Home Metal Detecting

Familiar with old Ford parts?

konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
found this about 8-10 inches deep at the beach today. Its about 2 inches high and 2 inches wide. I tried comparing it to past Ford logos to get an idea of age but I couldnt find an exact match. Anyone got any idea or approximate age and what the part might be?

Comments

• Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    Nice find!!! You have found yourself an old Ford hubcap for wood wheels used from 1914 thru 1928 or there abouts... I am sure someone will give you more correct info later on, but it is a place for you to start searching. Got a Model A to go with it? Trucks from 1917-1927 also used this cap. Later they were called dust caps used to protect grease from contamination in wheel bearings. Here is a stock photo of a chrome plated reproduction used on a restoration a while ago, the originals were nickel plated copper I think...
    If you are interested in selling, let me know. Reproductions are about 20 bucks and while yours is no longer useable, I am sure it has appeal to add to someone’s Ford collection. If you want to sell it I will check with some Ford enthusiasts that I know and act as a middle man.

Rick

Edited to fix spelling and the link to the photo
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.. quick identification.... cool find... Cheers, RickO
  • konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    I have a nickel and some copper pennies that I found detecting that are also purple with green verdigris on them. Must mean the hubcap is made of copper and nickel like you said.

cool ya I'd be interested in selling. It's interesting but I don't really have any interested in collecting things like this. There are 2 cracks on the side of the hubcap that run in parallel to each other and perpendicular to the threads. They are 1/2 - 3/4 inches long. The piece between the cracks isnt loosethough and I'm guessing the hubcap cracked there and fell off and thats how it got lost. Heres some pictures...

• konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    I couldnt find an exact match anywhere. All the old Ford hubcaps I found had a slightly different design in the "Ford MADE IN U.S.A." lettering. Maybe because those were the reproductions?
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well Ill help narrow it down, the caps on my(was my dads) 28 ford dont have the "made in USA" on em. I swapped them off to preserve the wood, now riding on 32 ford steel rims. The one you found is actually no bad looking, I have a few that are much worse.
  • I found one of those a couple of years back while arrowhead hunting. Pretty cool to find out where it came from.
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    I found one of these last year in a park - probably 10" to a foot down.

Posted it over on treasurenet: They said 1910s - 1920s for mine. Yours looks similar (without the massive dent, of course). Very cool find!

Here
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have actually found 2 of these. One with just the Ford part and the other with the threads. Thanks for telling us what it was. I always thought that it was a screw on lid for some type of old Ford product. Now if I could just find where I put them.
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found this above ground on a hike.
    Recognize auto make of this engine hood?
    The long gold things are my hiking poles
    I deserve these at 51 after 30+ years of hikingimage

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    That hood looks like a GM or Chrysler style....not Ford. Looks 30s. I'll do some research when I am more wide awake on that hood.

Neat find on the hubcap!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    Not sure what they are, but that looks a lot like my old stomping grounds! Anywhere near the San Jacinto mountains? Just wondering...

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • well nice find.10 more years and you,ll have the rest of the truck!!!!