heavy for its size. I noticed a thin crust on the rock, and it was black where the crust had chipped off. I opened my glove compartment and extracted my neodynium magnet that I always carry for this moment (I know, I'm a big science head). The magnet stuck to the rock!! I had found a meteorite!! My first! I was 90% certain. Dense, solid, no crystals, no layering, fusion crust, regmaglyphs(those tell-tale thumbprints) & magnetic. Brought it home and washed it off, checked it again and visited some websites (one had pictures of meteorites and meteorwrongs). Have an astronomer coming over next week for verification. I passed my metal detector over it and it detected metal. I switched the detector to "coin" mode and it detected it as a nickel. This is significant, because the US 5-cent piece contains the element nickel, but not enough to make it magnetic. Meteorites are rich in iron and nickel. So now I am 95% sure.
Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards

Comments

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PHOTOS!image
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭

<< <i>PHOTOS! >>

Yes please! The more the merrier! Nice find!!! Where did you find it? I am guessing NY from your profile... I have 2 (I think) that I found myself and a couple of others from eBay that I am pretty sure are frauds but still interesting.

Thanks for sharing!

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations... very cool find... Cheers, RickO