Home Metal Detecting

May 4th and 5th 2010 - High grade Barber Quarter, 4 silver dimes, 4 IHCs, 1 V Nickel and 6 Wheats...

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
For some reason, my lucky streak continues. Got out yesterday and today at an older meeting house in the area.

Yesterday pulled up:
1892 Barber quarter - higher grade VF?
1917 Merc
1926 Merc
1946 Roosie
1893, 1878, 1901 IHCs
1906 V Nickel
6 wheats - 1923, 1937, 1910, 1923, 1945, 1946

The cool part is only 2 Lincoln memorials showed! More IHCs than Memorials... not too bad.

Went back to the same place today:
1935 Merc
1898 IHC
1932 Canada cent - a neat surprise.

The one odd thing about most of these coins is they are actually higher grades. The Barber quarter looks to be about VF. A couple of the Indian Cents have full LIBERTY, The 1935 Merc almost has full bands. And the 1906 V Nickel has nice hair detail and full LIBERTY - maybe a VF? (not my series).

Even though these were not near water, they all came out pretty dirty. What do you think is the best way to get the dirt off? I soaked them in water for a little bit but it didn't have too much of an effect. Don't want any more hairlines!

Also found a few pieces of costume jewelry.

Comments

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a nice Barber quarterimage
  • Very very nice finds - you are on some fertile ground.image You might try the mineral oil or olive oil bath to remove the dirt - it'll take a looong time, I've done it up to months, but you won't have to rub the coin. When all else fails, use the rose thorn.
    -Joe

-Weinman Fan
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice haul. your right about the barber quarterimage
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • deadmunnydeadmunny Posts: 165 ✭✭
    Awesome barber. The Verdi-Gone guy (BadThad) is developing a new product called Verdi-Care that might clear up some of those coins.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!!! You are on a roll... well done. Try hot peroxide. Heat it in a glass dish in the microwave... then put the coins in ... should take the crud off quickly. Cheers, RickO
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I am in deep appreciation of the ground you detect in.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • That barber and the 1906 nickel are really nice, great finds. I'm going out tomorrow if it doesn't rain all day.