Home Sports Talk
Options

UFC 113...LHW Title on the line

Some of you may have seen the 1st fight between Machida and Rua and were left scratching your heads as I did. That fight went to a decision for Machida in what was probably his most uninspiring performance ever. Hopefully tonight will be much different! Shogun has been somewhat of an enigma since debuting in the UFC. He lost his first fight against a very game Forrest Griffin, then won his next fight against a 40-something Mark Coleman (and it took him 3 rounds to do so). Then he beat up on a shell that used to be Chuck Liddel. Some fight fans gave the nod to Shogun in their first fight, but I think Machida is going to be a slightly more "aggressive counterstiker" tonight if that even makes any sense. I like Lyoto to win via TKO in the middle rounds (3rd or 4th).

Two more decent fights grace the card tonight. Josh Koscheck against Paul Daley. Daley is a human wrecking ball with unreal KO power. This guy swings with bad intentions everytime he loads up. He is coming off 4 consecutive KO wins including 1 against the always dangerous Martin Kampman. Kos is maybe the single most athletically gifted fighter in all of MMA (and im a HUGE Pierre fan!). Kos was initially just a top flight wrestler when he entered MMA 6 years ago, but his game has evolved into an overall package. His striking is crisp enough to have landed a couple of KO wins recently, and surprisingly, he has added some JuiJitsu to his arsenal with his last victory over a dangerous Anthony Johnson. The key tonight for Kos is to avoid an early KO from Daley. If Kos can set the tempo with multiple double leg takedown shots, I think he will position himself nicely for an easy decision. If Kos throws caution to the wind and decides to brawl with Paul, its gonna be a very quick night for Josh!

Kimbo Slice took the MMA world by storm a couple years ago. The internet brawling sensation has since been humbled a couple of times, but is serious enough about being an MMA fighter that even Bas Rutten has taken an interest in him. Matt Mitrione is a formidable opponent for Kimbo because he hits just as hard, and has a bit of a wrestling game to boot. Both fighters are seriously prone to fatigue, so if this fight doesnt end spectacularly in the 1st round, we may hear quite a few boos due to lack of action. I cannot call this fight, as both fighters have an equal chance at stopping the fight with 1 punch. Could be exciting, could be a snore fest. I'll be watching either way!

Comments

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I happened to be in a place that was showing this tonight. Watched the first 2 fights. Pretty good stuff. I have tried to watch on tv, but always got bored and lost interest. After tonight, I may be more interested. I read on a post fight blog that the Shogun dude was a beast.