Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Utah is planning a commemorative coin for staff members who take part in execution. Firing Squad wil

UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
Corrections clarifies coin planned for staffers in Gardner execution
April 27th, 2010 @ 1:13pm

SALT LAKE CITY -- The Utah Department of Corrections is clarifying what staffers who participate in the scheduled execution of Ronnie Lee Gardner will be given.

It was reported the corrections department is planning a commemorative coin for staff members who take part in the execution.

Department spokesman Steve Gehrke said in the past, those who've played a role in an execution have been given service ribbons for going above their normal call of duty. The difference this time is there will be no ribbons. Instead, many are likely to receive a coin.

The Deseret News reported the Utah Department of Corrections was planning a memento for the planned execution of convicted killer Ronnie Lee Gardner. But it's a coin that Gehrke said will be put out on an annual basis and won't make reference to any specific event.

"We want to recognize staff for the time they've put in or the overtime and the special duties they put in," said Gehrke. "But, no, we don't want to do anything that's directly tied to the execution or give the community the sense that we're rewarding people for carrying out an execution."

A display of commemorative pins now in a storage room at the corrections department offices includes pins for work on past executions. Staff have earned the pins over the years for various acts of service beyond their ordinary daily duties.

Gehrke said people who work in corrections in Utah know that participating in an execution is potentially a part of their job. "It's a very serious process that we take very seriously, and we'll do our jobs," he said.

Third District Judge Robin Reese signed the death warrant for Gardner, 49, on Friday. The execution, which will be Utah's first this century, is scheduled for June 18.

Gardner's attorneys are still working to appeal the execution warrant.

Edited to add "Convicted Killer Chooses Firing Squad" Link
I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a strange event to commemmorate.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    wow!
    Save $$$ on many purchases to include EBAY and EBay Stores.

Big Crumbs Link

Mr Rebates Link

EBates Link

Chucknra@yahoo.com
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    Very interesting but I'm guessing we will never get to see what these coins or medals will look like and If they are coins then what denomination will they be? image
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea... as long as it is done in a manner that does not make executed seem heroic. They are low-lifes who should be forgotten as soon as possible. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gotta wonder who would flip that. I imagine some folks would keepsake something like that, but some others might not want to have any memento around from that too.
  • Options
    It should be a plugged nickel.
  • Options
    I wonder what this medal looks like? I'm sure it's not as dramatic as those conder tokens shown in other threads with the body hanging from the gallows.

• Options

<< <i>I like the idea... as long as it is done in a manner that does not make executed seem heroic. They are low-lifes who should be forgotten as soon as possible. Cheers, RickO >>

Agree. It's a shame that these low life scum criminals are executed so rarely that the event is worthy of a medal.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It should be a plugged nickel. >>

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Has it shown up on ebay yet?image
    Paul
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    How much is it good for in the commissary?
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can a state legally make a coin? Or should it be called a commemorative medal?
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭

<< <i>Can a state legally make a coin? Or should it be called a commemorative medal? >>

It is probably allot more like a medal. I have seen other police coins for events, but they did not look at all like a coins we are used to.
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    I REALLY want one of these!
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Kinda morbid......A death medal.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I would rather have the actual bullet or rope for my momento. NOT

That seems a little tasteless IMO and i generally do not care. I am glad i am not involved.

Excute and be done with it. I would not want to walk around with a ribbon saying i was the one that did it. LOL

I would imagine that if coin medals are done some involved will be looking to make a fast buck on it and that others would be willing to buy it.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sell those coins on a 'pay-per-view'. Plug 'im and slab 'em.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Kinda morbid......A death medal. >>

whoa, death metal!!! image

....oh, you said "medal"

....nevermind image
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knowing how popular "Challenge Coins" are now I would expect that is where the "Coin" came from.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow a commemorative with a bunch of holes in it coolies image
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    I like it. Hopefully the mintage will increase as the years pass. image
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they hang him they could cut the rope up in little pcs,,,,, just like they do with a championship basketball net image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options

<< <i>If they hang him they could cut the rope up in little pcs,,,,, just like they do with a championship basketball net image >>

He elected death by firing squad so maybe empty shell casings or bullets will be souvenirs.

• Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. I like it. The Mint needs to issue a commem celebrating "x" number of years of the death penalty for each state that has one.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭
    I find the entire story to be rather tasteless and can't help but wonder why it was run in the first place?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    I find this thread to be extremely tasteless. Have any of you read about the number of death row
    inmates that have been freed due to unequivocal DNA evidence that exonerated them? Should the process
    have been speeded up so we could execute innocent prisoners?
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    deviousdevious Posts: 1,690
    as a taoist, death is to be honored, not glorified. we do not spout off how we had the awesomeness to kill somebody, but rather we morn and celebrate the death of the person that we killed and move along quickly. i certainly would not want any coin or medal commemorating such an event.
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>death medal. >>

they should give it to those with the live ammo.

<< <i>Should the process have been speeded up ... >>

absolutely!
    he REQUESTED a firing squad.

the guilty need to address the consequences of their actions!
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Now that's a rather interesting piece of exonumia....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file