Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

IM Back! With A Moving Story

Hi Everyone!

Ive been absent from the boards for awhile.
My wife and I just recently completed the purchase of a New Home.
The amount of work involved while continuing to work on my old home to prepare it for sale is an almost overwhelming task. Not to Mention packing up and moving EVERYTHING you own!

But Im now starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel! My old home currently has an offer on it and it looks like it is going to sell, barring any problems with the buyers financing.
It sold in one day on the market, so all the hard work I put into it paid off.

As for our new home? Well its great! But the wife demanded some changes and thus I had to install New tile floors in both bathrooms and cut in two walk-in closets. All new paint through out as well. Then I decided why stop now! I torn out all the tile and carpet on the mid level and installed all new Oak hardwood floors.

Kids are having fun (On the New Floor)

As Well as Making new Friends
imageimage

This new Home also allowed me a new "Mancave' area for my hobby interests. A 12 x 20 lower level.

As well as an 8 x 10 storage room off to the side of that room

In moving my collection I didn't realize how much stuff I had accumulated over the years! I found things I had packed away years ago, as well as things I had forgotten about or never even knew I had. Most of my collection was packed away simply because I never had anywhere to display them in the past. THAT has all change NOW!
While I have not yet been able to decor the room completely yet I have hung one item that has not seen the light of day since 1992 When I purchased it. At the time I had this Autographed Larry Bird Lithograph custom framed and matted in a Celtic Green Frame. It is a limited edion of 1000 and signed and dated by the Artist as well.

Ill be unpacking many more lost or forgotten items of my collection as time permits. While funds have been tight with the move, I still managed to pick up a few items for my 55 and 71 Football sets. Hoping the PSA 71's cross for my SGC set.
imageimage

Haven't made much headway on my 72 Set. Its still setting at #4 on the registry and Im still needing 20 cards to complete it.
Sure could use some help finding those 20 cards in PSA 9. These are the last two I have been able to aquire.

imageimage

Guess Ive rambled on enough for now. I will keep ya updated as the "Mancave" evolves.

John

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on your new home John.

Good luck with the mancave - very nice - wish I had a space like that!
    Mike
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    That's the American Dream - way to go!

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Thanks Guys! Unfortunately the "America Dream" is at risk of being Taxed into extintion.
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    congrats !

im in the same boat..

in contract for new home, trying to sell current home, hoping for only 1 or 2 month overlap...

How did you sell it so fast ? what region are you in?
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    John Having your house sell the 1st day it was on the market is awesome.
    3-4 years ago when the market was better, it took me 9 months to sell after we moved out
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    how nice for you, the PERFECT mancave (what's up with that tank?).

i am SOOOOOO jealous right now, congrats.

P.S. ya got some cute lil offspring there, but after the sale is completed on the old place, go buy your son a pair of pants. image
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    congrats!!! nice new space you have there
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Congrats on the new house and I'm glad to see that your kids are gentle with the little creatures. Lots of other kids would want to torture or exterminate those little guys. My snake sighting total this year is 2 worm snakes (my backyard), 1 big black snake (crossing a country road - very cute), and 1 big copperhead (he was firmly and politely asked to leave my driveway).
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the new house and welcome back! Where did you buy?

My wife and I are looking right now and will most likely list our house for sale in the next few weeks. Its a great time to buy...bad time to sell..but my hope is that the money I save moving up will offset the loss in selling my current house. We are meeting with Ryan homes today to inquire about building new...not sure what we are going to do. Missed the federal tax incentive though...hopefully the gov't will offer it again.

By the way, that snake would have met my shovel! I am borderline phobic of them!
  • Options
    Thanks Again for all the kind replies.

As for some of your qestions and Comments:

FANDANGO:

I live in a small rual area in Illinois(About 200 hundred miles west of Chicago)
    We're not talking a big Market here and There are many properties that have been sitting
    on the Market for a Long time. Although the sale is pending the Buyers Financing, I feel
    very fortunate that we got an offer in one day.

As to how to do that, Well a little luck and timing goes a long way these days.
    But nothing can do more to sell your home than putting in some extra effort and
    work to make that home as appealing as possible.
    I can't tell you how many homes we looked at that were just total wrecks. Dirty, holes in the walls,
    etc...
    I did alot of work to make sure my home was not like that. We patched ALL the nail holes and repainted all the walls.
    The little things do COUNT.
    I replaced all the Bathroom drains and Showerhead
    Make sure your outlet and light switch covers match the switches.
    Touch up all woodwork with woodstain
    Use Bleach water to remove any unsightly dirt or mold on siding.
    I also retuck pointed all the morter joints in the Basement brick walls.
    Make sure your toilets are Spotless and have the flang bolts covers on them(replace the toilet seat if Necessary)
    And above all MAKE sure that home is CLEAN and Spotless!! Im talking not even a cob web in the basement!
    Keep the lawn mowed and neat as well.

ITZAGONER:

The Tank is a custom made 1/6th scale(GI Joe) WWII US Sherman Tank, which is another of my hobbies.
    My main focus in the hobby is WWII US Troops and setting up and recreating historical Scences.
    The Dioramas are Photographed and shared with other hobbists much like the card forum here.
    Some scences from my Omaha Beach Photoshoot: (Yes that is Lee Marvin)

All the figures were custom painted and "Weathered" right down to the "Big Red One" patches on their Jackets.
    I also custom built the Higgins Boat they are in.

