Home Sports Talk
Options

Congrats to Jamie Moyer

Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
Oldest pitcher to throw a complete game shutout. Two singles and he only faced 1 over the minimum-28 batters. "WOW"

Comments

• Options
    Not bad for a 60 year old.
  • Options
    im sure he has already joined AARP image
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I never would have thought 20 years ago when the Sox traded him he would still be pitching.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is amazing - there are some games he looks like he's a softball pitcher out there, his pitches look so easy to hit watching on TV, yet he gets 'em out.

Amazing, especially at 47 years old, or should I say "years young" LOL
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Totally amazing!
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He is amazing - there are some games he looks like he's a softball pitcher out there, his pitches look so easy to hit watching on TV, yet he gets 'em out. >>

Obviously, "location, location, location" applies to more than just real estate...
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    I am surprised that they let him bring his walker up to the mound image

In all seriousness, Jamie Moyer is the nicest man to play Major League Baseball
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    impressive outing no matter your age
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Yes, he is a very impressive pitcher. But I have a different opinion of him, considering I was in Kindergarten when he was born. LMFAO!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not bad for a 60 year old. >>

he turned 61 this year
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    262 wins, now 39th on the all time list. 4 more and he will tie Bob Feller. JAMIE MOYER WILL TIE BOB FELLER! YGTBKM!
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Ron,
    Stranger things have happened. He might tie Early Winn and Lefty Grove.
  • Options
    As a Phillies fan and a young guy that likes rooting for veterans, I'm a major Moyer fan.

After being bumped out of the Phillies' starting rotation last year when Pedro Martinez was brought in, I'm afraid that Jamie is always teetering on the edge of being in the starting five rotation. His last start obviously solidified his starting position, and was absolutely remarkable for a 47-1/2 year old man:

Moyer's statline before his celebrated shutout: 3-2, 5.70 ERA
    Moyer's statline after his celebrated shutout: 4-2, 4.38 ERA

Keep hanging in there, Jamie. Julio Franco almost made it to age 50. Maybe you can?

Jamie began his MLB career in 1986 for the Cubs. Just consider how old you were then. Remarkable.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    What's wild is that Moyer has been in the majors longer than some guys in the league have been alive!
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    He has the potential to tie or exceed some HOFers this year alone in terms of total wins.

Realistically, he can catch Mike Mussina with 270 wins by the end of this year.

He has been a dependable and reliable for his entire career and that is something to fondly look back on.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Harold Baines even thinks Jamie Moyer has pitched too long.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    You mean the same Jamie Moyer that is on a 1987 Topps card? Wow
  • Options
    I remember throwing away a bunch of his rookie cards. I had no idea he'd last THIS long!!!!! I wish I kept those cards, I could have made some money. Who am I kidding, it's an 87 baseball card, no big deal.
    Thanks for your help everyone.
  • Options
    Another Moyer complete game pitched just the other day - and Jamie now has 100 wins after age 40...

That performance lowered his ERA for the season to below 4.00 and gave him a winning record: 6-5, 3.98 ERA...

...and Jamie is now closer to age 48 than 47. Just remarkable!
  • Options
    Over the last few years there have been a few threads that talk about there will never be another 300 game winner. The thing is if, and that's a major IF, a guy can pitche decently until 45+ then there area lot of people who might get to 300. I think I read Moyer now has 100 wins post age 40. That's amazing. Great story!
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's correct. His complete game win against the Padres on Saturday was his 100th since turning 40.

Jack Quinn (103 wins) and Phil Niekro (121 wins) are the only other pitchers to do it.

Steve
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, congrats. And he still has time to make it for the early bird special for dinner. image
  • Options
    Here's the current list of career win leaders among active pitchers:

1. Jamie Moyer (47) 264
    2. Andy Pettitte (38) 236
    3. Tim Wakefield (43) 190
    4. Livan Hernandez (35) 160
    5. Roy Halladay (33) 156
    6. Kevin Millwood (35) 155
    7. Tim Hudson (34) 154
    8. Derek Lowe (37) 149
    9. Javier Vazquez (34) 147
    10. CC Sabathia (29) 141
    11. Roy Oswalt (32) 140
    12. Barry Zito (32) 139
    13. Mark Buehrle (31) 138
    14. Jeff Suppan (35) 135
    15. Freddy Garcia (35) 126
    Johan Santana (31) 126

Looking at the list, Roy Halladay, CC Sabathia and Johan Santana appear to have a shot at 300 wins, if they can pitch to about 40-41 years of age and they stay on competitive teams.

