Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dealer Showcases

I was interested in purchasing a couple dealer showcases because I'll be setting up soon and was curious to find out where some dealers get there showcases from? eBay?

Also, what other necessities are needed for a show.. Table, lighting, loupe, inventory, business cards..

Input is appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome.

Not sure these are the best brand or even what you're looking for, but this coin supply website has it all, including cases:

Link

may want to turn on your private messages as well.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have quite a bit of spendable cash, in different denominations, so you can buy things if they get offered, and so you can make change.
    At least a couple of loupes as well.
    A business ledger to keep track of expenses.

2011 Red Book so you can quote retail prices on the sell side, and a greysheet/bluesheet so you can quote lower buying prices image
    Snacks and drinks because you WILL get hungry.
    An assistant, so you can go to the bathroom and don't have to worry about theft as much, or lost sales.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might be needing some soon... image
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    You might be able to rent cases from the show chairman if you'd prefer.

In addition to the items already mentioned...
    A calculator, scratch paper, a few pens or pencils, a receipt book that makes duplicates (some dealers will want receipts if they buy from you), extra extension cords, something to clean the cases with, extra bulbs for your lights.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard broberts127, good luck in your venture. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    Thanks so far. Iliini provided a good link. Are there any other websites for what I may need?
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    You’ll also need:

Light colored shirts that stain easily. (Test with coffee, mustard, ketchup, chili, etc.)
    Several cloves of garlic in case your breath gets fresh.
    Socks that have not been washed for at least 2 weeks.
    A small sprayer of cat pee to enhance the “lived-in” case aroma.
    Stale cigarette butts for floor decoration
    A copy of the 1957 Blue Book for pricing buying transactions.
    A copy of the current Red Book for pricing selling transactions (always double the catalog price).
    An ugly, grungy plastic jar filled with last year’s Halloween candy.
    A 20-something female table assistant whose vocabulary is limited to “Duhhh. Le’me ask d’a bosz.” But who is so hot they have to turn up the A/C.
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You’ll also need:

Light colored shirts that stain easily. (Test with coffee, mustard, ketchup, chili, etc.)
    A copy of the current Red Book for pricing selling transactions (always double the catalog price).
    A 20-something female table assistant whose vocabulary is limited to “Duhhh. Le’me ask d’a bosz.” But who is so hot they have to turn up the A/C. >>

imageimageimage
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You’ll also need:

A 20-something female table assistant whose vocabulary is limited to “Duhhh. Le’me ask d’a bosz.” But who is so hot they have to turn up the A/C. >>

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    and always be eating a big greasy sloppy hot dog right on top of your case... that always bugs me a bit more than the others image
  • Options
    cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭
    Search for "Allstate display cases", in New Jersey. They were helpful, competitively priced, and shipped quick...
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also check out some of your local coin shops if there are any in your area. Some of them may carry the cases which might be cheaper because of shipping and all. Also, check you local dealers to see if they have any used cases if you want to go that route.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    TevaTeva Posts: 830
    I bought my allstate cases on ebay at half price.
    One thing you need to have at a show is a money pen trust me you need one.
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I might be needing some soon... image >>

My thoughts exactly image

Do most dealers take Credit cards and thus have a processor?

I already take CC and have a processor for my photographic art and could use that I guess.

TIA
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OH one thing not mentioned yet is you will need about 3,000 common date slabbed and raw Morgan Silver Dollars. They will be with you for all of your dealer life, so pick ones you like to look at and pack and unpack, pack and unpack, pack and unpack......
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>You’ll also need:

>>

The ones above are really just optional, as many of your buyers will be supplying their own. image
  • Options
    Appreciate all the support and help.

Does anyone have those eBay links to the All State cases? I sure would like to get a couple.

• Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    What is a money pen?

As for cases, most shows will rent them to you, so you don't need to bring your own, although many dealers will want their own.

If you don't know about cases, I'm wondering if you know about resale permits etc. ? image
  • Options
    TevaTeva Posts: 830
    I should of said counterfeit money pen .
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Options
    I was thinking that I like the dealers who give away inexpensive coins to young kids. I don't have kids but it's nice to see a kid get excited about coins because some dealer gives them a few wheaties or a worn out buffalo nickel. Probably makes their parents more likely to do business with a dealer like that as well. I know I'd rather do business with a dealer like that who is trying to get the youngsters into coins than those dealers who are just there to rip off folks who know nothing and are trying to cash in grandpa's collection. So if you have a box of common junk like old wheaties, dateless buffalos, foreign stuff, culls or anything else 99% of collectors would never pay for then that may be a good way to get rid of them and help your biz at the same time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file