Home Precious Metals
Options

Need silver advice

I prefer gold, but am looking to add some silver too.

I was looking at gainsevillecoins.com at the 2010 Silver Eagles in the twenty tubes certified by NGC unopened.

Question..........I hear that silver is less abundant then gold. However, if you check ebay you see that silver is all over God's creation.
I'm confused.

Question......... I already bought some 1-5-10 oz bars from apmex, and am looking at silver dollars now. I think the NGC sealed 20
count rolls are for me. Can someone please convince me why I shouldn't go in that direction. TIA

Comments

• Options
    Not going to try and convince you that you shouldn't... I think it's a good idea to diversify between bars and coins.

The only thing I questions is why NGC graded rolls? Why not just sealed green monster box rolls? I'm not sure what the premium would be for NGC graded, but I can't for the life of me think of why you should do that. I'm assuming you're not going for collector value...

I've seen a couple of dealers offering rolls on the BST at good prices.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    My advice is to buy ASE's at best price. They are very popular no need to pay extreme premiums.

If you can afford a sealed green monster box. That's way I'd buy then every one knows they are unopened.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see no extra value at all in graded rolls of ASEs.
  • Options
    When you say "graded rolls", we're talking about the rolls of 20 that are certified early releases from the mint ?
    They aren't individually graded coins, or 20 seperately graded silver eagles. Right ?
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My reasons in buying silver are mainly in order to have a precious metal asset that can be finely divided at a known value and that has the potential for an impressive runup. Those are my main considerations, and that's why I prefer 90% bags or partial bags, and ASEs. I save up in order to buy a large chunk when I buy - that way, I can have a homogeneous investment that is easier on the accounting system and easier to track. I prefer a green monster box for ASEs simply because I know it is virgin material at the lowest premium. I don't know what the premium is for NGC's sealed tubes, but I don't think that I would want to pay the extra premium.

Some people like bars and other generic silver, mainly because of the tighter spreads and lower premiums. I recognize that, but I don't subscribe to the idea that it's any better deal. I feel that recognition and 100% assurance have a place in the decision process, and I place more weight on those factors.

I also suspect that the reason silver is abundant on ebay right now is because people need the money. I'm sure that there are some reasonable deals if you look. Still, buying through a known dealer has the advantage of eliminating most of the opportunities for fraud that is common on ebay. I hear all of the same things that you do about silver being scarcer than gold now. If that is indeed the case, it sure makes silver look ripe for the picking, doesn't it.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    AboutAgAboutAg Posts: 201 ✭✭

<< <i>Question..........I hear that silver is less abundant then gold. However, if you check ebay you see that silver is all over God's creation.
    I'm confused. >>

Silver is more abundant than gold (there are about 8-10 ounces of silver mined per ounce of gold). That said, there are less known stockpiles of silver in the world than gold. We have a page at http://About.Ag/knownholdings.htm that lists the known stockpiles.

Part of the discrepancy is that most (or sometimes more than) of the silver mined each year is used industrially, so it essentially disappears. Another part is that lots of gold is in the hands of countries, where it is easily visible, but countries don't stockpile silver. Silver and gold in the hands of investors typically don't show up in the 'silver is less abundant than gold' calculations.

In eBay auctions, the numbers are skewed towards what the smaller investor is selling or wants to buy (silver, simply because it is cheaper).
  • Options
    sebrownsebrown Posts: 424

<< <i>My reasons in buying silver are mainly in order to have a precious metal asset that can be finely divided at a known value and that has the potential for an impressive runup. Those are my main considerations, and that's why I prefer 90% bags or partial bags, and ASEs. I save up in order to buy a large chunk when I buy - that way, I can have a homogeneous investment that is easier on the accounting system and easier to track. I prefer a green monster box for ASEs simply because I know it is virgin material at the lowest premium. I don't know what the premium is for NGC's sealed tubes, but I don't think that I would want to pay the extra premium.

Some people like bars and other generic silver, mainly because of the tighter spreads and lower premiums. I recognize that, but I don't subscribe to the idea that it's any better deal. I feel that recognition and 100% assurance have a place in the decision process, and I place more weight on those factors.

I also suspect that the reason silver is abundant on ebay right now is because people need the money. I'm sure that there are some reasonable deals if you look. Still, buying through a known dealer has the advantage of eliminating most of the opportunities for fraud that is common on ebay. I hear all of the same things that you do about silver being scarcer than gold now. If that is indeed the case, it sure makes silver look ripe for the picking, doesn't it.image >>

I would estimate that 75% of my silver holdings are in 90% FV mainly because premiums are probably the least of the various forms of silver to purchase. Tulving was selling $1k FV bags @ spot a couple weeks ago, but is now selling them for .49 over spot.
    "In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation [...] Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights." - Alan Greenspan
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I prefer gold, but am looking to add some silver too.

I was looking at gainsevillecoins.com at the 2010 Silver Eagles in the twenty tubes certified by NGC unopened.

Question..........I hear that silver is less abundant then gold. However, if you check ebay you see that silver is all over God's creation.
    I'm confused.

Question......... I already bought some 1-5-10 oz bars from apmex, and am looking at silver dollars now. I think the NGC sealed 20
    count rolls are for me. Can someone please convince me why I shouldn't go in that direction. TIA >>

As has been the case throughout history the vast bulk of Gold is sitting in some remote and secret Government vault. Silver is what people usually use for commerce, so on eBay, etc. you would
    expect to see more silver.
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Let me ask this. What dealers in your area will pay any premium for NGC sealed rolls?
    In my area there are none. It is strictly a counting exercise and so much over spot.
    So why pay any premium for that service.
    Just buy them by the tube at the lowest price and DON'T play with the coins.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think these PCGS or NGC tubes are very sexy:

But when you pay "as little as $3.99 per coin" I think it's an unwise silver play.

Eagles already carry about the highest premium per ounce as any other option in silver. Sealed rolls would triple that.

The benefits of eagles over other silver options are things like recognition, certainty, liquidity. So from a purely silver investment point of view, eagles don't need to be certified. That's the reason you bought eagles instead of other silver in the first place. If you're a collector, then knock yourself out.

If you're trying to diversify against .999 bars, then a much simpler and considerably less expensive option is just plain old 90%.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad idea....just try to sell one of those NGC rolls...
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just BUY any type of silver, preferably the one with the lowest bar/coin charge.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>just BUY any type of silver, preferably the one with the lowest bar/coin charge. >>

Agree. That's my strategy---buy whatever is the best deal and lowest premium over melt. Nothing wrong with a little variety to make it all interesting.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Thanks for your input.

I guess I'll just pick up a few ASE's, and not go with the certified stuff.

How much over spot does one usually spend on loose ASE's ?