Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Purchasing as the Recession Eases Off

As the economy is slowly picking up again for us poor working people I have noticed something. The few inexpensive purchases I have made of recent make me just as happy as major purchases of the past. The last, what I consider a major purchase, was a set of 1951 Carver Washington Commems graded PCGS 66, 66, 65. The last few purchases I have made have been a few proof coins and a few proof sets, something I never used to really bother with. The thing is I am just as excited to see these coins arrive as I ever was the major additions to my Commem collection that I used to buy. Just being able to buy coins again makes me feel normal. I may never go there again.

Ron

Edited to add the year to the set of coins.
Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

Comments

• Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019

<< <i>When did you see the recession easing or is that what you are hearing by the commie run press? >>

I am going by the fact that my job is picking up a little. We are starting to work overtime again to get caught up a bit.
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options

<< <i>Seriously that is great news, nothing we can thank the current admin for that is for sure. I hope we all do better and pull out of this mess soon! >>

we will start bg time come novenber. (i hope)
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may be right. I'm swamped with orders in my business but not sure if this is from a bit of advertising, spring coming or my newly redesigned website. Getting the number 1 google search spot no doubt helps too. But it seems more people are spending
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Seriously that is great news, nothing we can thank the current admin for that is for sure. I hope we all do better and pull out of this mess soon! >>

we will start bg time come novenber. (i hope) >>

I hear ya brother!
    Save $$$ on many purchases to include EBAY and EBay Stores.

Big Crumbs Link

Mr Rebates Link

EBates Link

Chucknra@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When did you see the recession easing or is that what you are hearing by the commie run press? >>

Huh? You hate obama so much that you want to pretend things aren't improving? I'm no fan of the current or the former admin, but factory orders in a wide number of sectors have been improving for months. Corp profits are improving. Stock and bond markets are way up off there lows. Hiring is of course lagging, so unemployment remains high, but that is usually the last major indicator to improve. The Kudlow report (which I assure you hates Obama and is so far right wing most of the time I can hardly stand it) has been boasting about the 'V-shaped recovery' for months, and has the data to back it up. If your feet are wet and you see pyramids, you may be standing in d'Nile image
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some indications in some sectors that things may be improving. However, we are far from recovery and in an economic balancing act at the moment. We could easily go either way. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The few inexpensive purchases I have made of recent make me just as happy as major purchases of the past. >>

I think most colllectors experience this in some form. A coin does not have to be expensive to be enjoyed. It just depends on the coin and your reason for buying it.

I don't think this has anything to do with a recession or politics. Most collectors go through periods where we are thin or flush and we adjust our purchases accordingly.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont see things getting all that much better until the regime we got now is out. We shall see... jmo
  • Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭
    Currently having the worst month since Katrina in 2005. I sure hope it gets better.
  • Options
    Ok, a few points ...

<< <i>I dont see things getting all that much better until the regime we got now is out. We shall see... jmo >>

It doesn't matter what regime is in power. They are never concerned about the common man.

Second. My field was busy for a few years after the recession hit. Then I got layed off and am still layed off. I'm at the point in my life(age) that i don't have my old fallback of manual labor. But I've still found the funds to get back into coin collecting. It may not be much, but in the last 2 months I've spent $335 on coins and supplies and am ready to purchase web hosting. We still eat, rent's paid, we got lights and hot water. But things, and my collection, would be a lot better if I could find a job.

To conclude, my purchasing has increased, but will increase more once it get's even better
    <><><><><><>sig<><><><><><>

Love Errors and Varieties

<><><><>

WTB an error forum!
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I have more vacant duplexs than i have had at anytime over the last 20 years. I stayed 100 percent full for years, If i had one move out i generally had one move in the next day. I had 12 vacant duplexs in November and i have 8 now. I rented 2 this week. The economy suxs for the little working guy. I had 10 or so rent to gas industry workers, 8 have now lost there jobs. My income is down 5k a month on rentals but my other business is up 10k so in the end, it is not to bad.

I think i will find out how the economy really is in a few weeks when i place my house on the market. I would imagine 500k houses around here are dead, hopefully the 6 acres i am listing with the house will help.

As far as buying smaller dollar amount coins and having fun?? You bet, i have been buying business strike ms62-64 liberty v-nickels. I have bought 25 different dates over the last 3 months from 62 dollars to a little under 300 each.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file