Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Squabble with a forum member over a coin: who's in the wrong here?

I sold this coin to an un-named forum member for $200 back around Christmas. Now, keep in mind, I paid $250 for the coin. Some 6 weeks later, he told me it was a "POS" and wanted his money back, but if I had already spent that money on something else that I shouldn't worry about it. I explained to him I was a humble collector and, if it was a week or 2 after the fact we could work something out, but that at this point, some 1 1/2-2 months later I'd spent it on another coin. After this, there was silence until today, when he decided to reveal his struggle today to the rest of the forum in my Buy-Sell-Trade thread.

So, who exactly is in the wrong here? If the consensus becomes that I'm in the wrong, then I will find a way to refund the guy. I mean, I've only been doing this coin trading business for a year or so - maybe I missed something in the rules book.

Here's the coin in question.
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Return it within 7 days or keep quiet.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>After this, there was silence until today, when he decided to reveal his struggle today to the rest of the forum in my Buy-Sell-Trade thread. >>

Could you provide a link to this thread?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    generous dealers offer a 30 day, no questions asked return policy. Seems that even if those were your terms, there's no need to accept a return.

Sometimes people seek a return if they can't quickly sell a coin for a profit, which is a good reason to have a specified time period in which a buyer can return a coin.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    In cases like this, the member with the highest post count wins.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Linky image

I think you are right in this situation if those are all the details...
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    deviousdevious Posts: 1,690
    i'd tell him to start picking cans from dumpsters for his refund. 6 weeks, private party sell, forget it! move along, nothing to see here. image
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>In cases like this, the member with the highest post count wins. >>

I've always thought post count was overrated, i'd go with time since joined...
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    These boards are becoming more like a soap opera and less like a knowledge hub for collectors each day. I've purchased from Liz in the past and never had a problem. I don't agree with airing dirty laundry on the forum. IMHO, as long as the return privilege has not expired (7 days seems to work for me) the coin should be refunded. After that the buyer is on their own.

Tom
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    What's beyond a trifecta?

Rule 2) Anyone posting crude or vulgar pictures or language will no longer be allowed to post. No more warnings.

Rule 3) Anyone attacking another poster or making disparaging personal remarks will no longer be allowed to post. No more warnings.

Rule 4) Anyone making libelous remarks concerning any individual, any company, or any other entity will no longer be allowed to post. No more warnings.

Rule 5) If you have nothing to contribute to an OP then do not post. Snide remarks and other negative comments will result in your losing your ability to post. No more warnings.

Oh, coin22lover ? You are not in the wrong based on what you're disclosed and I think that the moderator should be alerted to this .

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like a nice coin to me.

Return priv details should be spelled out in the terms of the sale. Otherwise, I would revert to the ANA standard, which is 30 days (IIRC). Either way, you are not obligated to buy back the coin.
  • Options
    Not worth it... tired of this kid stuff
  • Options
    <<i'd tell him to start picking cans from dumpsters for his refund. 6 weeks, private party sell, forget it! move along, nothing to see here. >>

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Give the whole story- Please-

Please give the reason why I did not view the coin immediately and the extenuating circumstance-

I bought the coin then while it was being shipped my wife was diagnosed with Cancer and we began going back and forth to the hospitals for tests, evaluations etc etc etc- Then my wife had her surgery on February 9th. At that time when she got out of the hospital we came home- During this recovery time is when I began to go over the coins that I had purchased the week before Sue was diagnosed. AS soon as I started looking at this coin I was unhappy- I had purchased 5 other coins from coin22lover- I was happy with 4 of them- But I was unhappy with this one- It was harshly cleaned and I did not like it- I told her immediately- This would have been mid- February- She told me that she was unable to refund the money- I left it open at the time and made 3 attempts to get rid of the coin even at a loss- I was unable- So, I made efforts to try to keep her from giving my money back but I am stuck with a horrid coin that the person I bought it from will not refund. I asked her in February to stand by her coin... She told me at that time she did not have the money to refund me... I tried to work with her....

I am just asking you to stand by a coin you sold.

I hate this stupid drama. >>

Well that is bad to hear about the cancer, but that should not be the sellers fault. 7 days is standard, and 30 days is extreme. Longer than this and too much time has passed.
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    How about I settle this...

