Home Metal Detecting
Options

Did I find meteorites?

konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
found these on 2 separate days on a beach and within about 50 feet of each other. They both attract magnets, are picked up by my metal detector as iron and seem to be a little heavier then a rock their size. There about 1-2" long and the light brown substance appears to be rust though I used some rust remover on the one on the right.

then I also have these 2 which probably arent meteorites but I have found them in the same area on the beach and they are being picked up by the metal detector mainly in the nickel range but kinda all over the place. There very light, like charcoals and are not magnetic. Any idea what metal they are?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bottom two resemble coke, which is light and MD's will pick up. The top right hand item (as you view it) has some characteristics of a meteorite... but I cannot be sure. The one on the left - I have no idea. Do you have a college near you? Check it out with the geology department. Lots of sites on the web giving tips on how to ID meteorites as well. Good luck, RickO
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the top pic, could be rusted out bolts ,ship hull, pier etc
    I've seen tons of this stuff living near the beach close to 30 years.
    Only way is to have a lab cut it in half and examine crystalin grain structure
    under a microscope.
    I did find a small chunk of meteor on a trip to the "meteor crater" in AZ.
    I'll post a pick when I can.
    This can be "The meteor thread"image
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    I'm 99% sure there not rusted our bolts/nails/screws. ahhh but if I cut it in half I'll lose the sale value :-)
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just noting , I've seen 20 year old rebar in the ocean chunk off and turn into clumps of iron.
    Found this near the rim of the "crater"
    magnet sticks.
    You can see the admission ticket.
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    I just threw out the coal looking rocks and I posted the others on another forum, but they wanted me to cut the rocks up to see what they look like on the inside, which will ruin their value if they are actually meteorites image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Metalmeister... that sure looks like meteorite material.
    Konsole, if you cannot get to a geologist, and the information on the net (extensive, with pictures) is not enough to identify the material, then you may as well cut it open..... you have nothing until it is identified.
    Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    Contact Robert Haag, you can google him. He is an honest collector/dealer in meteorites and you can send them to him for an offer.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards