Home Sports Talk
Options

Brian Cushing stripped of NFL Defensive ROY award for PED use, revote gives it back

digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
Link to story

This is the first time I've ever heard of an award being withdrawn and re-voted upon in professional sports. Has it happened before?

Cushing's name is still on the ballot though, so he could possibly win it again.

Edit to add..
Cushing wins it again after revote.
My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    Good intentions aside, this is a bad precedent.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't Shawn Merriman win an award and do PED's?
  • Options
    If he failed the test in September, why are we only hearing about it now?
    Tom
  • Options
    MantleMarisFordBerraMantleMarisFordBerra Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Good intentions aside, this is a bad precedent. >>

Disagree 100%. I think this is a fine standard to uphold...you get caught cheating and there's a automatic re-vote. I like it. I think it's these types of measures that'll make players think twice.
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Good intentions aside, this is a bad precedent. >>

Disagree 100%. I think this is a fine standard to uphold...you get caught cheating and there's a automatic re-vote. I like it. I think it's these types of measures that'll make players think twice. >>

So if Bonds is ever found guilty of violating the leagues substance abuse policy, do we revote on all his MVP awards? How about Arod? How far back do you go? It is one thing if this comes out before the initial vote, but after? And does Cushing pay back any bonus for the award (like the players union won't fight that)? How about the potential new winner - will his team now have to pay that out? There is too much of a trickle effect - some things just can't be undone...to try and do so creates more problems. How about getting the testing and appeals process done in a timely fashion?
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options

<< <i>Didn't Shawn Merriman win an award and do PED's? >>

I did some reading, and apparenly the NFL created what is unofficially known as the "Merriman Rule" after the whole Merriman incident, which bans a player from the Pro-Bowl and from winning any performance awards in a year they test positive for PEDs.

However, I'm not sure how the NFL can enforce the "award" provision, since the award is given out by the AP, not the NFL.

I guess we'll see what the AP thinks about all this when they do the re-vote, since Cushing's name is STILL on the ballot.

As for historical award reasssignment....

Jose Canseco has freely admitted to using steroids through his career. However, MLB has never even tried to take his 1988 MVP award away. Mike Greenwell, however, has been quite vocal in his support of being retroactivly named the 1988 AL MVP.

Also, the Cincinnati Reds still won the World Series in 1919, even though players on the White Sox intentionally threw the series.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    It's stupid to take an award after the fact. He won. Half of the professional athletes are cheaters in some way or another. What a waste for the NFL to crack down on this one guy.
  • Options
    The testing in sports is not on the up and up. Dude was tested in September. I remember when Palmeiro was cruising like a rock star towards 3000 hits----and then like 3 days later the positive test for "horse" steroids.....oh yeah the strong stuff. They do alot of sitting on the results instead of acting before it becomes a big issue.

I'll say this and he may have nothing to do with this but the NFL commissioner doesn't take any Sh#t and I respect him for taking a stance against thuggish and indecent acts. He is also man enough to give all of the thugs a second chance.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's stupid to take an award after the fact. He won. Half of the professional athletes are cheaters in some way or another. What a waste for the NFL to crack down on this one guy. >>

That's your opinion. What is the basis of your allegation that 1/2 professional athletes are cheaters? Who conducted the study?
    In my opinion, and that of the AP, it is rational to have a revote. Cushing won again, so he is still the defensive ROY. I'm not a football fan-I do not even know what team he plays for-so I have no opinion as to the merits of teh selection.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Nothing to see here.

Move along, move along....

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>It's stupid to take an award after the fact. He won. Half of the professional athletes are cheaters in some way or another. What a waste for the NFL to crack down on this one guy. >>

The award is an AP award, not an NFL award, so the NFL is not cracking down.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    One of the sportswriters who changed his vote explained his support by the revote by saying that had the test last September not been appealed, he would have missed the four games last year and likely wouldn't have won the award.
  • Options
    My favorite team ever was the late 70's Steelers. The whispers have been frequent. I'm not saying anymore.
  • Options
    Cushing lost more than half of his supporters, but he still managed to win it back.

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    The AP could do what it wants, but I still think athletes testing positive for PEDs during the time period where their performance is being judged for an award, should be disqualified. The positive test came out during the season in question, so it was not after the fact. Why it takes so long to act on it is a different issue. Facts are Facts. Its unfortunate he won the award again.

The Jose Canseco incident is a little different. There were no positive tests during the 1988 season. All we have is his admission for doing PEDs long after the fact. I am not opposed to giving the MVP to Mike Greenwell retroactively, I am just saying this situation is different. If rules are going to be made, they must be equally applied across the board. So far, no awards have been overturned by MLB. If they take Canseco's award away, then Jason Giambi's must also be taken away. Why go after Canseco and not Giambi?
    This is going to be a very disruptive process. One thing will remain true though. Mike Greenwell will be known as the runner up for the 1988 MVP award. He lost only to a player that used steroids. Those are facts. Because of this publicity, I now know what type of player Greenwell was in 1988. I never knew that fact before there was media attention involved. So, Greenwell has been heard and does receive due credit in my book. In the broader view, whether or not Greenwell officially got the MVP award or not does not change the great season he had or his HOF chances.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The AP could do what it wants, but I still think athletes testing positive for PEDs during the time period where their performance is being judged for an award, should be disqualified. The positive test came out during the season in question, so it was not after the fact. Why it takes so long to act on it is a different issue. Facts are Facts. Its unfortunate he won the award again.

The Jose Canseco incident is a little different. There were no positive tests during the 1988 season. All we have is his admission for doing PEDs long after the fact. I am not opposed to giving the MVP to Mike Greenwell retroactively, I am just saying this situation is different. If rules are going to be made, they must be equally applied across the board. So far, no awards have been overturned by MLB. If they take Canseco's award away, then Jason Giambi's must also be taken away. Why go after Canseco and not Giambi?

Is that a question that really needs to be asked? Canseco is about to get his due... I heard he signed up for an MMA match with Herschel Walker.

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.