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, congrats. And he still has time to make it for the early bird special for dinner. image >>

That's a fact!

I think the game Saturday night lasted 2 hours and 2 minutes image

The Phillies announcers were commenting it, and comparing it to back in the 1970s when Jim Kaat and Randy Jones were pitching. They'd routinely finish games off in under 2 hours image

Fans would be home by 9:30 pm after a 7:00 pm game image

Steve
  • Options
    Amazing how Andy Pettite is right there on wins. I don't watch him often so have no clue of his game but his stats, in recent years, would indicate he could get to 300 if he could keep going until about 41... winning about 13 or 14 a year. Totally doable! Plus, if Pettite gets up to 280 or 285 does he become a HOF candidate?
  • Options
    I would love to see Pettitte get to 300 wins, but just don't think he'll be able to. I really hope I'm wrong though.

Steve
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Last of the 1987 rookies......which is quite a list. Congrats Moyer.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    The great thing about Moyer is he's pitching at that age and is not a knuckleballer. To still be out there without a gimmick pitch is amazing.

Though to be fair, his fastball isn't much faster than a knuckleball. image
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    The ageless one does it again last night:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Moyer sharp, beats Yanks for 265th career win

NEW YORK (AP) -- Age is irrelevant for Jamie Moyer . He's focused on winning.

"I don't think that I'm old. So I don't believe it,'' the 47-year-old Moyer said. "Regardless of what people think or say I still feel like I can go out and compete, and that's my ultimate job."

Boy, did he compete Wednesday night, tossing eight sharp innings to become the oldest pitcher to beat the Yankees.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The "300-wins?" question with Moyer has been once that has been summarily dismissed with a quick "no" in recent seasons. I think that answer to that question is still a resounding "no".

Nonetheless, it's interesting to follow just how long he can ably pitch at a Major League level. Personally, as a Phillies fan, I hope it's until the same age as the number on the back of his jersey...50.
  • Options
    He just keeps rolling on!
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    As long as he is not playing the Dodgers I am rooting for him to keep piling up the W's!
  • Options
    Moyer starts the Phils' next game, Tuesday night.

Moyer's last start a few days ago was remarkable on a lot of levels. One is in comparing him with two Phillies Hall Of Fame Pitchers.

In that game, when he served up a Jorge Posada homer, it was the 504th surrendered in his career. That puts him one behind the all-time Major League leader, Robin Roberts with 505 HRs surrendered. Moyer most likely will end his career with the ingnominous distinction as giving up more homers than any pitcher in MLB history

Moyer's start last week came exactly 24 years after his MLB debut, when he beat Steve Carlton.

When I read online columns about Moyer, I increasingly see posters stating that Jamie should be put into the Hall Of Fame. Despite the fact that I am a lifelong Phillies fan and that Jamie Moyer is my favorite MLB player, he does not belong in the Hall Of Fame. Of course, this is just my opinion. Fans get caught up in the heat of the moment rather than considering history.

It's nice to enjoy the rarity that we have - a 47.6-year-old man pitching capably in the Majors for over 24 years! This is fun!

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No doubt he can pitch, but at his age fielding his position is a very big factor. I hope he doesn't get hurt out there.
  • Options
    When I read online columns about Moyer, I increasingly see posters stating that Jamie should be put into the Hall Of Fame.

It's a great story but he is NOT going to the HOF unless he pitches until he is about 60 and wins 350 games. I can't believe anybody would seriously suggest him for the HOF.
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    We love to put in average hitters into the HOF like Dawson, but Moyer doesn't even get considered? What Jamie has done is 100 times more impressive than what
    some of members of the Hall today have done. If he pitched his career with the Yankees he would be in. Sad
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Moyer's start last week came exactly 24 years after his MLB debut, when he beat Steve Carlton. >>

Actually, he beat the fetid remains of what was once Steve Carlton. Carlton's career jumped the shark when he hit 40, and after that he was suddenly a fairly terrible pitcher. It was sad to see Lefty carry on so long after he clearly no longer had it.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's the current list of career win leaders among active pitchers:

1. Jamie Moyer (47) 264
    5. Roy Halladay (33) 156
    7. Tim Hudson (34) 154
    8. Derek Lowe (37) 149
    10. CC Sabathia (29) 141
    11. Roy Oswalt (32) 140
    12. Barry Zito (32) 139
    14. Jeff Suppan (35) 135
    Johan Santana (31) 126

Looking at the list, Roy Halladay, CC Sabathia and Johan Santana appear to have a shot at 300 wins, if they can pitch to about 40-41 years of age and they stay on competitive teams.

