Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

+'d before Secure Plus?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
This PCGS AU58FH 1918-D arrived last week and is by far the best full head on an AU of this date I've seen, as it's another underrated tougher Denver delivery that is a strike disaster.

The fields on this example are impeccably unimpaired for an AU, and it's also extremely visually appealing in hand.

This SLQ does however posses AU55 wear on the high points and I'm wondering if the non rub conditions bumped it into the next level image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the strike and lack of hits bumped it up, super nice pieceimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

If you had posted a GTG on it, I would have said 53-55 based on the wear, however, that coin has such nice surfaces and such a sharp head that there's your + right there.

Very nice pickup! image
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options

<< <i>If you had posted a GTG on it, I would have said 53-55 based on the wear, however, that coin has such nice surfaces and such a sharp head that there's your + right there.

Very nice pickup! image >>

Thanks yet AU53's a bit harsh as at that grade all trace evidence of the chainmail on her breast dissipates replaced by a solid flat spot, along with the right thigh roundness and the skirt line.
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    Your out of collarness, I have a few Type 3 (Using my scale image AUs that have nice chain mail yet are lower grade.. a 1924 50 with weak luster but sharp detail and a 1918 55 with cool toning but also strong chain mail.

On a 58 I like to see em real flashy with just rub on her kneecap and shield.

I was going with 53 due to thge rub all over her torso and a lot on the top of the eagle's wing and on the faces of the lettering, but IMO 55 is spot on, but I could sure see a 53.

Still, that's a SUPER nice coin IMO and I am indeed jealous.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options

<< <i>Your out of collarness, >>

I'll read the rest of your post after I stop image
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    I have studied the coin under a stereo microscope ;

taking into consideration the striking characteristics of the 1918-D quarter and the fact that the majority of the high point discoloration is not actual wear ,

that the "friction" up and down the knee and shin is confined to a width of less then 1/64th of an inch ,

,,,,,,,,,,the coin is as high end on the AU58 scale as you can get .

I contend that you ripped one of the nicest PCGS AU 58 Full Head 1918-D quarters on the planet and that you should send the seller

the difference between what you paid and the sellers original full asking price !

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

If you had posted a GTG on it, I would have said 53-55 based on the wear, however, that coin has such nice surfaces and such a sharp head that there's your + right there.

Very nice pickup! image >>

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one, beautiful, SLQ... congratulations... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file