Home U.S. Coin Forum

AU-55 vs. AU-58.........

relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
Prethen's two cent piece brings up a good point. Is the difference strictly a wear issue? Or can an AU55 have the exact same wear as an AU58 but with a few more hits? My guess is it boils down to technical grading vs. market grading.
Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Comments

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hit wise and mark wise I think both could be the same. Its a question of luster when looking at the coin IMO. This is old school and now I have no idea when it comes to TPG's.

Ken
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think luster and overall eye appeal is also a big factor between 55 and 58.
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    A true 58 looks very much like a 64 ,with full luster and only a slight
    degree of rub. A 55 has much less luster and more rub on high
    and midpoints.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    IMO the 58 coin should be a coin that could pass for an MS coin, with some light rub (there should be some rub). AU55 could have some to full luster, but shows obvious signs of some minor wear.

AU58 (have no clue as to why this one isn't MS)
    AU55
    AU55 (more wear and color than the other 55)

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are a lot of ways a coin can be a 58, or a 55, or a 60 or a 63, a combination of nonperfection boiled down to an interger grade. no it's not just wear or marks or originality or lack therof or arm's length eye appeal, but a combo package deal.

kind of like there are a lot of ways a girl can rate an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10, and everybody's got an opinion as to the categories for rating and how much to rate each one.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• mumumumu Posts: 1,840
    I was wondering this the other day before the existence of this thread. If an MS 63 coin and an MS 67 coin both got wear on them they could both end up as AU58s but be miles apart. This came to mind to me while looking at an AU58 peace dollar that looked impecable other than a couple touches of rub here and there.
  • JJMJJM Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think luster needs to be easily apparent to the naked eye to
    take it from a 55 to 58
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The criterion for an AU-58 is that you really have to look to find the wear. At least in my eyes, the wear is fairly obvious on an AU-55, although there is not much of it.

Coins in the AU-58 grade have been called "sliders" in the past. They kind of have a tendency to slide between Choice AU and Unc. when people are grading them.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A true AU58 is like an Unc with roll rub or some other imperfection keeping it from MS

AU 55 has wear not much but from circulation not roll rub or cabinet friction.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    Here's an example of one of my PCGS AU-58 coins. The coin does not have glowing, bright luster. It is a deeper orange gold color with less luster on the devices. It does, however, have very few marks; the main reason I like it. Apparently, as others have said, AU-58 can be achieved in different ways.
    I wasn't too concerned about the assigned grade, but rather, the overall "look" of the coin.
    Please excuse the "luster flattening" scan.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An AU55 will have MORE of the following then an AU58 = rub, marks, hairlines.
    An AU55 will have LESS of the following then an AU58 = luster.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I've seen 55s with less rub than some 58s. The 58s tended to have fewer marks and better eye appeal, though. That tells me that "market grading" is not limited to MS coins.

• << <i>Prethen's two cent piece brings up a good point. Is the difference strictly a wear issue? >>

Let me put it this way, it should be.

<< <i>Or can an AU55 have the exact same wear as an AU58 but with a few more hits? >>

No.

<< <i>My guess is it boils down to technical grading vs. market grading. >>

That's not a bad guess. But let's not confuse apples and oranges. You start with the technical grade, and that's all about the level of circulation wear. Then, you evaluate the coin from a marketplace standpoint, and that's all about how pretty or ugly the coin looks. And there's nothing more intellectual to it than that...

Oh, and if the coin has strong "pedigree" (i.e., you know, the kind of chain-of-custody a status-seeking fool in the marketplace would pay extra money for) then you ignore that circulation wear as mere "cabinet friction" and you kick that circulated grade up to a mint state for it...
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    "AU-58" is the real About Uncirculated...a trace of wear/slight luster break.

The others, "AU-55" and "AU-53" are excuses for Extremely Fine condition coins. In my opinion, buying anything called "AU-55" is self deception unless you are paying an honest EF price.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"AU-58" is the real About Uncirculated...a trace of wear/slight luster break.

The others, "AU-55" and "AU-53" are excuses for Extremely Fine condition coins. In my opinion, buying anything called "AU-55" is self deception unless you are paying an honest EF price. >>

Good luck finding an PCGS/NGC AU55 at an EF price.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Good luck finding an PCGS/NGC AU55 at an EF price.

That's true most of the time - called "grade inflation" ??

This is analogous to collectors feeling the must fill every album hole. In this instance, the fallacy of “numeric” grading creates a hole between 45 and 60 that hobbyists and profiteers insist on filling. It does not matter that in real grading there was no hole between EF and AU – one has now been artificially created and the hobby will have to absorb the added cost until it eats itself tail first.
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my experience, different grading companies have subtle, differing opinions as to what constitutes a 55 or a 58.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my experience, different grading companies have differing opinions as to what constitutes a 55/58 and a 62, particularly concerning Capped Bust coinageimage
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    From my admittedly limited experience, a 58 should be nearly indistinguishable from a mint state specimen - you'll really have to look to find out what keeps it from an MS grade.

A 55 on the other hand will be clearly worn on the highest points and should never be mistaken for a mint state coin.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Prethen's two cent piece brings up a good point. Is the difference strictly a wear issue? Or can an AU55 have the exact same wear as an AU58 but with a few more hits? My guess is it boils down to technical grading vs. market grading. >>

I think degrees of mostly wear vs. rub.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>From my admittedly limited experience, a 58 should be nearly indistinguishable from a mint state specimen - you'll really have to look to find out what keeps it from an MS grade.

A 55 on the other hand will be clearly worn on the highest points and should never be mistaken for a mint state coin. >>

Everyone says that until asked to guess a grade and they say something like; "That coin has too many hits to be a 58." If we are just talking about wear, a coin should be able to be bag marked to death, yet only have the slightest amount of wear and still be a 58.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file