Steve >>

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a guy on that list that has a shot.
  • Options
    He's not a HOF'er.......but if somehow he were to pitch to age 50 and attain 300 wins, he would be.
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    << Here's the current list of career win leaders among active pitchers:

1. Jamie Moyer (47) 264
    5. Roy Halladay (33) 156
    7. Tim Hudson (34) 154
    8. Derek Lowe (37) 149
    10. CC Sabathia (29) 141
    11. Roy Oswalt (32) 140
    12. Barry Zito (32) 139
    14. Jeff Suppan (35) 135
    Johan Santana (31) 126

Steve >>

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a guy on that list that has a shot.

I would think the following have a "shot" at 300:
    10. CC Sabathia (29) 141
    11. Roy Oswalt (32) 140
    12. Barry Zito (32) 139
    Johan Santana (31) 126

Sabathia is only 29 so 12 years averaging 13 wins and he's there. That seems very doable to me.

Beyond that if anybody does like Moyer, and pitch deep into their 40's, then there are a whole host of people that have a shot. If you had produced this list 10 years ago you wouldn't think Moyer would get 200 let alone 300. Obviously Moyer won't actually get to 300 but to get 100 wins in his 40's shows me that a lot of people have a shot at 300.
  • Options
    Johan is not durable enough. Sabathia has a shot.
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    2 hitter tonight, are we ready to vote this guy in the hall yet?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Hall of Fame? image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>2 hitter tonight, are we ready to vote this guy in the hall yet?

The Hall of Fame? image >>

Moyer does now have the same number of wins (266) as Bob Feller and Eppa Rixey both finished with (35th on the career list).

Steve
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He should be in the Hall of Fame for throwing softballs to MLB batters and getting away with it. LOL
  • Options

<< <i>He should be in the Hall of Fame for throwing softballs to MLB batters and getting away with it. LOL >>

Very true! image

Steve
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Hall of Fame? >>

Moyer does now have the same number of wins (266) as Bob Feller and Eppa Rixey both finished with (35th on the career list).

Steve

He still needs 21 wins to tie Blyleven and even if he does (which is unlikely), he's not nearly as good as Bert..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i> 2 hitter tonight, are we ready to vote this guy in the hall yet?

The Hall of Fame? >>

Steve

He still needs 21 wins to tie Blyleven and even if he does (which is unlikely), he's not nearly as good as Bert.. >>

Very true. There are a couple more pitchers at that level (Tommy John and Jim Kaat) who I would put above Moyer.

Steve
  • Options
    I have heard Don Sutton put down as a low level HOFer due to taking so long to get his 300 wins. If Moyer does it at age 53 or so that would make Don Sutton look great!

Congrats to Moyer on another win. I was rooting for him as I watched the SportsCenter highlights this morning.
  • Options
    If Moyer were to reach the 300 wins....I think everyone should look at that achievement as amazing that he lasted so long and deserve alot of respect. Also, I could not imagine anyone voting him for the hall of fame. The HOF would be crazy to put him in and I'm a huge Moyer fan.

What is going to happen with Biggio? He was never a great player. Did I say never a great player. Should not be in the HOF and I like him too.

To me the HOF voting would be easy----Was the players' numbers in the end representative of a really outstanding player for 10 + yearsin the career? and here is the most important question////// Was that same player one of the best in all of baseball for a minimum of like 5-8 years? If the answer is not yes to both...NO DICE.

As for the steroid guys- none will get in.
  • Options
    Biggio will be in the HOF. 3000 hits alone gets you in, but if you look at his versatility and his stats in other areas (a doubles machine), he is in. And worthy of it, IMO, the reason he's overlooked is the market he played in. If he played all those years for NYY, everyone would know his name.
    Ron Burgundy