Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is fraud being committed with this BVG card..

Last night someone sold a BVG 9.5 1979 Pete Rose O-Pee-Chee. I was getting ready to bid on it when I noticed that the serial number was not on the label. I am too ignorant to post the auction here. Let me get some of your thoughts.image
Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    I am not too well versed with BVG, but I will take a stab and say that not all of the slabs have serial numbers...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Serial # on the back most likely.....
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    It's likely on the back. See here...
    link
  • Options
    Yup they are the old labels with the subgrades and serial # on the back...

• Options

<< <i>Yup they are the old labels with the subgrades and serial # on the back... >>

Bingo. Just like this Aaron.

"It's not so important who starts the game but who finishes it."
    - John Wooden
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Lots of high grade BVG o-pee-chee cards are sheet cut. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but keep that in mind when bidding. You probably can't cross it to a PSA holder.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    Is this the Link for the mentioned auction?
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your responses. I guess I should have bid on it.image
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for your responses. I guess I should have bid on it.image >>

I think you got off lucky. Part of the appeal (IMHO) of a quality card is that it survived primitive printing and cutting methods and then primitive packaging and distribution, then avoided all kinds of kid abuse.

Sheet cut cards missed all of that.

Here's my only sheet cut card. It's a 78 opc thurman munson in BVG 9. I love the pose and the card so I bought it knowing it was sheet cut. I think it cost me $10 with shipping.

I think you did real well by not bidding.

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes I remove serial numbers because I don't want buyers backtracking through the PSA database to find out how many I have on hand.