Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1802/1 Bust Dollar--A wonderful overdate and proof that "Details" Graded coins aren't all

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
I like overdates, but so often they're hard to see with the naked eye, or have just a hint of the original date. This piece, however, is among the clearest overdates you can get, with the 2 and 1 both full and, since it's a dollar, large.

The coin, while given a details grade for being cleaned, is still quite nice. It's retoned a bit, and lacking hairlines, isn't that different from most coins of this era. In fact, I'm a bit surprised that it didn't grade outright, as both PCGS and NGC tend to be rather lenient towards lightly colored early silver. I recently sold this piece, but enjoyed getting to play with it for a little while.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice example Jeremy.... I like that one. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    I love overdates! image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Thanks a very nice coin
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    Jeremy, nice coin & nice close-ups. It's a good point to make, that details
    coins can be right for many collections.
    Yours is a B1, with the clash mark under the chin and longer right serifs on
    the rev "T's".

Here's a B3, with the 1 slightly right of center, a lump between S8 & S9 and
    the rev D spike pointing to the 4th feather.

I regret this coin is no longer mine!
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I regret this coin is no longer mine! >>

I regret that this coin was never mine image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That one i wouldnt mind owning/having in my my collection image I like that one indeed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file