If those pics are accurate, I think that *I* might want that coin for $200
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    With respect to Waterzooey and his wife's medical condition, I have to side with the OP on this one.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Give the whole story- Please-

Please give the reason why I did not view the coin immediately and the extenuating circumstance-

I bought the coin then while it was being shipped my wife was diagnosed with Cancer and we began going back and forth to the hospitals for tests, evaluations etc etc etc- Then my wife had her surgery on February 9th. At that time when she got out of the hospital we came home- During this recovery time is when I began to go over the coins that I had purchased the week before Sue was diagnosed. AS soon as I started looking at this coin I was unhappy- I had purchased 5 other coins from coin22lover- I was happy with 4 of them- But I was unhappy with this one- It was harshly cleaned and I did not like it- I told her immediately- This would have been mid- February- She told me that she was unable to refund the money- I left it open at the time and made 3 attempts to get rid of the coin even at a loss- I was unable- So, I made efforts to try to keep her from giving my money back but I am stuck with a horrid coin that the person I bought it from will not refund. I asked her in February to stand by her coin... She told me at that time she did not have the money to refund me... I tried to work with her....

I am just asking you to stand by a coin you sold.

I hate this stupid drama. >>

Sounds like your complaint should be with PCGS since you claim it's harshly cleaned.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    You need to tell the buyer to politely 'pound sand'. If he couldn't tell you this during the first couple of days (not withstanding some sort of illness), a few weeks at best would be more than acceptable. He bought it, now it is his!
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    I have to side with the seller. The personal problems in the buyers life should have no impact on whether the seller has to refund over a month later. On Ebay I get so many excuses as the buyer or seller has died and can't continue the transaction, only to have them bidding or selling the next day on other things. You would think Ebay was hazardous to your health with so many excuses

When I was about 18 I installed a set of door speakers for a neighbors truck. He had bought them USED at a Flea market for a few bucks. They worked for about 10 months and one of them went out. He came back to me and wanted a refund of the $20 I charged him to install them. I said I am sorry, I can't do that as they were used and it was almost a year later. He hit me in the face about 3 seconds after I said that. I called the cops and he was arrested. Some people think they can return stuff like at Costco after they use / enjoy it and there is not limit.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...hmmm. and in my case i had a very good transaction with a board member. i wanted a peace dollar and saw one

advertised on the BST. i contacted him and asked about the coin.we agreed on a price. now he doesn't know me so

of course i offered a personal check, told him i expect him to wait for it to clear before he ships the coin. we understood

one another. two days later the coin arrived!! no way did the check have time to clear BUT he trusted me and for

that i certainly appreciate the gesture. so you see, there are GOOD things happening here as well. image i would

consider buying from him in the future, that's a fact! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has been a little while with no communication. i might put it on ebay or elsewhere for the $250 and see what happens. jmho image have a great weekend all
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These boards are becoming more like a soap opera

Yes from time to time it is and some threads more than others. I just avoid the dreck of threads unless I am bored...still lots of knowledge around here...and I side with the seller on this. Too much time has passed...

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>it looks like you went out of your way to list the possible faults with the coin
    kudos to YOU

the buyer, OregonCityGold,
    well his posting speaks for itself.

Friday April 30, 2010 2:49 PM

Why not stand by your coin and give me a refund for this POS you sold me.

what's that popcorn emoticon?

Edited: Friday April 30, 2010 at 2:50 PM by OregonCityGold >>

OregonCityGold was not the buyer.
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    your buyer, and our fellow forum member, is out-of-line.

...had bad feelings since day one...
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The buyer is totally out of line.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm actually eating a pork chop while reading this... BRB getting another! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for the personal pain the buyer's life, but that shouldn't impact the seller after a month+ has passed; particularly since the seller is not a dealer but just a hobbyist.
    I also agree with the comment that, if the issue is a cleaning or the coin is problematic for the grade, that it should be taken up with PCGS since it appears to be in their holder and would be under their guarantee.