Photos from other Dioramas Ive done:
    German Trench Line

82nd Airbourne Troops
    Please Feel Free to check my Web Site for all of my complete Photoshoots at the following link.
    AllAmericanHobbies

As for JR's Pants. Those are NEW. He custom made them that way cause he thinks its cool<G>

THE SNAKE:
    JR has been obssessed with Snakes snice the day he was born. He has Snake and reptile books taht he carries with him
    and says he is going to be a snake scientist. Now I don't need no snakes crawling on me, but we have taugh the young ones that EVERYTHING has a place and purpose in this world. He has been taught to respect and be careful of snakes and this piticular little garter snake has a little story behind it.

Last year our neighbour had caught this little bitty baby garter snake. She knew Jace(My son) loved looking for snakes in the back alley behind her house, So she gave this little baby snake to Jace and he brang it home in a jar. He said he named the snake "Mike"
    That Evening we told Jace he had to let the snake go. So he could go home to his parents and such. He cryed his little eyes out at having to let that snake go and weather "Mike" would be OK. He was assured the Mike would be ok and that we would see him out in the alley again.

Days went by and Mike kind of faded.

Flash Forward to this Spring. We're over cleaning and Mowing at our old house getting it ready to sell (Yes, the pic was taken at our old house. ya got me)
    Out from under the fence comes this little medium size garden snake. "MOM! DAD! come quick it's Mike!" "He came right to me and let me pick him up" Well most certainly we couldn't leave Mike behind. Jace and his sister Jaidyn were both very mindful in not hurting Mike as they Handled him. Jace was very well aware of knowing how to control a snake by getting him right behind the head to control him, as well as VERY careful not to hurt him. We all got in the truck and drove Mike over to our new house and let him go in the ditch out back.
    Garter Snakes are harmless and are a great benifit to ones Garden by control bugs and insects.

BigDaddy(Ryan)

We actual didn't move to far from where we we living. Just to the edge of town here in lil ole Kewanee, Il.
    I did qualify for that tax credit $6,500 BUCKS . The IRS is now making me jump through some hoops for it.
    Proof of address change, Proof you lived in your prior home for 5 consecutive years. I guess there's a lot of fraud going on with
    these tax credits.
    Hope you and your wife can eventually find what your looking for.

Now Why would ya wanta hurt Mike? I give him a little spot to warm his blood and he in return keeps as many insects and spiders as he can out of my house and helps protect my Tomatoes. Hell he's more of an asset to the world than many people I know
    Ive rambled on again here.
    I will get back with you as I have a few questions about the 51 & 52 Bowman Large and Small Sets I thought you might be able to clear up.

John
  • Options
    brianwintersfanbrianwintersfan Posts: 3,626 ✭✭
    Love the space you have there for your collection. We are planning on moving next year, and I would love to have a mancave like that. I want to buy a couple of those big lighted trophy cases to display some of my toys(bobble heads, die-cast, etc...)
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    this has turned into a real cool thread....
    thanks
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>this has turned into a real cool thread....
    thanks >>

I agree with Dizzle, cool thread! You have motivated me to do a spring cleaning of my man cave today.
  • Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those models are incredilble.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    way cool John, thanks for the explanation AND the pics. image

and keep us up-to-date on JR's progress, whether he starts up a new Jurassic Park or a punk rock band. image
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Garter....its Garter snake....just ask Jace!image
  • Options
    Glad everyone is enjoying the thread!

I got alot of stuff to go through. Stuff I Forgot I even had, or never even knew I had.
    Big yard Sale coming up for us and I will be trying to move some items out of my collection
    to frre up some capital. Then I might be able to concentrate a bit more on the "Mancave"

Garter Snake it is.

John
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Those models are awesome looking.
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159

<< <i>Unfortunately the "America Dream" is at risk of being Taxed into extintion. >>

Someone's gotta pay for the wars.

Whoever was in charge of George Bush should've explained that the blood of our soldiers isn't actually what pays those bills.
  • Options
    I just snorted a bump of 14K gold dust off of my pinky nail
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Unfortunately the "America Dream" is at risk of being Taxed into extintion. >>

Is this the same guy who is receiving a $6500 tax credit? Where do you think that money comes from? lol

Anyway, love the pics, thanks for sharing! image
  • Options
    Qualified for the tax credit.
    Never recieved anything. Government "red tape"
    Even so its a small morsel they serve up before getting it back
    in the coming storm.
  • Options
    SlipKnot515SlipKnot515 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭
    Well, looks like I picked a good day to login to the site again... that WWII stuff is incredible.
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words on my 1/6 scale Hobby

Here is a Shoot I did for a Contest which I took second place for.

The Theme had to be Halloween related.

My theme was was about how Predators had been "hunting" on Earth for decades and stalking both Axis and Allied soilders
    through out WWII.

imageimage

Two remaining US siolders fleeing back to base after their squad was ambused and killed by predators

They Man the .30 Cal at the base and open fire into the distance.

The Preadtor appears from out of nowhere to claim another kill.

The Predator's Battle cry in claiming its new trophies echo's across europe

OPPs Sorry Non-Card Related

• Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Qualified for the tax credit.
    Never recieved anything. Government "red tape"
    Even so its a small morsel they serve up before getting it back
    in the coming storm. >>

Thanks for sharing. You seem like a smart and interesting guy-- I look forward to reading more of your insights going forward.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I have a dealer account with Horizon Hobbies, if you need any models, or anything for them, send me a PM and I will get you your stuff at cost.

Nice stuff btw image

Patrick