Home U.S. Coin Forum

Morgan grading help **Pics added**

Can anyone tell me the difference between an EF45 and an AU53? I still haven't gotten a redbook yet, dealer here's always telling me next week. And I've seen pics online but can't tell from those easily.

<><><><><><>sig<><><><><><>

Love Errors and Varieties

<><><><>

WTB an error forum!

Comments

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • I am not a Morgan aficionado but in my limited experience an AU53 will have somewhat more luster, and the breast of the eagle will be more defined, and some feathers will be present, depending on the branch mint facility it was produced at.
    Successful BST transactions with: Walkerguy21D, Metalsman, chumley, cohodk
  • That's the one i looked at. I checked out Ebay's guide and that let me know what i needed.

First morgan purchase in years, 1883-O AU obv EF rev

EDIT pics coming tomorrow, camera i have does better in daylight.

<><><><>

WTB an error forum!
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    AU53 Wear: There will be obvious wear on the high points. Friction will cover 50 to 75% of the fields. Marks: There usually will be several minor and major marks/hairlines. These will be scattered, or there can
    be small concentrated areas of them, including the prime focal areas. Strike will range from weak to full. The luster can range from poor to full. There will be noticeable breaks in the luster over 1/2 to 3/4 of the coin.

EF45 Wear: The amount of wear will be noticeable, with all details still sharp and clear and definition between individual parts of the devices. Approximately 95% of the original major detail is still evident.
    There can be some luster in the devices. Sometimes there can be considerable luster in the fields. However, if there is no luster present, a coin still can grade EF45 if the detail is exceptional.
    Strike will range from below average to full. For weakly struck coins that show wear consistent with EF45, the grade would probably be EF40 or lower.
    This is out of the Coin Grading & Counterfeit Detection book from PCGS. Find a copy, its great!
    Derek

EAC 6024

• << <i>Find a copy, its great! >>

First off, thank you. Second, I'll add that to my book list. I'm trying to do 50 50 to start since I'm just getting back into collecting. Half my spending money on coins, the other have on books and supplies.

Third, are New Orleans coins known for weakish strikes?

<><><><>

WTB an error forum!
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the mid year New Orleans are very weakly struck. the '92-O is probably
    the worst strike for any of the Morgans.

bob

PS: some are very well struck and you need to search for nice strikes in all years.
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Your very welcome. I do not collect Morgans, but yes, generally New Orleans coins are weakly struck. Weakly struck coins can be market graded along with technical grading.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Well, I'm not looking to make money off it. It was the best deal at the flea market I went to today. My plan of attack is US type, then date and MM, then upgrade the grade lol.

Plus a ton of lots thrown in. I think I have more fun doing that than I'd have holding an 1804. The coin in my sig is from a bulk lot, cost me 6.3 cents

<><><><>

WTB an error forum!
  • sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some of the mid year New Orleans are very weakly struck. the '92-O is probably
    the worst strike for any of the Morgans.

bob

PS: some are very well struck and you need to search for nice strikes in all years. >>

Here is my 92-o, I think it is very well struck and an exception to the soft strikes for the date.

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
    Yep, that's a nice 92-O for sure. They don't come too much better in strike than that one.

bob
    Here's a weak 92-O (cleaned many years ago and retoned). Note the weakness over the ear and breast feathers.
    imageimage

• << <i>Here's a weak 92-O (cleaned many years ago and retoned). Note the weakness over the ear and breast feathers. >>

That's how mine looks, but yall can tell better tomorrow when i post pics. That's if i can get them to come out right

<><><><>

WTB an error forum!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 92O posted by Sweetwilliet is a really nice coin. Cheers, RickO
  • sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That 92O posted by Sweetwilliet is a really nice coin. Cheers, RickO >>

Thanks, Ricko. Glad to see it got the Ricko seal of approval, even with a little bit of V shaped toning on the obverse.image
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Pics added to original post

<><><><>

WTB an error forum!
    83-O's are generally very well struck and not like the mid 90's. Your coin is EF details as
    it's been cleaned. Pics tell it all .... do you see the parallel scratches that show up on the
    reverse going from NW to SE? Same direction on the obverse as well and shows on the
    cheek very clearly. If you just purchased this dollar perhaps you still can return? I'd look
    for a much better coin, at least one without the cleaning. A nice MS63 is less than $50
    in a PCGS slab, do a bit of shopping and you'll see.

Thanks for posting the pics!
    bob

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file