When I sell, I wouldn't want a return but I have no problems with a return....but, once a few weeks have gone by, I don't want to hassle with things that I consider done deals. This seller shouldn't either.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin looks nice in the images within this thread. As for the transaction, coin22lover should have had payment, shipping and return rights and restrictions plainly listed in the BST or agreed upon in PM communication. However, I understand that many folks treat BST transactions as a bit more informal than I do. It is also a darn shame that waterzooey's has been diagnosed with cancer and I express my hope that she makes a complete and quick recovery. In this instance it would have been quite convenient for waterzooey if coin22lover had taken the coin back for complete refund, but I see no reason to either require or expect coin22lover to issue a complete refund given the length of time from purchase-shipping and being informed of the return request. Given the denial of a refund, waterzooey should have moved the coin some other way without impugning upon the character of coin22lover. I side with the seller.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Reading this I just had a flashback...

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm actually eating a pork chop while reading this... BRB getting another! image >>

• Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    Who's wrong? The buyer.

He received the coin described and held on to it long past the reasonable return period.

If he hates the coin so much, he could sell it on ebay or the BST, recoup some if not all of his $$, and chalk the difference up to the way things go sometimes.

Seriously, what would his loss be? $50?

Why do so many people with a problem feel like the responsibility should fall on anyone but them?

Are there any grownups left?

Dan
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    The most generous dealers offer a 30 day return unless it's found to be a fake and even then it's a gray area. I would say he owns it.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Tom said...
    Lance.
  • Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    As for the buyer's wife having cancer, I sympathize but what does that have to do with the transaction?

He could have easily sent an email and said "I got the coin, and intend to return it, but my wife was just diagnosed with cancer so running to the post office isn't at the top of my to do list right now -- can I have a couple of extra weeks to send it back?"

Sounds like the seller is a good guy and that would have been the end of it.

I'm guessing that the buyer kept up with other obligations during that time, paid bills, mortgage, etc.

Don't forget, we can search the postings to see if the buyer found time to participate on this forum during the time in question.

For instance, if the buyer was waterzooey (I don't know that it is; someone else said this), we can search and find posts during late December/early January.

Dec. 30 2009

Jan 1 2010

Dan
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How about I settle this...

If those pics are accurate, I think that *I* might want that coin for $200 >>

Bill...you were reading my mind.

That's a nice looking CBQ !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While the seller certainly has no obligation to refund given the amount of time that passed,
    in this extenuating situation had I been the seller I would have returned the coin had the buyer simply shared the story of his wife's illness
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>How about I settle this...

If those pics are accurate, I think that *I* might want that coin for $200 >>

Bill...you were reading my mind.

That's a nice looking CBQ !! >>

I completely agree... I would be happy to purchase a Bust Quarter like that for $200... that is more than fair... doesn't look like a POS to me... I'd buy it right now if offered.
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    I think bashing other members on this forum like the buyer did on the BST is out of line but this thread is not far from it too. Even if you are correct.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options

I'm on the OP's side for this one.

Also remember, if you agree with the sellers return policy when buying, deal with it or don't buy!

We should have a drama queen section on here. Knowledge is better than a soap opera!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really think we need a comprehensive set of rules posted at the top of the BST forum.

Tooooo much drama lately!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope everything will go better in the buyer's life, and that the buyer can vent their inner frustrations in a more constructive and beneficial way.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

<< <i>I really think we need a comprehensive set of rules posted at the top of the BST forum.

Tooooo much drama lately!!!!!!!!!! >>

eBay's been working on a comprehensive set of rules for over ten years. I don't notice any particular diminishment in the drama there.
  • Options
    Well all things aside the buyer just shot himself in the foot... as this forum doesn't forget.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Return it within 7 days or keep quiet. >>

thats right crying about a coin deal a month and a half later is bad form.
  • Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Well everyone. I appreciate you all taking my side I guess, but I've thought about it and I've decided that I'm going to offer waterzooey his money back on the coin. He isn't a bad guy, I have no hard feelings. I guess the lesson here could be for many of us, be sure to clearly state your terms so there will never be any confusion.
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have coins I bought a few years ago that I would love to return,But I realize the time has expired,I am stuck with them foreverimageI have to side with the seller on this one.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    Well done. image

• Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    I like the coin...I guess I'll stand in line to purchase it as well.
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel bad for the buyer's wife -- with what she is going through, why did he have to rope her into this stupid coin squabble?
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm confused, but it wouldn't be the first time.

The images in this thread show a PCGS coin, and the BST images show a raw coin that doesn't look at all like the coin in this thread. Or am I seeing things?image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file