Home Precious Metals
Options

Falling knife?

PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭
I've heard that you shouldn't try to catch a "falling knife" in a plunging market, but some of these PM prices are starting to look relatively good... such as $400 palladium, and silver, if it keeps going down a bit...

Comments

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

buy low, hold, sell high.

$.49-$.99 over looks real good now.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    Not to oppose...just to state my opinion: I'm a bit nervous. I've read the other threads where especially RoadRunner/PC/MJ are mentioning bond markets and expirations may be the root cause, but I'm thinking there may be a LOT of folks like me who are nervous and are starting the ol' slump o' dump. If that really picks up, then the millions of Eagles hoarded recently may start to come back onto the market and further drive prices down.

I'm on the fence for what I'll do, but as I'm still looking at over 25+ years working for the man I SHOULD keep stackin', enjoying the benefits of dollar cost averaging (I'm sure Gecko would counsel me to do that).

Guess I'll hang on and add...
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BOINGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as I'm still looking at over 25+ years working for the man I SHOULD keep stackin', enjoying the benefits of dollar cost averaging (I'm sure Gecko would counsel me to do that).

If he doesn't, I will. After you establish a core position, you still need to manage your money conservatively so that you never have to eat into that core position - in other words, don't put all your money into pms while you still have other things to do. What's already there will grow nicely and you can still add a little regularly.

Keep an open mind and an eye on the fundamentals. The fundamentals are based in monetary policy and the political winds. There may be a day to sell metals, but I think that's a long time from the present. Just sayin'.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    sebrownsebrown Posts: 424
    I think of it as a buying opportunity. Silver is $2 cheaper than the beginning of the week so take advantage of it. Less paper to trade for some shiny stuff! image
    "In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation [...] Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights." - Alan Greenspan
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I just look at the charts. Silver bounces way more than any other. 25+ years to stack. I'd just back off forget about it for a while.

JMO- I think any silver under $20oz still a good buy. Gold under $1,200 too! Heck I just bought a oz Auimage Physical-only hereimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    in Canadian dollars, the price of gold and silver haven't dropped that much.

Gold is $1266 Canadian and it wasn't that different a week or two ago.

Why? because the Canadian dollar has dropped about 6% in the last week.

The PM drop is solely based on the 'flight to safety' (HaHaHa) to the US dollar (again...HaHaHa).

Buy the dips and you'll be a happy camper.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    MoneyCollectorMoneyCollector Posts: 451 ✭✭✭
    Remember, we buy PMs as wealth insurance, not to make a couple % on mild fuctuations.

Randy
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    buy low, sell high.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    Keep stacking at these levels folks! It won't last for long.
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember, we buy PMs as wealth insurance, not to make a couple % on mild fuctuations.

Exactly! image

I could care less if it goes up, down, or sideways from one day, week, or month to the next. As long as Big Government keeps spending money like drunken sailors, the long term trend is up and my stock of PMs are insurance against the inevitable.

The folks who complain about Gold or Silver going down in the short-term remind me of someone who bought Life Insurance last year and is now complaining that they wasted their money because they haven't died yet!

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭✭
    It's all about dollar cost averaging.
  • Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's all about dollar cost averaging. >>

Totally agree!
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options
    Euro just jumped or Dollar just dropped.
    Don't know what it means for metals anymore.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Euro just jumped or Dollar just dropped.

Lol, I nominate that for POTD! It means, of course that the Euro problem and the debt problem have now been solved by Angela Merckle.

I could be wrong, though.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Euro just jumped or Dollar just dropped.

Lol, I nominate that for POTD! It means, of course that the Euro problem and the debt problem have now been solved by Angela Merckle.

I could be wrong, though. >>

It's twuu! It's twuu!

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    PMs have become a manipulated market. Dramatic swings up and down
    as the sharks kill off the timid and scared. Depending on when you buy,
    you might make money other times, you lose. It seems that all investment
    avenues have become stacked against J6P and it is very difficult to escape
    unskinned in anything one tries to do. These are economically difficult times
    so be very careful out there.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    KUCHKUCH Posts: 1,186
    Currently I'm stacking and will use all PM's as leverage, when the time comes. I've got my sell price and profits will be invested in the next bubble. Or I'll take a nice vacation to Greece.image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's all about dollar cost averaging. >>

Yup! Especially if you are in it for the long haul.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>Remember, we buy PMs as wealth insurance, not to make a couple % on mild fuctuations.

Exactly! image

I could care less if it goes up, down, or sideways from one day, week, or month to the next. As long as Big Government keeps spending money like drunken sailors, the long term trend is up and my stock of PMs are insurance against the inevitable.

The folks who complain about Gold or Silver going down in the short-term remind me of someone who bought Life Insurance last year and is now complaining that they wasted their money because they haven't died yet! >>

Thats an unfair slap against drunken sailors. At least they stop spending when they run out of money, unlike our government!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Remember, we buy PMs as wealth insurance, not to make a couple % on mild fuctuations.

Exactly! image

The folks who complain about Gold or Silver going down in the short-term remind me of someone who bought Life Insurance last year and is now complaining that they wasted their money because they haven't died yet! >>

Thats an unfair slap against drunken sailors. At least they stop spending when they run out of money, unlike our government! >>

Good point!

• Options
    Ideally, gold will retract to around $850-$950, and silver will slide back down to around $13. More PMs into my stack for fewer pieces of U.S. toilet paper? Sounds just fine by me!!!
  • Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    Juts curious - what would be a sell price or a sell signal for people?
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    The only bubbles I care to be involved with,

will be found in a bath tube filled with comfy

warm water.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>Juts curious - what would be a sell price or a sell signal for people? >>

My "sell signal" is when my wife and kid tell me they are hungry and the local stores dont take FRNs anymore. Thats my "sell signal".
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Juts curious - what would be a sell price or a sell signal for people? >>

The historical signal is when the Dow and the price of gold are equal, 1 for 1. Most people that follow this proven theory start slowly selling off when it's 2:1 in favor of the dow. This historically signals the beginning of bull market in equities and a bear market in gold.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The historical signal is when the Dow and the price of gold are equal, 1 for 1. Most people that follow this proven theory start slowly selling off when it's 2:1 in favor of the dow. This historically signals the beginning of bull market in equities and a bear market in gold. >>

Did you state this correctly? Do you mean the beginning of a bear market in equities and a bul market in gold?
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    sebrownsebrown Posts: 424

<< <i>

<< <i>The historical signal is when the Dow and the price of gold are equal, 1 for 1. Most people that follow this proven theory start slowly selling off when it's 2:1 in favor of the dow. This historically signals the beginning of bull market in equities and a bear market in gold. >>

Did you state this correctly? Do you mean the beginning of a bear market in equities and a bul market in gold? >>

He stated it correctly. When the ratio is 1:1, it'll most likely mark the end of the bull market in gold and begin a bull market in equities....but who really knows how this will play out in the years ahead.
    "In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation [...] Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights." - Alan Greenspan
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Did you state this correctly? Do you mean the beginning of a bear market in equities and a bul market in gold? >>

He stated it correctly. When the ratio is 1:1, it'll most likely mark the end of the bull market in gold and begin a bull market in equities....but who really knows how this will play out in the years ahead. >>

Gotcha. I didn't read it the way you interpreted it, but I absolutely agree with you.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.