Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1866 Shield Nickel Plus?--NEW PICS

drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
What do you think? It's in a blue PCGS PR65CAM holder...does it have a good shot at plus? Thanks

The lines/blur at 6oclock (both sides) are on holder.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A beautiful coin, however, solid for the grade, IMO. Very nice specimen. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    That's a pretty coin... I'd hate to be a grader at PCGS. The only distraction I see is the weak dentil molding at 6:30 on the reverse. The cameo doesn't show in your photos.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Assessing most coins accurately and consistently from images is extremely difficult. In the case of Proof coins, it is usually impossible. For all we know, the coin in question could deserve a 63, 64, 65 or 66 - there is no way to determine whether it merits a plus.
  • Options

<< <i>Assessing most coins accurately and consistently from images is extremely difficult. In the case of Proof coins, it is usually impossible. For all we know, the coin in question could deserve a 63, 64, 65 or 66 - there is no way to determine whether it merits a plus. >>

Coinguy1 -- I agree. Probably is meaningless to ask for photo-grade estimates, but I thought maybe someone would point out a flaw that I hadn't considered...

Thanks for taking the time to post. image
  • Options

<< <i>That's a pretty coin... I'd hate to be a grader at PCGS. The only distraction I see is the weak dentil molding at 6:30 on the reverse. The cameo doesn't show in your photos. >>

IIafoe--Heritage photos. I haven't held the coin, but thought it should be worth the 2875 (includes BP) I paid. Guess that makes me a gambler (or a fool). image
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I think it has a good shot -- very few spots, nice look.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Yes, I think it has a good shot -- very few spots, nice look. >>

There looks to be staining at the upper left portion of the horizontal shield stripes and possibly on the lower reverse. Equally or more importantly, the grade of Proof coins is, far more times than not, limited by the extent of hairlines, which are rarely seen in on-line images.
  • Options
    I would love to find any MS that is even close to the reverse here. Except for the slight mussyness (is that a word) near the center, the rays are hammered. Excellent horizonal shield lines. Very nice proof.
    OLDER IS BETTER
  • Options
    quickwing--Thanks. Thought you'd consider an 1866 "modern crap." image
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Yes, I think it has a good shot -- very few spots, nice look. >>

There looks to be staining at the upper left portion of the horizontal shield stripes and possibly on the lower reverse. Equally or more importantly, the grade of Proof coins is, far more times than not, limited by the extent of hairlines, which are rarely seen in on-line images. >>

Yes, I agree that hairlines are the main problem with 19th century Proof coins, but this
    coin is already in a 65 holder, so I think we can make a quick assumption that any
    hairlining is minor and unobtrusive. At this point, spotting should be the main difference
    between a 65 and a 65+.
  • Options

<< <i>That's a pretty coin... I'd hate to be a grader at PCGS. The only distraction I see is the weak dentil molding at 6:30 on the reverse. The cameo doesn't show in your photos. >>

imageimage
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

The bigger the pics (in this case) the worse the coin looks, especially proof coins.

Are the stars above C and E in CENTS and under U and T in UNITED slightly recut?

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options

<< <i>Are the stars above C and E in CENTS and under U and T in UNITED slightly recut? >>

Yes, and the 5. I believe it to be a frequent occurrence with the 1866 proof.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file