Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone own a coin whose picture is a major coin publication?

mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone own a coin that is pictured in a magazine, Redbook, or other numismatic reference guide?

Comments

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No...just ebay.
    Lance.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RWB was kind enough to put two of my Peace Dollar counterstamps in his book "A Guide Book of Peace Dollars" published by Whitman.

Page 142,

the Camp David Peace Summit in original holder and the 1995 Yitzhak Rabin counterstamp at the bottom of the page.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to say front page of Coin World, May 7, 2007 -- plain edge 2007-D GW dollar in PCGS 66 -- but I sold that one and kept a 65.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without doing an actual count I know that I own well over 50 plate coins featured in the following publications...

RWB's Peace $1 Book, VAM, Redbook, David Lawrence Barber books, Larry Briggs Seated Quarters, Russell Rulau's Hard Times Tokens 1832-1844, Edgar Adams 1914 plates of Lyman Low's HTT's, Mike Byers Worlds Greatest Mint Errors, etc, etc, etc.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaime Hernandez used the coin on the left in his report in the now defunct "Rare Coin Market Report" in the spring of 2007.
    M. Wallace used a couple of photos of mine in his "small dollar" website, too. Neither are major except to those who follow moderns.

Yours truly,

Joe Pflug
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Does having a picture of a coin on the VAM guide at vamworld.com count? If so, the first one on this page is mine 1921-D VAM 1G
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of Cameo Franklins for Tomaska's first book on proof coinage from 1950-70.
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent MJ! imageimage

Here is one of mine that was on the cover of Coin Values Magazine Sept. 5, 2005... image The article was called "Rainbow Toned Morgan Dollars Sizzle!" (more pics in the article).... Sorry for my crummy image...

ABimage

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a Mexican coin from the 1845 book, "The Monograph of the Silver Dollar" by Riddell of the New Orleans mint.

Look at coin #30 here. Yes, it has a hole in it!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AB

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Snowman24Snowman24 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    Here is mine from 2007 1988/89 RDV-006 Lincoln cent

i sorta knew it was going to be in but i had no idea what was going to be said in Coin World - Snowman

here is a Link on Coneca list that shows a pic 1988/89 Link

• Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Without doing an actual count I know that I own well over 50 plate coins featured in the following publications...

RWB's Peace $1 Book, VAM, Redbook, David Lawrence Barber books, Larry Briggs Seated Quarters, Russell Rulau's Hard Times Tokens 1832-1844, Edgar Adams 1914 plates of Lyman Low's HTT's, Mike Byers Worlds Greatest Mint Errors, etc, etc, etc. >>

show off image
  • Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    I have numerous plate coins that are pictured in Cherrypickers' Guide, Fletcher's Shield Five Cent Series, and Bowers' Shield and Liberty Nickels books.

I could add numerous coins pictured in SNV, but I suspect that's cheating since it's my creation.

I enjoy owning plate coins, and went out of my way to purchase several when they became available. My best snag in this regard was a CPG plate coin lying unattributed in a holder on eBay.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

My '09 VDB PR65RB had an article about it in the "Rare Coin Market Report". I also have a few MPLs that are plate coins in "Coinfacts".
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my coins is plated in "An Illustrated Catalogue of the French Billon Coinage in the Americas" by Robert A. Vlack.

I also have a couple of other coins that are plated on CoinFacts.
  • Options
    mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    I own the 09sVDB fake pictured in the book "Looking Through Lincoln Cents: A Chronology of a Series
    ~ Charles D. Daughtrey" written by a forum member. Kind of turns a lemon into lemonade for me image.

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This 1803 half dime is pictured in Walter Breen's Encyclopedia

imageimage

The obverse of 1800 B-20 Bust Dollar is the plate coin from M.H. Bolender's die variety book on early silver dollars. This was the major reference work on the subject for many years.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own the plate coin for the MS grade of the Liberty quarter eagle in the Official ANA Grading Guide book. When the ANA produced their grading reference book, they used their extensive photo archives from when they produced the ANACS photo certificates.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My '09 VDB PR65RB had an article about it in the "Rare Coin Market Report". I also have a few MPLs that are plate coins in "Coinfacts". >>

I hate to break it to you Curly, 'cuz you know I like you, but it has become apparant to me that whichever top pop coin of a particular issue that has been true-viewed most recently automatically becomes the plate coin for Coinfacts. I only found this out as I kept seeing several of my recently true-viewed top poppers on the front page of coinfacts for the issue. For copper, oddly, the BN coin takes precedence, even if there are true-viewed RBs and RDs. This is probably because the coin number for a BN coin is lower than the coin number for a RD coin.

Check the Memorial Cents page. My old 1961 PR66BN (now in ProofCents' hands) is THE plate coin for the series. This is likely because it is the lowest PCGS coin-numbered issue that has been true-viewed, as I had that coin photographed last summer. I do now own another in the same date and grade, so I'll bet you that if I got that one true-viewed, it would usurp my old coin's auspicious spot in coinfacts.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, this coin has peen plated in Kevin Flynn's reference on MPLs. My only RD Matte:
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1968-D DDR 1-R-I and 1970-D DDO 2-O-I quarters that are pictured on the cover of the 4th edition, 2nd volume of the CPG are mine-the '70-D is my discovery coin. Also, may other doubled die quarters and Buffs and several other series of coins in several reference books and publications.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file