Home Metal Detecting
Options

May 1, 2010 finds: old cellar hole brings Barber, buckles and buttons

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭✭
I haven't done much cellar hole searching, but wanted to hit one of my list before the plants grow too thick.

The first button has a nice decorative front, and the back reads "ORANGE COLOUR." I'm afraid to clean it too much, as it's flaking a bit... Do you think a quick hit with soap, water and a toothbrush would be beneficial or hurt it? Any idea on age?

The 2nd button has a plain front but the back had a nice decoration and reads "TREBLE GILT." Age?

Also picked up three buckles too - age?

Late in the hunt got a nice silver reading. Thinking seated or even Spanish silver I dug carefully... out pops a small siver disc. Couldn't tell what it was, but what peeked through looked foreign. Put it in the car and rinsed it off when I got home... a Barber dime - 1892-O. Turns out the detail that was visible was "8" in the date showing sideways. Was hoping for my first spanish silver but it will have to wait.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting finds... I know nothing about buttons....there are some experts on www.metaldetectingforum.com they may be able to help. Nice Barber and good move waiting til you got home to rinse it. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dont ya love a good button like that. nice finds to image
  • Options
    Nice pieces. I'm in the same boat as ricko, I know nothing about buttons, but I think the belt buckles were used to hold pants upimage.